what a bad start to my week

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
woke up late, had like 30 seconds of hot water in the shower before it went cold, and to cap it off, my car was dead in the parking lot :|

kinda sucks... it's not an old car -- 2003, less than 30,000 miles -- but the engine just isn't turning on. when I turn the key, there's like some kind of clicking sound in my dashboard and the engine is silent. here's hoping it doesn't bankrupt me. lol.

Blieb

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2000
Is it a Ford? My wife's car started going berzerk when its battery died. Clicking like a mofo, even without the key in it ...

Probably just a dead battery ...

On a day like this one ... just get back in bed and try again tomorrow ...

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Wouldn't it be under warranty cause its less than 100,000 kilometres? or is it second-hand?

Cars are sure expensive to maintain. My family is going to buy a new one soon cause the old one is on its last legs.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Barack Obama
Wouldn't it be under warranty cause its less than 100,000 kilometres? or is it second-hand?

Cars are sure expensive to maintain. My family is going to buy a new one soon cause the old one is on its last legs.

he lives in the US, they don't deal in km

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
it was indeed a dead battery... tow truck guy jumped it and it came on. just dropped it off at my shop for them to check out, though.

I didn't leave anything on it my car and it seems pretty weird for it to just randomly die like that.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481
it was indeed a dead battery... tow truck guy jumped it and it came on. just dropped it off at my shop for them to check out, though.

I didn't leave anything on it my car and it seems pretty weird for it to just randomly die like that.

Should have just gone to Autozone or Costco and get a replacement battery for $60-70.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

what make/model of car is it?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: moshquerade

what make/model of car is it?

mazda protege5

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Yeah that sounds like a dead battery. Has happened to me before... I actually just had to replace the battery on my car this past summer. The one that died had lasted for about six years or so.

tyanni

Sep 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

Should have just gone to Autozone or Costco and get a replacement battery for $60-70.

Ahh, no. It COULD be the battery, but last time my battery "died" it was the alternator which went, therefore the battery wasn't being charged. It also could be the starter, although this is less likely. Often, poor mechanics replace the battery first when the problem occurs, then the starter when it happens again, then the alternator. Better to have a good shop check it out then have it happen again somewhere where you can't get a jump.

Tim

Blieb

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2000
2003 model ... 2008's are out ...

That's 5 year old battery = about the lifespan ...

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
The battery in my old car lasted 7 years before it finally died. Spent about $65 at Costco for a new one and spent an hour trying to get it in because the the connectors were corrorded as hell.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Hopefully your "shop" will not only check the battery ... but the alternator. My son's battery "died" and, without talking to me went out and bought (wasted his money on) a new battery. Three (3) days later the battery dies. Again he fails to tell me. Goes and gets a replacement only for it to die again a few days later. We took his car to the autoparts store and had them check the alternator. it wasn't putting out enough voltage (it was bad). $125 later and a new alternator ... he was golden. All that wasted time and money.

If only he hadn't totalled the car just a few months later ...

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: dud
Hopefully your "shop" will not only check the battery ... but the alternator. My son's battery "died" and, without talking to me went out and bought (wasted his money on) a new battery. Three (3) days later the battery dies. Again he fails to tell me. Goes and gets a replacement only for it to die again a few days later. We took his car to the autoparts store and had them check the alternator. it wasn't putting out enough voltage (it was bad). $125 later and a new alternator ... he was golden. All that wasted time and money.

If only he hadn't totalled the car just a few months later ...

they said they checked the alternator and that it was fine, and went ahead and replaced the battery for me ($125 total, which doesn't seem too bad)

Jun 19, 2004
AHAHAHAHA!!! God is having some fun w/ you. Or rather I should say Loki is having some fun with you.

Don't sweat it man, we all have these days. Do as someone else stated and use it as an excuse to crawl back into bed.