Question What are some affordable graphics cards these days?

amd6502

Apr 21, 2017
I'm not having much luck finding affordable cards online. I'm looking for anything in a very broad range. From HD 7750 all the way to up to RX-560, as long as the Perf/Price is high.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
ummm.... at this point i think your honestly better off getting a newer i5 or i7 /w Iris XG, or even a Ryzen 5700G /w Radeon and not mess with looking for dedicated video cards, if all your looking for is a 7750/RX 560 class.

IGP to hold you off until the cypto's implode on themselves to oblivion, and then try to snag a second hand 3060/3070 that people will unload in masses.

amd6502

Apr 21, 2017
Well, this is for an Opteron 3365 build. All the options like a rx-560 must be out of stock, because the asking prices are just silly. I dug around a little more and am finding that if one is ok to be on the low end spectrum (IGP equivalent, like an A8-7600), then there is actually plenty of old stuff (pulls from OEM office boxes) available and cheap. R5 240/340 for around $20. I ended up going for a $15 HD7570 because its hdmi port was more preferable over the R5's Display Port.

As long as it ends up playing1080p-ish video smoothly I'm happy enough with the choice.

I had no idea the miners are being this bad again (I thought it was more the sad state of the Fabs). It could also be that government orders of SSDs and RAM are just as bad as impact of miner, maybe worse. Add in XB/PS5 consoles. It's odd that some combination of things is sucking all that capacity dry.

Well, if AMD can't produce more 560 and 580/590's soon then maybe they should start up production of 28nm (Bonaire or Cape Verde) again.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
If your not a gamer, you may want to consider quadro cards.

P2000

P400

These are not a gamer card, but they will get the job done.
The P2000 also holds its value pretty well, because it has the ability to transcode x265 in unlimited simultaneous streams. Its a Plex / Emby Favorite transcoding card.

But again, its not a gamer card.

Last edited:

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
In my country, new R5 230 supply is plentiful and it's not affected by crypto boom nor silicon shortage. Although, I'm not aware TeraScale2 performance in decoding new video codec. You better off with GT710 which also in good supply.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
ummm.... at this point i think your honestly better off getting a newer i5 or i7 /w Iris XG, or even a Ryzen 5700G /w Radeon and not mess with looking for dedicated video cards, if all your looking for is a 7750/RX 560 class.

IGP to hold you off until the cypto's implode on themselves to oblivion, and then try to snag a second hand 3060/3070 that people will unload in masses.

I have a hunch that we would be seeing video card shortages even if it wasn't for crypto mining. As far as I know, you can't mine crypto on an XBox Series X or Playstation 5 and those are unobtainium as well.

Looking at Newegg, it looks like the best video card that's actually available directly from them is a Geforce 1030 for $150. That's not great, but it's better than a Radeon HD 7750 :)

Last edited:

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Well, this is for an Opteron 3365 build. All the options like a rx-560 must be out of stock, because the asking prices are just silly. I dug around a little more and am finding that if one is ok to be on the low end spectrum (IGP equivalent, like an A8-7600), then there is actually plenty of old stuff (pulls from OEM office boxes) available and cheap. R5 240/340 for around $20. I ended up going for a $15 HD7570 because its hdmi port was more preferable over the R5's Display Port.

As long as it ends up playing1080p-ish video smoothly I'm happy enough with the choice.

I had no idea the miners are being this bad again (I thought it was more the sad state of the Fabs). It could also be that government orders of SSDs and RAM are just as bad as impact of miner, maybe worse. Add in XB/PS5 consoles. It's odd that some combination of things is sucking all that capacity dry.

Well, if AMD can't produce more 560 and 580/590's soon then maybe they should start up production of 28nm (Bonaire or Cape Verde) again.
Thanks for the heads up on the low end. Just lost my card and am definitely not paying these prices. Many other interests, so gaming can wait till prices drop.

Reactions: amd6502

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
I haven't looked at GPU stuff in literally months. Last time I looked at anything it was before Ryzen 5000 series release.

I just went poking around to see if any the APU's from Ryzen had settled, since a GPU is pointless to shop for unless it's the center piece of your passion. The APU's are ridiculously priced still, and the lower end CPU's are stupidly priced as well. Then there are these Ryzen 5000 series that are MSRP right there on Amazon. I'm totally confused how a 5600x and 3600x have the same price on Amazon. Then I go looking for GPUs. Not even a gaming GPU, but just a friggn basic GPU so that you can have display on your PC if you do not get an APU. Can't even find basic GPUs for simply display purposes, like a GT730 or similar that are all over $100. Like, where are the dead simple passive heat sink GPUs for HTPC/display that are nothing but driving displays and sending audio over HDMI out that are $50? I guess the market really is just horrible still. I found a GT710 passive heat sink for like $70. Ridiculous. So back to looking at APU's. Ridiculous.

:(

Very best,

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I haven't looked at GPU stuff in literally months. Last time I looked at anything it was before Ryzen 5000 series release.

I just went poking around to see if any the APU's from Ryzen had settled, since a GPU is pointless to shop for unless it's the center piece of your passion. The APU's are ridiculously priced still, and the lower end CPU's are stupidly priced as well. Then there are these Ryzen 5000 series that are MSRP right there on Amazon. I'm totally confused how a 5600x and 3600x have the same price on Amazon. Then I go looking for GPUs. Not even a gaming GPU, but just a friggn basic GPU so that you can have display on your PC if you do not get an APU. Can't even find basic GPUs for simply display purposes, like a GT730 or similar that are all over $100. Like, where are the dead simple passive heat sink GPUs for HTPC/display that are nothing but driving displays and sending audio over HDMI out that are $50? I guess the market really is just horrible still. I found a GT710 passive heat sink for like $70. Ridiculous. So back to looking at APU's. Ridiculous.

:(

Very best,

Check the FS/FT thread here if you can - K620 for $35 shipped is a solid deal in todays market and is Maxwell based and gets to use NVidias shiny drivers because Quadro.

Can get K420 Quadros for $15 shipped on eBay as well on the regular.

Reactions: MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Check the FS/FT thread here if you can - K620 for $35 shipped is a solid deal in todays market and is Maxwell based and gets to use NVidias shiny drivers because Quadro.

Can get K420 Quadros for $15 shipped on eBay as well on the regular.

Thanks,

Just took a look and indeed $15~30 for some of these. Sad that we're digging through the garbage for relics (released in 2014.... 7 year old GPUs lol), but it is what it is these days in this market. I see why many people are done and just suffering on a console or mobile. I don't even play games really, but I need my workstation and displays for my work and need beefy hardware (but not GPU) and it's crazy how dumb things have gotten even still, a year later. You'd think the demand would have pulled in new things to the market to fill the gaps, but ultimately everything, literally everything is effected to the point of it being ludicrous.

I'm not familiar at all with Quardro cards, or any of AMD's stuff on the lower end. Any other models to look for? Goal is just to work in Windows 10 and Linux (latest distros, Ubuntu, etc) for 4k displays and pass audio over HDMI as needed. Zero gaming. And would actually prefer a passive cooling solution to have one less noise making fan in there.

Very best,

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
well quadros should not be your main gpu unless its purely a non gaming machine.
Otherwise Quadros will work perfectly fine.

Personally tho i would really pick between a P200/400 or a P2000 series. because they absolutely hold the best value over time.
People do not care about these cards and mining, they care more about them and transcoding on PLEX.
With Plex/Emby getting way more popular though the years, it will be easy to flip your gpu for a mined gaming card later in the future with a very little loss on a P2000 series.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
If Linux is a more likely platform, I think any of the R series AMD GPUs is a better bet. Here is a link to a R5 240:

I bet you could offer $25 and get that shipped with a DP to HDMI adapter pretty cheap. There are options that are low profile, no adapter under $20 shipped.

AMD Linux drivers for at least the Islands GPUs are better integrated than the nvidia equivalent, I think, and I found multiple threads where folks got audio over HDMI on 240s.

R7's are more powerful than R5 but with cards this old I think the differences are marginal and not worthy of the 2x price bump.

There are passive 240s, but the power usage is so low on these things it's likely in a case with airflow you could unplug the fan.

I always use Techpowerup to cross reference Wikipedia when hunting these things. Basic relative performance numbers and lots of detail to peruse.