WHAT AM I MISSING?

Joseph Combs

Jul 27, 2018
Question: I bought this Nvidia MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Aero OC Edition card from Ebay and put it in a new build with the following specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Extreme X399 Motherboard
AMD 2950x Threadripper CPU
The box booted okay but the card did not send output to my monitors, replaced with RX480 and monitors displayed output. Am I wrong in concuding there is something wrong with the card?

Last edited:

Joseph Combs

Jul 27, 2018
It would appear after doing some research that this is a widely experienced problem with the 1080TI ..... have some things to check when I go home tonight.

Thank you to all the extremely helpful people on this forum! :D

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
You try a CMOS reset?

I didn't get video out of my 2080 Ti when I first installed it, had to cycle through a couple of CMOS resets before the motherboard finally decided to output video to it. Sometimes motherboards don't like new hardware for some reason.

Also try HDMI if displayport isn't working, some cards just don't output video through DP until you boot to Windows. If you want to see something during boot you may have to use HDMI.

Joseph Combs

Jul 27, 2018
I put my rx480 back in and moved on. Will go back to it shortly. Will probably end up flashing the forward on the card