What are normal load temps for GTX200 cards?

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
My friend is going nuts with his load temps on his GTX260 core 192 going up into the 80s while playing wow and higher. I told him that as long as it's not throttling or crashing that it's fine. He has a really ghetto case and setup but he refuses to even consider getting a decent case and wants to ghetto mod it for better airflow. Anyways I just want to prove to him his temps are alright.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
yeah that must be some poor case airflow. even with my 65nm gtx260 oced by 20% I can only hit 80 during furmark. in games it rarely gets much over 70 even in my hot room in the summer. and thats at the stock auto fan settings btw.

Last edited:

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
If he's not overclocking than 80's is fine. If you want to push it though it seems Geforce cards like to stay under 80.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
yeah that must be some poor case airflow. even with my 65nm gtx260 oced by 20% I can only hit 80 during furmark. in games it rarely gets much over 70 even in my hot room in the summer. and thats at the stock auto fan settings btw.

That would be a poor and hasty conclusion based on the limited data that you have. A few possible scenarios that would have nothing to do with poor case airflow.

1) Ambient Temperature
2) Heat Transfer
3) Heat Dissipation

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
That would be a poor and hasty conclusion based on the limited data that you have. A few possible scenarios that would have nothing to do with poor case airflow.

1) Ambient Temperature
2) Heat Transfer
3) Heat Dissipation
well I wasnt trying to be scientific about it and was going by the OP which claimed the case was ghetto and needed better airflow.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
He has a really ghetto case and setup but he refuses to even consider getting a decent case and wants to ghetto mod it for better airflow.

Cut out the front fan grill and front face, install big fan, instant airflow.

Yeah, 80's sound about right.

Has he given the card a re-greasing?

Yes, temperatures in the 80°C range sounds just fine for a GTX 260.

Please do NOT try replacing the TIM. Nearly 100% of the time cleaning the dust out of the fansink (without removing it) gives more benefit than all the TIM replacements in the world. The full coverage fansinks that is on most of the GTX cards are tricky to reinstall properly, especially using a thinner TIM like Arctic Silver 5.

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
He's O.K., but that kind of sucks. Mine hits around 54C playing WoW and low to mid 60s in more graphically demanding games in an Antec 300 with all the fan slots filled (and its OC'd to 650 Mhz).

Last edited:

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
well I wasnt trying to be scientific about it and was going by the OP which claimed the case was ghetto and needed better airflow.

Fair enough. It isn't that your conclusion is 'bad', it is just that I reacted to "Must be bad air flow" as if you nailed it. And, maybe you did. If you have bad air flow in your case, you will perpetually gain heat. How much and fast would determine just how bad the case air flow is. I just think that people are way to sensative over 'heat' when 10 degrees between cards is probably normal, not to mention the ambients make all the difference in the world.

People were convinced that those of us who were running our Q6600's at 3.6Ghz and 1.5ish volts were going to destroy them in a matter of months. I still have two rigs running those things, with the same extreme overclock going on 3 years now. I also have not heard one person say "My Q6600 died on me"... Of course, I am sure it happens, or has happened, but it is just a scare tactic.

The advice in this thread is good... But remember a few things

1) 80c is just fine for his card.
2) With more air flow, comes more dust, and more maintenance.

It is all fine and dandy to get a tornado worth of air going through your case, but it doesn't take long (a mere week or two) to clog it up with dust. There is a downside to everything, not to mention the noise from opening up the case to bring more airflow in.