What are some good mods for Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Tale Of Two Wastelands; don't bother running Fallout 3 on it's own, it's a complete and utter mess. You'll really want to play it NV's engine. Bonus, you get two wastelands worth of items to plunder.

After that, TTWInteriors. A bunch of buildings in the games were just boarded up, same thing happened in Fallout 4. Couple of users built mods that make unique interiors for damn near all of the closed off buildings.

Robco Certified is always fun, albeit unfinished. Having an army of Lobotomites...Aww yeah.

oh yeh an sexout too man

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I haven't had any problems with Fallout 3 lately, once I installed GFWL anyway. I will check out those mods, though; I'm still in the beginning of Fallout 3 (decided to replay, it's been a while and I never finished it previously). :D

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
NMC's and Poco Bueno texture packs, Project Nevada, Nevada Skies, Weapon Mods Expanded, Bounties I & II, Beyond Boulderdome, A World of Pain, Mission Mohave, Willow Follower (best of all official and fan-made companions), and The Inheritance are all must-have New Vegas mods for me, in addition to your preferred HUD and stability fixes. I also prefer playing through Project Brazil to start my New Vegas game.

Haven't played A Tale of Two Wastelands. Most people seem to like it, but it does limit your available mods. I prefer to mod the Fallout 3 engine per Gopher's excellent Youtube series. Beyond that, NMC's texture pack, Weapon Mod Kits, Fallout 3 Redesigned, Fallout Wanderer's Edition, Mart's Mutant Mod, DC interiors, Project Reality, CALIBR, Alton IL, Ties That Bind, Sydney Follower, Arefu Expanded, and especially GNR Enhanced are my recommendations in addition to your preferred UI mods and required stability & performance mods (which seem to vary greatly in need and effect.)

Two other mod-related items. First, the second half of Project Brazil is currently slated to be out in January to March. This mod takes place in a brand new, non-adjacent world space and requires starting a new character, so if you want to play it all you may wish to start with Fallout 3 or A Tale of Two Wastelands' Fallout 3 content. Second, The Frontier is slated to release in late winter (which probably means early summer.) This is a separate world space comparable (at least eventually) to the Mohave world space and will take your existing high level New Vegas character. These two mods are why I have high hopes that paid mods will one-day help make some of these grand dreams come true.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Holy crap, that's a lot of mods. Fallout 3 is perfectly stable for me right now - I'm hesitant to touch it too much, but from what I've read mods can dramatically improve the game. Some weapon variety would really be nice.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Holy crap, that's a lot of mods. Fallout 3 is perfectly stable for me right now - I'm hesitant to touch it too much, but from what I've read mods can dramatically improve the game. Some weapon variety would really be nice.
I'm at work right now, but if memory serves I'm running 80 to 100 mods in each game. However, it definitely gets less stable as you approach 75 or so. I deal with it 'cause it's so much more fun. I'm at heart a shooter guy and find Fallout 3 and New Vegas to be pretty much unplayable.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
New Vegas:

Mission Mojave Ultimate Edition - fixes many many quest scripting bugs

Willow is a fun replacement companion if you've already played a time or two with the regular ones.

I've played NV a few times now but have never tried it with a pile of mods, just the DLC, MMUE fixpack, and once with Willow.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I'm at work right now, but if memory serves I'm running 80 to 100 mods in each game. However, it definitely gets less stable as you approach 75 or so. I deal with it 'cause it's so much more fun. I'm at heart a shooter guy and find Fallout 3 and New Vegas to be pretty much unplayable.

:eek:

I'm not sure I have the time or patience to acquire/install/configure that many mods!

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
I have been thinking on this too so I will keep an eye out on this thread.

I would assume any un-official patches like Skyrim had would be obvious, as well as the on to get FO3 to work on Win7 and up

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I have been thinking on this too so I will keep an eye out on this thread.

I would assume any un-official patches like Skyrim had would be obvious, as well as the on to get FO3 to work on Win7 and up

I have the Steam version of FO3 and after installing Games for Windows Live, it works fine without mods. No crashing problems yet.