What amount of miles makes a Honda civic start to show it's age? Also what is the most important info to ask for about?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Also do you know of anyway I can find out what dealerships offer the 3000.00 minimum trade, other then just calling them all.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
I was just browsing yahoo classifieds and i found a '97 civic coupe from a local dealership. They are asking 7995.00. I checked edmunds and the lowest they say a '97 civic should be is 7563.00, thats for the DX, which this perticular car probablly is, but I am not for sure. So your telling me they are willing to sell that car for even 5995.00? I understand they probablly got it as a trade in and probablly only gave the person 4000.00 for trade, so i will believe you if thats what you say. I just want to know if thats correct?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Okay, one by one here :)

1. But I guess i could see what your saying, since they overprice the used cars by so much, giving you 3000.00 minimum trade would still make them money. Is that correct?

A: Exactly.

2. I don't exactly know what my credit rating is. I don't really have any credit though. I have a few credit cards and school loans that i pay on, but not much else. I undertsand i probablly wouldn't qualify for a lease or even probablly a loan, in which case i will ask my father to cosign it.

A: You'll have a much easier chance of qualifying for a loan than a lease. Check into a local credit union to get a membership. They offer better interest rates, and are more liberal in their loan lending.

3. Also do you know of anyway I can find out what dealerships offer the 3000.00 minimum trade, other then just calling them all.

A: Not anything like that on used cars. The only incentives I can look up is on new vehicles. You will do best going at the second or last days of the month when the dealers are really trying to move cars.

Look at sites like edmunds, consumer guide, and NADA for the trade in amounts. Offer them a couple hundred over trade in and go from there.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: coolred
I was just browsing yahoo classifieds and i found a '97 civic coupe from a local dealership. They are asking 7995.00. I checked edmunds and the lowest they say a '97 civic should be is 7563.00, thats for the DX, which this perticular car probablly is, but I am not for sure. So your telling me they are willing to sell that car for even 5995.00? I understand they probablly got it as a trade in and probablly only gave the person 4000.00 for trade, so i will believe you if thats what you say. I just want to know if thats correct?

It's all about demand. Civics are hot. If there aren't many of them out and about on the used lots the dealers aren't going to work with you. That's why I suggested Nissans, just as good of a vehicle, only they don't carry the high resale rates as Honda/Toyota. Dealers will work with you a little more. Negotiating with a dealer is half luck, half art. If you have a decent dealer, it'll be a fairly pleasant experience. If you have an ass for a dealer, it won't be fun. Be sure to check the classifieds sections of your newspaper and see what's for sale there. Many of those cars are one owner cars, the owner can tell you exactly what was done to it, and you'll get a pretty good deal on a well maintained vehicle. You'll actually speak with the owner about the vehicle and it's history, not going off some bs story that the dealer feeds you about it.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I still don't understand why won't get a just as reliable/quality car like a Nissan instead of the higher resale value Honda Civic.

Find a nice Nissan Altima or Sentra which has been properly maintained.

It'd crack me up if after all this car searching you're declined for a loan, then again you could get a co-signer.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Yes rossman i will get a cosigner. The reason i don't really like the altima or the sentra is that I am only 21 and i still want a sporty looking car. 4 doors does not usually make a car look sporty. Is a 200SX a good choice?

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Actually from what consumerguide has to say, the 200sx is basically a sentra coupe model. If that is th case i would seriously consider one? It appears that they are similarly priced, so is that a good way to go?

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Did you know that ocer 90% of a civic is from america, thus making it a domestic? I just thought that was interesting. I was under the impression that nissans were imports, but consumerguide says they are built in america. So are they american built, foriegn owned?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
More like Japanese designed and made, assembled in America..

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Yes thats what I meant. Make parts in japan, then ship to USA and have the dumb old americans put it together. Please don't yell at me for calling americans dumb. I was being sarcastic, I myself am american.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Does the 200sx have a turbo charged engine? Consumer guide does not mention this, but I have found a few other places that do?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
None of the 200sx's came w/ a turbo that I'm aware of. There was an SE-R version that came with a higher output engine than the base model, but it was just a normal naturally aspirated engine. No forced induction.

Now, I know there is a pretty good market for dumping a turbo charged engine in the older 240sx's from the early 90's.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Well I saw a 1.8 litre turbo charged egine mentioned on a couple differant site. One was australian, is it possible they put turbo chargers in the aussie models?

"The Nissan 200sx 1.8 Turbo Specifications" I got that off one website.

Here is a link to a search on did on yahoo for nissan 200sx specs. And at least 2 pages probablly more mention the 1.8 turbo. But like i said no mention of it on consumer guide, only a 1.6 and 2.0 litre. So I will just forget about it. I didn't really like the idea of a turbo, it's not anything i need, but now i know it doesn't have one. So do you recommend the 200sx? If not, could you explain why?

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
When buying from a dealer, I want to get the car inspected. How can this be done. Do you aks them or do you just take it for a test drive then run it over to the mechanic?

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Usually I ask the dealer/individual if I can bring the used car to my mechanic's shop to be inspected.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Thanks rossman, thats what i figured. If they say no, then I would imagine I should find some place else to buy from?

So do you have an opinion on the 200sx? You have been a big help for me in my car search, so I thought i would call upon your guidance once more. Thanks

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Anyone have an opinion on the 200sx? is basically a 2 door sentra, right? So is it just as reliable?