What a total waste of a ($1,300) motherboard! Likely could have achieved the same results using some washers

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-12900k-world-record-with-hacksaw

I normally don't care for these extreme overclocking articles, but I looked at this one because the use of "hacksaw" in the title.

So basically this user destroyed a $1,300 motherboard by sawing the socket out of the motherboard to determine the levelness of the cooler on the CPU. :oops:

I suspected that the hold-down mechanism, which only contacts the very middle edges of the CPU, was flexing the middle of the chip down, causing the top and bottom edges of the CPU to bow upward. How can I test this?

I came up with the idea to simulate the CPU inside the socket while it's under tension from the hold-down mechanism, and then re-flatten the CPU by lapping it while the chip is still bowed.

By simulate, I mean I took a hacksaw and cut the socket out of a $1300 ASRock Z690 Aqua OC that was sent as a sample.

33.gif

I mean, Tom's already reported that 1.0 mm washer would have kept the IHS from being lower in the middle.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/easy-mod-reduces-alder-lake-cpu-temperatures-5-degrees-celsius

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
So basically this user destroyed a $1,300 motherboard by sawing the socket out of the motherboard to determine the levelness of the cooler on the CPU. :oops:

Even if it's a sponsored board, you can at least have a little respect for the value of it. But no, I guess.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Observations:

I would not know about this if you had not posted. Thus, the $1300 retail tag is a small price to pay for the coverage it is getting.

It is yet another "for science" meme.

Jul 27, 2020
And Intel will need to make some slight modification to the socket that makes this situation better without rendering it incompatible with the existing retention bracket, or come Raptor Lake, another mobo may get sacrificed. You don't want that on your conscience now, do you, Intel?

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I rather assumed there might be something wrong with the board.

Alternately the cost of the sample was zero so easy come easy go.

Finally there may have been conditions attached to getting the board for free. Like don't resell it or destroy it after use...

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Agree, except a $1300 board, is absurd unless this was some very, very special, niche app industrial board with features nobody else (besides an industrial app) would ever need.

#The world has gone mad