What are languages/techs/frameworks do you loathe the most? Why?

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Seeing the stack overflow 2018 survey made me wonder, what does AT hate?

https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018/

Personally for me its Adobe ColdFusion and Perl. The former dosent even make it into the survey :tearsofjoy:

ColdFusion because it takes every one of Java's strengths and throws them out the window (ColdFusion is built on top of Java). It ignores defacto standards so in ColdFusion arrays start at 1, "YES" and "NO" are acceptable boolean values, "GTE" is the equivalent to ">=" and the syntax is like HTML. It's just awful.

Perl because I find the syntax to be a bit of a car crash. Im used to Java/C# etc, languages like that and I found Perl rather difficult to work with. Im not against different syntax though, Ruby is different and I liked that. Perl not so much, id still take it over ColdFusion any day though.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Objective-C. I f'ing hate the syntax. It's so damn weird with the brackets and what not and I could never wrap my head around it completely. Being able to code in Swift for iOS is a lot easier to do and read to me. The only downside of Swift vs. ObjC though is there are versions and having to update can be a pain in the ass. I had a pretty big app written in Swift 2.0 and had to upgrade to 3.0 and it was a nightmare but I eventually got it working. Oh and then all of my cocoa pods also had to be updated as well, which again was a nightmare. Some I had to drop because they didn't have a 3.0 version either.

Had this all been written in ObjC though, the issue would be moot.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I'd just like to remind everyone to keep your messages free of swearing and personal attacks.

OK, carry on - Programming Moderator Ken g6

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
The node.js + MongoDB "I use every hyped tech" crowd. npm is a disaster already and it will only get worse with malware and the recent issue of new version being beta only.

MongoDB, well if you data has no value, go ahead and use it as main store. I really fail to see a use case that can't be covered by a modern RDBMS. The whole web-scale thing is a joke. Most apps coded like intranet business apps need to be counted in requests per minute and could run with your smartphone as web server.

Net

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2003
clojure. It's a lisp type language that runs on the JVM. I don't like the lack of good debugging support. see what I mean here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2352020/debugging-in-clojure

Also, don't like it because its a lisp type language. I don't like lisp type languages. I want to like them though. They sound cool till you try making a big program with it then you want to go back to a non-lisp type language. Some people like lisp type languages though.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
For me, I loathe just about every javascript framework out there. They are quickly replaced by some new thing, often making breaking changes between versions and still have some minor browser specific issues.

Reactions: hamidreza