What a wuss

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
For anyone who hasn't built up a tolerance to capsaicin that response is appropriate.

glenn beck

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2004
Originally posted by: RadiclDreamer
Ever eat one?

yeah plenty of times, they will make you breathe fire, but nowhere the reaction of that guy, course I might just have a good tolerance for spicy foods.

glenn beck

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2004
Originally posted by: MrPickins
For anyone who hasn't built up a tolerance to capsaicin that response is appropriate.

you maybe right I've eaten spicy foods for most of my life, I've just never seen anyone react to it like that

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Web filters at work won't allow streaming video so I can't watch.

But I can tell you that if my father ate a raw habanero it would like send him into an asthma attack. He starts sweating and wheezing if he gets a little bit of jalapeno in a salsa or mexican dish. A habanero would likely kill him.

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: glenn beck
Ever eat one?

yeah plenty of times, they will make you breathe fire, but nowhere the reaction of that guy, course I might just have a good tolerance for spicy foods.

I don't think it's tolerance. It's more likely intentionally impairing your ability to taste over time.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
I eat a ton of spicy food myself and can tell you that while i can eat jalapenos and wash it down with tobasco, even kissing my wife afterwords is enough to bring tears to her eyes from the heat. So maybe you have just built a tolerance to it like I have while this kid was fairly new to spicy foods.

But it was funny....

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: DBL
Ever eat one?

I don't think it's tolerance. It's more likely intentionally impairing your ability to taste over time.

That's not true. You build a temporary tolerance to capsaicin after consuming it regularly. You'll still feel the effects, but they are much milder. (But quit eating chilis for a few weeks/months and you have to start from scratch)

Nor does it affect your sense of taste. If anything, peppers enhance flavor in a dish.

You should ask DrPizza about how he was building a tolerance using Dave's Insanity (IIRC) sauce.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
It also looks like he got a little in his windpipe. That would cause the squeaks he's making. :laugh:

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Ever eat one?

That's not true. You build a temporary tolerance to capsaicin after consuming it regularly. You'll still feel the effects, but they are much milder. (But quit eating chilis for a few weeks/months and you have to start from scratch)

Nor does it affect your sense of taste. If anything, peppers enhance flavor in a dish.

You should ask DrPizza about how he was building a tolerance using Dave's Insanity (IIRC) sauce.

Are you sure? This is a subject of a great deal of research.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Ever eat one?

Are you sure? This is a subject of a great deal of research.

Sure about which part? I know the tolerance part is true because I've tested it empirically on myself.

I know capsaicin doesn't cause loss of taste because it would have to do damage to the tissue for that to happen. Instead the capsaicin only tricks your mouth into feeling injured by flooding your nerve cells with calcium ions. No real damage is done, only the pain sensation.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
jalapenos arent shit in the world of spicy...i can eat them by themselves with no probs...

i've had some sauce before that was ridiculously hot though, it was in a little bottle and looked like tabasco sauce... but a couple drops on a piece of pizza had me in tears...

and im mexican.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Ever eat one?

That stuff still makes my stomach start, what's the word? Convulsing? . Having a high tolerance was great for practical jokes back then though. After a couple months, I was able to smear Dave's onto a piece of lunch meat and chew it up without a tear in my eyes. Doing so always convinced coworkers that it must be tasty. For what it's worth, some hot sauces enhance the flavor of food. Other hot sauces drown out the flavor.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
I couldnt agree more, and for me it depends on the food. Some things like rice I like tabasco or Franks, while things like tacos, texas pete is where its at. For chili its nothing but cayenne (sp?) and tobasco

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
You're probably a Non-taster (less than normal amount of taste buds ~25% of the population), he's probably a Super-Taster (more than the average amount of taste buds ~25% of the population)

Being a "wuss" has nothing to do with it, you just can't taste what he tastes.

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
While I'm sure he was in pain, I would bet most of that was him acting since he was spoofing Jackass.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: rbV5
You're probably a Non-taster (less than normal amount of taste buds ~25% of the population), he's probably a Super-Taster (more than the average amount of taste buds ~25% of the population)

Being a "wuss" has nothing to do with it, you just can't taste what he tastes.

When I was 39 years old, I heard a story. I found out that there are people walking among us who have superpowers. These people are called Supertasters. To a Supertaster, bitter fruits taste far more bitter, and sweets far more sweet. Then, just a few months ago, I had the chance to meet a real, live Supertaster named John Lee.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
When I worked in catering some smart ass kid ate a pickled one out of a jar. After 30 seconds, his eyes, nose, and mouth started leaking all over his face, his face turned purple, AND THE IDIOT RUBBED HIS EYES. We had to use the eyewash station on him and everything. heheheh....yeah, they're that damn hot.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
You can certainly build up a tolerance, and some people ARE more sensitive than others. I can eat Dave's Insanity, the hottest wings anywhere I go, the hottest Thai food I can find, and get special salsa at any Mexican restaurant etc and it doesn't affect nearly as much as it did two years ago. In fact, I enjoy it. It tastes and feels great. I can actually taste it now instead of it just burning.Two years ago a jalapeno would burn my mouth. Now I get a bowl of them to eat when I eat Mexican food.

My wife, on the other hand, she can't even hardly handle black pepper. She *hates* spicy food. We had Thai today, and it was relatively mild, and she about convulsed from just one tiny bite of my plate.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
You can certainly build up a tolerance, and some people ARE more sensitive than others. I can eat Dave's Insanity, the hottest wings anywhere I go, the hottest Thai food I can find, and get special salsa at any Mexican restaurant etc and it doesn't affect nearly as much as it did two years ago. In fact, I enjoy it. It tastes and feels great. I can actually taste it now instead of it just burning.Two years ago a jalapeno would burn my mouth. Now I get a bowl of them to eat when I eat Mexican food.

My wife, on the other hand, she can't even hardly handle black pepper. She *hates* spicy food. We had Thai today, and it was relatively mild, and she about convulsed from just one tiny bite of my plate.