What are some reasons why I should buy a laptop?

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Pros:
Its portable.
Wireless computing.

Cons:
Its too expensive.
Can't really upgrade anything.

Anything else?

acidvoodoo

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2002
for the same money you good get a sweet ass desktop, dunno if thats a pro or con, depends how you look at it

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Get a sexy Apple laptop and use it to pick up younger dudes as you compute away on subways and park benches.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: LordJezo
Get a sexy Apple laptop and use it to pick up younger dudes as you compute away on subways and park benches.
But I'm a dude, dude.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I think they are a waste, unless you NEED the portability. For teh same price you cang et a MUCH better desktop.

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by: her209
But I'm a dude, dude.

Nobody's judging you... ;)

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: kevin000
Originally posted by: her209
But I'm a dude, dude.
Nobody's judging you... ;)
Hey hey now... I don't want to be part of your sick sexual fantasies.

Aiiiieeeee.... nooooo no nooo nooo no no...

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
I'd like to get a laptop, but know it'd just turn into a heavy ass $2000 mp3 player....not really worth it.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Pros:
Its portable.
Wireless computing.
So how often would you actually sit on the deck with your laptop neffing as you watch the sunset?

What real uses do you have for one to justify the extra cost and lack of power / upgradability?

oniq

Banned
Feb 17, 2002
Matters what you need it for, you can find $700 Sony SR33 (subnotebook) on the web at various stores and on Ebay. I plan on getting one even though I already have a laptop. Its like a big handheld that runs XP :)

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
If you really don't have any reason to get it, don't bother, you'll end up not using it and it will have been a big waste of money.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
Pros:
Its portable.
Wireless computing.
So how often would you actually sit on the deck with your laptop neffing as you watch the sunset?

What real uses do you have for one to justify the extra cost and lack of power / upgradability?
Because I CAN watch the sunset and nef at the same time!!!! :D:D:D

SlowSS

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2002
I like my latop for following reasons;

I could take it to the garage and do diagnostic test on my car

With wireless card, I could sit in back yard and browse internet

When I travel, it comes handy

Kids uses it for various reasons in their own room and not be bothered

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Originally posted by: SlowSS
I like my latop for following reasons;

Kids uses it for various reasons in their own room and not be bothered

Don't forget to tell them how to clear the History and Temporary Internet files! ;)

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
portability and wireless internet.

take it to your bed. take it to dinner table. take it to the couch. take to the bathroom. Whatever floats your boat.

when routers and access points and cards become cheaper or if i get a huge raise, ill move into it.

KthxBye

Aug 7, 2001
Matters what you need it for, you can find $700 Sony SR33 (subnotebook) on the web at various stores and on Ebay. I plan on getting one even though I already have a laptop. Its like a big handheld that runs XP

600mhz? Can that handle XP?

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Since you already have (several) good fast pc's, why not get a medium speed laptop to experiment? I didn't think I'd have any use for a laptop either, until I bought my first thinkpad. It was a 765L, p166mmx with 56mb of ram. When I found out how much I used it (wired surfing from the La-z-boy), I was immediatly glad I bought it.

It's chugged along great as a second PC for me. I currently keep it at my parents' house so I can do email and such when I'm visiting. About a week ago, I bought a Thinkpad T20 (p3 700, 256mb ram, 12gb drive, DVD, lan/modem/etc) off of ebay for $600 shipped, which is about what they go for. I'm going wireless and needed something with more battery life and a faster processor to really take advantage of it.

The bottom line is, a new, top of the line laptop is great if you can afford it, however, I do anything intensive on my desktop, so a lower preforming laptop is a cheaper and better alternative for me, especially when I certainly don't need two pc's both with 1.5ghz+ processors (for one person)

oniq

Banned
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: KthxBye
Matters what you need it for, you can find $700 Sony SR33 (subnotebook) on the web at various stores and on Ebay. I plan on getting one even though I already have a laptop. Its like a big handheld that runs XP

600mhz? Can that handle XP?

My dad ran XP Pro on a PII 400mhz..

Apr 5, 2000
Originally posted by: notfred
If you really don't have any reason to get it, don't bother, you'll end up not using it and it will have been a big waste of money.

Agreed. I've had 5 laptops in the past 3 years, ranging from middle end at the time (P166) to top of the line (P3-800), all of which I paid under $600 for each one, and well I realized I had no real use for it, despite being able to play games/surf the net in bed.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
Wheres Rossman?

Just got back from Costco & Best Buy, why, what'd I miss?

her209 - If you don't absolutely NEED (not want but NEED) a laptop then I wouldn't buy one. If you do buy one don't buy the $699 Costco/BB/CC special after $400 in rebates ... buy a Dell Inspiron 4150, Compaq Presario 1500T or an IBM ThinkPad A series laptop for $999 from IBM's eBay store (sorry I can't linkify because of this).

I like my laptop because of the portability it offers me but I never take it outside of the house. One of the best things is to surf the net from your couch with no wires using WiFi, or watch a DVD or whatever you want.