What a good answer to give durin an interview if they asks...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
You know, they could easily call your references at BofA to find out why you were fired. If you lie to them and they find out, you can kiss your chances goodbye.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
the cook pissed me off, so i quit as a host.

now i'm making so much more... so glad i left the food industry.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Phil
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
Originally posted by: NuclearNed
I think more details are needed about the reason you were forced from your last job before I can provide you with a suitable lie... er, I mean ANSWER.

Otherwise, just tell them its none of their business.

This is an ATOT classic

Aha.
Ahahaha.
Ahahahahahaha :laugh: :D :D

that's what i called ...er nevermind.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: desiplaya4life
why did you leave your old job?

-while you were forced to resigned from the job .. ?

please i got out of my old bank job and getting an interview at another bank today. any good sugg fellow anand people/ :) thanks guys

Got fired because I needed a better alarm clock.

johnjbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
"There werent enough opportunities to excel further"

"There werent enough leadership opportunities for me to pursue"

"I did not feel challenged enough"

-those have worked for me.

edit: those will NOT work when you are fired. Your post is ambiguous about if you were fired or not. If your were fired, I wouldnt say any of those.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Oh, one more tip.

never, ever under any circumstances say you were terminated or fired. or "for cause" You don't have to give them a reason why you left. Just say "I was affected"

say no more and move on.

they can't call your previous employer and ask about you (well they can, but any employer giving out anything other than start date and end date is asking for a lawsuit)

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
"During my tenure at my previous employer, I found myself too focused on being a desiplaya4life, and thus was at the time unable to benefit from the challenges and responsibilities of the position. Rest assued that I have both learned from the experience and grown as a person, and so working for your company in the exact same postion, I am confident that I will continue to be desiplaya4life while retaining the ability and desire to be an outstanding and motivated employee."

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
Oh, one more tip.

never, ever under any circumstances say you were terminated or fired. or "for cause" You don't have to give them a reason why you left. Just say "I was affected"

say no more and move on.

they can't call your previous employer and ask about you (well they can, but any employer giving out anything other than start date and end date is asking for a lawsuit)

lol...There's ways to answer to say exactly what you want:)

Granted for an entry level position like he's going for it may not be worth more than a smug/sacrcastic "Ya.. he worked here" full stop. with the implication "if you call that working"

Besides what you say is an urban myth anyway. Employers can say whatever is factual and documented. Truth is not defamation.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Zebo
Originally posted by: spidey07
Oh, one more tip.

say no more and move on.

lol...There's ways to answer to say exactly what you want:)

Granted for an entry level position like he's going for it may not be worth more than a smug/sacrcastic "Ya.. he worked here" full stop. with the implication "if you call that working"

Besides what you say is an urban myth anyway. Employers can say whatever is factual and documented. Truth is not defamation.

not unless they wanna get slapped with lawsuit.

It is NOT an urban myth. In previous positions we were always told "if ever contacted about a reference do not reveal any information at all and immediately direct them to HR. failure to comply can result in termination"

One slip of the tongue means lawsuit.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: elektrolokomotive
Apparently, you weren't late for work due to staying late at English class.
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=38&threadid=1561760&enterthread=y

04/05/2005 09:36 PM

i feel so freaking depressed... got the boot from work today for being late and i feel really stupid for making these mistakes:-/ told my mom and she is angry bashing me how i am such a lowlife and i will never become anything going a lil over the borderline.. (she always thinks of me like this.. just cant stand it:\) i just didnt become what she wanted me to..

at library right now thinking of running away for a lil while...my dad will come home later tonite.. and i want to tell him in front of face b4 i run away but i just cant stand anymore negativity:-\

btw i worked for bank of america