What a shocking debacle. Everything reds sucks.

Emma

Nov 27, 2001
I had an allergic reaction to some Italian tomatoes today. I've never had any problem with them untill today. They looked like they were off and pretty soft. So I thought there was something wrong with them and took them back to the store. The man there said no one else had complained (I've had issues with him before) and told me it was, quote, "my problem"!! Well I just lost it. I told him he had a bad attitude and his store was a joke. I took a tomato out and squished it with my hand on the counter. He shouted at me to not do that and get out of the store. I told him to piss off and I rolled the rest all over the counter. There were some big red apples next to me so I dropped a few on the ground, but they squished and I told him "Look, these are rotten too!" And stormed out of the store. Tomatoes, apples, anything red seems to be poorly produced these days. They better pick their act up.

Not happy Jan!! :|

AsukaStrikes

Banned
Jul 30, 2002
the best color for an EVA is red

maybe u got a bad batch of new genetic tomatoes. they mess with the genes now to give em longer shelf life, plus x-ray vision and the ability to survive nuclear winter.

but what's the seller supposed to do? he cant return them back to the farm supplier: can't stamp DOA and put and RMA sticker on it. he cant put it back on the shelf, because certain food items u can't do that with, in case the person returning it is a whacko who like to poison little children on holloween [which is why walmart and grocery stores do not accept return of candy products even if sealed] ect...

just plant them and if they grow u'll have new tomatoes; if not, u'll have nice compost

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
tomatoes need to be firm when purchased. a little under-ripe so you can ripen them at home.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
What the hell's wrong with you? You tried to return produce cause you think you're allergic to them? Why the hell would the store take tomatoes back? WTF are they going to do with used tomatoes? After you purchased them, they were "your problem". If you started smashing produce in my store (if I had a store) I'd have you thrown out and banned from the store. What would you think if you were a customer in a store, and you saw some person say "your tomatoes suck!" and start smashing them on the counter in front of the manager?

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: AsukaStrikes
the best color for an EVA is red

maybe u got a bad batch of new genetic tomatoes. they mess with the genes now to give em longer shelf life, plus x-ray vision and the ability to survive nuclear winter.

but what's the seller supposed to do? he cant return them back to the farm supplier: can't stamp DOA and put and RMA sticker on it. he cant put it back on the shelf, because certain food items u can't do that with, in case the person returning it is a whacko who like to poison little children on holloween [which is why walmart and grocery stores do not accept return of candy products even if sealed] ect...

just plant them and if they grow u'll have new tomatoes; if not, u'll have nice compost

Genetically modified tomatoes usually will stay good far longer than the non-modified ones over which they emptied 2 jerrycans of insecticides to keep them 'clean'.

Emma

Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
What the hell's wrong with you? You tried to return produce cause you think you're allergic to them? Why the hell would the store take tomatoes back? WTF are they going to do with used tomatoes? After you purchased them, they were "your problem". If you started smashing produce in my store (if I had a store) I'd have you thrown out and banned from the store. What would you think if you were a customer in a store, and you saw some person say "your tomatoes suck!" and start smashing them on the counter in front of the manager?

Well maybe he shouldn't have been selling dodgy produce in the first place. e.g. What would you do with a faulty fan you just bought? Just say "oh well, my problem."
rolleye.gif

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Emma
I had an allergic reaction to some Italian tomatoes today. I've never had any problem with them untill today. They looked like they were off and pretty soft. So I thought there was something wrong with them and took them back to the store. The man there said no one else had complained (I've had issues with him before) and told me it was, quote, "my problem"!! Well I just lost it. I told him he had a bad attitude and his store was a joke. I took a tomato out and squished it with my hand on the counter. He shouted at me to not do that and get out of the store. I told him to piss off and I rolled the rest all over the counter. There were some big red apples next to me so I dropped a few on the ground, but they squished and I told him "Look, these are rotten too!" And stormed out of the store. Tomatoes, apples, anything red seems to be poorly produced these days. They better pick their act up.

Not happy Jan!! :|

You have to control your temper better. How are you going to react in an important situation? Use a gun?

Oh yeah, shop at a different store.

Kojak

Jul 31, 2001
This reminds of the Seinfeld episode when Kramer tries to take back fruit to his grocer. Personally I would not have taken them back, either.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Personally, I have had grocery stores ruin fruit how they bag them. I don't find out til I get home when my tomatoes have huge bruises that were not present when I picked them out. If I took them back they would probably say, "your problem" and I would probably take the tomato and throw it at the manager as hard as I could.

BTW I worked at a grocery store. My store had horrible produce. I am amazed no one complained. It is the store's responsibility to keep fresh produce. Whatever goes bad in the store is a loss for the store. If Emma had the tomatoes for a day or less and it was bad then I would hope the store would take it back since stuff like that shouldn't go bad in a day.

My mom's local grocery store is very nice. My mom wasn't paying attention last Thanksgiving and bought a fresh turkey. A day before Thanksgiving my mom noticed the expiration date had come the previous day. This was 4 days AFTER she purchased it. So the store actually sold a valid good turkey. It just had a short expiration life. My mom took it back not expecting to give her an exchange but the store was more than happy to help my mom out. Was it the store's fault? No. They were more than gracious with her and guess where she shops exclusively at now? They have made tons of money off my mom for taking a small hit.

My current problem with my grocery store is the fact they will not accept out of state IDs. This is North Carolina. I am from South Carolina. I would think that it wouldn't be that hard to learn what a few licenses look it. It really pissed me off because I can't buy beer. This is at every grocery store I have found. It is really starting to piss me off.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
hrm
firstly the idea of buying beer at a grocery store makes me giggle.

secondly im sad that you had a bad experience with tomatoes but i do encourage and celebrate the fact that you squashed the tomato as part of a protest against the supermarket.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: eakers
Originally posted by: hammer09
why is buying beer at the grocery store funny? I do it all the time. :)

hahahahaha
do you also buy handguns at walmart?

I don't know what is so funny. There are quality beers sold in a grocery store. Maybe not in stupid canada but in the REAL world there are. Some of my favorites are Newcastle and Highland Gaelic Ale. Of course if I want something exotic then I go to the local Plez-U where they have 90% of all beer known to man. They let you mix and match six packs which is nice.

Of course I don't want to pay $10 for a six pack of exotic beer everytime I am drinking.

Also another secret to buying beer at a grocery store is the cardboard. If it is flimsy then it had been chilled, warmed, chilled, warmed, way too many times......find some stiff cardboard on those sixpack holders.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
No, walmart's selection sucks for handguns. The HEB near campus though has a huge selection of beer. I can get pretty much anything there. :D

hahahahaha

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Codewiz
Originally posted by: hammer09
why is buying beer at the grocery store funny? I do it all the time. :)

hahahahaha

I don't know what is so funny. There are quality beers sold in a grocery store. Maybe not in stupid canada but in the REAL world there are. One of my favorites is Newcastle and Highland Gaelic Ale. Of course if I want something exotic then I go to the local Plez-U where they have 90% of all beer known to man. They let you mix and match six packs which is nice.

Of course I don't want to pay $10 for a six pack of exotic beer everytime I am drinking.

Also another secret to buying beer at a grocery store is the cardboard. If it is flimsy then it had been chilled, warmed, chilled, warmed, way too many times......find some stiff cardboard on those sixpack holders.
its wierd, you just cant do that here. it just seems like a very faux pas idea to me.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Glad to see you took my canada comment in good humor :)

If I am not mistaken Walmark nor Kmart sell handguns.

Since the rest of the country and world probably has no idea what a Plez-U is, it is a convenience store like a 7-11. It just happens that some of them carry awesome selections of beer. They probably have 300 different types of beer. It is pretty awesome but they charge around $1.70 per beer if it is exotic and hard to find. If I am just in the mood for a quality beer, I go to Food Lion and pick up a NewCastle.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I'm with Hammer09. My local HEB (major grocery store chain here in TX) not only has almost every beer known to mankind, they also have a pretty decent wine selection as well. :)

Nothing like going shopping there...."okay...bar soap, deodorant, bread, milk, eggs, paper towels...AH! And a 12-pack of Heineken!" :D

ps
Walmart does not sell handguns. They sell rifles and shotguns though. I buy mine at a local pawnshop though...right next to the police station....all his stuff is "clean."