What are some good meals for vegatarians?

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
I'm in the process of trying to improve my diet. I was thinking it would probably be best to start off by cutting out all junkfood and meats out of my diet for 2 days out the week. I'll probably never be a true vegatarian but I'm plan on drastically reducing the amount of unhealthy foods I take in.

Anyone have suggestions on healthy but tasty meals?

Also I'm interested in learning what are the best exercises to put on muscle.

Idiot56209

May 22, 2001
ANYTHING by Boca.

I'm NOT a vegetarian, but because Boca burgers and italian sausages and hot dogs taste so good, WHY WOULD I BOTHER EATING THE REAL THING?!?!

I kid you not. I swear some people eat meat just because they can! :Q

Another thing that's good is Morning Star Farm's Chikin' Nuggest (I like the Spicy Buffalo) and Amy's Shephard Pie. Yummm... Mashed Taters. :p

New Age Girl (Dead Eye Dick)

jamison

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2001
I enjoy Broccoli and Brown Sauce from any local chinese take out place. Ask for little or no oil, and it is pretty healthy, yet very tasty, and you are eating some healthy broccoli!

Chicken is healthy also, but only get chicken and broccoli unless you ask for no oil.

I just hope I didn't waste my time because you hate chinese food, or broccoli, lol :D

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000

<< I enjoy Broccoli and Brown Sauce from any local chinese take out place. Ask for little or no oil, and it is pretty healthy, yet very tasty, and you are eating some healthy broccoli!

Chicken is healthy also, but only get chicken and broccoli unless you ask for no oil.

I just hope I didn't waste my time because you hate chinese food, or broccoli, lol :D
>>

actually I love chinese food, I eat broccoli but I prefer peadpods

TripleJ

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2001
Jungle Curry doesn't have any meat in it, does it? Mmmmmm. that's nice.

mosdef

Banned
May 14, 2000

<< I enjoy Broccoli and Brown Sauce from any local chinese take out place. Ask for little or no oil, and it is pretty healthy, yet very tasty, and you are eating some healthy broccoli!

>>

Hehe, good ol' vegetarian chicken ;).

-mosdef

teckmaster

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2000
I kinda like eating the veggie burgers and things like that. I worked at a hospital that was owned by Seventh Day Adventists followers and they don't eat meat, so the hospital didn't serve it. It's amazing how good the fake stuff tastes too.

Kosugi

Jan 9, 2001
The unfortunate thing about alot of pre-packaged vegetarian foods is that they are very high in sodium. After all, they have to get their flavor from somewhere.

If you are just experimenting with &quot;vegetarianism&quot;, which it sounds like you are just playing with it, might I recommend a few stand bys. Simple pastas, but not too much. Rice, again not too much, due to high carbs and simple sugars, they can give you alot of energy, but the resultant rise in insulin will wipe you out.

Eat a hearty salad. Do not drown it in fatty dressings. You aren't helping yourself if you do.

I regularly make a vegetarian chili, which is very good, and is high protein.

You may also want to consider becoming a &quot;weak vegetarian&quot;, and eat fish. Fish is probably the healthiest &quot;meat&quot; there is, and if you bake it or grill it it retains its health benefits. I would also recommend getting some time of electric George Foreman like grill. They really are great for cooking.

As far as restaurants go, Indian restaurants is by far the most vegetarian-friendly. Probably followed by Mexican restuaruants, where you can swap the meat for beans.

Good luck. I stopped eating red meat, chicken, and pork more than a decade ago, and rarely do I miss it.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
My ancestors spent millions and millions of years getting me to the top of the food chain. I will not disrespect that legacy by becoming a vegetarian...

unless it's pasta night, paisanos!

xraymongral

Banned
Nov 25, 2000
Falafil is good, so is tempeh. I cant get either one where I live, but I used to eat both all the time when I lived in Ann Arbor.

Peetoeng

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2000

Salad is great. If you don't like the bitterness in brocolli, add red bell-pepper or carrot. I like my salad undressed ;).
Humus, not one for your lawn!
Tofu and tempe are good source of protein.]

IJump

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
I like steak, medium rare. Does that count as vegetarian?

Seriously (or as seriously as one can be here), noodles, and lots of them. mmmmm good. That's what I like if I am not eating meat, which is rare.

May 31, 2001

<< My ancestors spent millions and millions of years getting me to the top of the food chain. I will not disrespect that legacy by becoming a vegetarian...

unless it's pasta night, paisanos!
>>

My opinion of Mwilding just gets better and better. :D

Remember folks, vegetables are NOT food! Vegetables are what FOOD EATS! :D

Wedesdo

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
lol @ milding

I completely agree... vegetarians (those who don't eat meat because of &quot;animal rights&quot;) are devolved!!! (as in de-evolved)...

I WILL NOT GO A STEP BACK!

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I see no point in giving up meat. My outlook is that if humans weren't made to eat it, then it would be poisonous.

Arkitech - if you want to put on muscle, then you're going to need a high protein diet, which is somewhat harder to do on a vegetarian diet.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
A combination of hummus and taboule is my favorite... a bit of work to make from scratch, though...

The Moosewood Cookbook and anything else by Molly Katzen has tasty vegetarian recipes that even meat eaters enjoy.

I am a 'part time' or 'semi' vegetarian.