What am I doing wrong - OCing C566 on Abit BH6.0 Rev 1.0

Patman

Jun 29, 2000
Hi, I have jumped on the OC bandwagon with the Celeron II 566 CPU.

Currently I have been using a Abit BH 6.0 Rev 1.0 (the original rev) and a Celeron 300A OC'd to 450MHz. Have 192MB of PC100 RAM (no problems on the stability with the CPU/RAM combo - 1 64MB and 1 128MB RAM DIMMs)

I bought a C566, a MSI MS-6905 Master Slotket, GOrb for the upgrade.

I have flashed my Abit BH 6.0 MB BIOS to the NV version (the latest on Abit's website, and it is supposed to handle the new stuff.

I installed the new C566 onto the MSI slotket, and attached the GOrb onto the C566 CPU. I inserted the CPU/slotket/fan combo into the CPU slot on the MB.

Here's my question:

How should I set up my jumpers on the MSI slotket?

To get my PC to work, here's what I had to do for now:

Currently I manually set up the VCore to be 1.65V, I left J1 opened, and J4 shorted on pins 2-3 for 100MHz FSB, I have the J3 processor jumper shorted on pins 1-2 for Coppermine.

It seems now I have no control in the MB's soft menu CPU settings. If I try changing the settings, it always goes back to 233(66), no matter what I save it to.

When I boot up, I get the "The CPU is unworkable or has been changed press F1 to continue or DEL for soft menu..." error message. If I press F1, Win98 (non-SE) will boot up fine.

earlier, I tried the slotket's Vcore set to AUTO, and I shorted J1 on pins 1-2, and shorted J4 on pings 1-2 so that might be able to use the MB BIOS Soft menu settings to overclock via the BIOS settings, but I was getting the same "The CPU is unworkable or has been changed press F1 to continue or DEL for soft menu..." error message, and having the PC freeze during bootup of Win98, and whenever I tried changing the BIOS for FSB=100, Multiplier=8, voltage=1.50V or 1.65Vand saved the settings, it seems that it would revert back to the nominal 233(66) CPU setting and never retain the 800Mhz settings I was trying to enter into the BIOS.

Also, when I boot up, I see the Processor listed as "Pentium III 550e"

So can some help me get to 850MHz with the CPU/Slotket/MB combo I have now?

Thanks in advance.

KBtrade

Jan 21, 2000
Patman, I have almost the same setup and running at 850MHz. The newest Abit BH6 bios is now QN although NV should work fine (QN now shows the right processor on bootup), The only jumper I removed on the MSI MS-6905 Master is J1, every other jumper is untouched out of the box. I have the retail version C566 using the factory fan and heatsink. In Softbios I have FSB at 100MHz x 8.5, VCore set at 1.65V...Hope this helps.

rigor

Banned
Mar 21, 2000
SPEED HOLD ERROR (DISABLE)

Thats you're problem.

if you don't change the speed error setting in SOFTMENU II you'll always
get the default error message setting eh!

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Also, you don't need to change anything on the slotket. It should be run as it comes out of the box, with all settings done in bios, if possible.

rigor

Banned
Mar 21, 2000
You've got to have a good quality slotket(slocket). or else you'll never get over 82*8.5 on that board.
Ask me how i know.

Get a good slotket (i use the ABIT)
Install it. Set the voltage on the motherboard to 1.7.
flash the bios to the latest (QN OR QM depending on your board rev).
Up the voltage to 1.85
Set the softmenu II to say 82 , 2/3 agp, speed hold error disable.

boot windows. if it works great.

raise the FSB to 95S , boot windows, bench it.
if it locks, your chip is suck.
Raise the fsb to 100S, boot windows, repeat.
if it works great. keep going higher till you feel happy.

run 3dmark 2000, final reality,and rc5 tests.
The difference between 800 and 900 is about 2-3% of real world performance.

Go buy a geforce 2 gts with whatever combo you have and you'll have more fps than you know what to do with.

:)

Patman

Jun 29, 2000
Well, I tried disabling the speed hold error, and I was able to boot up without getting the error, but I could only do it with FSB of 66. If I jacked it up to 100, the CMOS BIOS settings for the Soft CPU menu would revert back to the initial 233(66) setting (not the user setting), and I'd be back to square one. I've put the slotket jumpers to the original positions (but I opened J1). Any other ideas? I guess the next step is to flash QV(?) BIOS on the MB.

Toro 45

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Patman ,try setting your fsb to 75 & upping the voltage a little. work your way up to 100(if possible).You may not get to 100fsb but at least you'll know where you stand.
May not be a factor but make sure you have the agp set properly.
Toro:)

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Are you using manual settings, simply leave the multiplier alone (it will take care of itself) set FSB to 100MHz, up the voltage to 1.7 and save/exit. Sounds weird to me.

Patman

Jun 29, 2000
Well, I've decided to shelve the C566 CPU upgrade for now because I need to have my internet access up and running, and I need my PC to act stable and predictable because I have some webpages to churn out.

I've tried so many things, my head is swimming w/r/t the C566. But what was killing me was the instability. I was afraid to write anything of value on my hard drive since the PC would freeze when I was copying files from my USB Smart Media reader to the HD, and I was afraid of trashing files, and I actually had a bunch of picture files get corrupted since I have to soft boot and hard boot the PC once it froze up on me.

It's really weird because it seems that with the new CPU in place, it causes my IRQs to get taken up, and when I went to the latest QN BIOS update, I lost my NIC card (it's an ISA SMC 8013) and when I tried installing back into Windows98 (1st edition), I had no IRQs left (it was using IRQ 10, 300 base address, c8000), so it would never install. So I say "screw it" and just popped in my ol' reliable Celeron 300A and re-installed my ethernet card (I downgraded my BIOS to NV since my Celeron 300A was working with that update - didn't want anymore downtime messing with the QN BIOS with my Celeron 300A if I could help it).

So, maybe in a week or two, after I get my stuff done (and ghost my hard drive to a spare HD), I'll give the C566 one more shot. I'm almost tempted to buy an Abit Slotket and giving that a try (I should have stayed with the MB maker's slotket.)

Thanks for all the help, maybe it's a hardware issue, but I wish I could say for sure.