Wha, Wha Income Inequality?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and agree that the Wall St crowd works very hard. When a minimum wage fast food worker works, I see a hamburger produced. When a broker works, what is produced?

Hamburger makers, of course.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and agree that the Wall St crowd works very hard. When a minimum wage fast food worker works, I see a hamburger produced. When a broker works, what is produced?

That is a really stupid way of looking at things. By that logic, managers are pointless because what do they produce?

Just because something is complex, does not make it less valuable. Wall street is getting paid by people. Its their money, so don't worry about that part. What you should care about is the role governments play with respect to WS.

While you are at it, you can deny climate change because it snowed in a cold place.

Last edited:

Bock

Mar 28, 2013
I happen to run into quite a few people from every income you can imagine. From poverty level to multi millionaire. I've noticed that not much really changes until past the ~240k range, i.e. they still work for a day job for their money.
Those who make more than that, almost always run businesses and have numerous employees. The few times I've managed to look into their costs breakdowns, every single time w/o question, those working for them are grossly underpaid save for management.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I happen to run into quite a few people from every income you can imagine. From poverty level to multi millionaire. I've noticed that not much really changes until past the ~240k range, i.e. they still work for a day job for their money.
Those who make more than that, almost always run businesses and have numerous employees. The few times I've managed to look into their costs breakdowns, every single time w/o question, those working for them are grossly underpaid save for management.
Didn't you hear? Management is the highest honor and most noble thing a human being can possibly do.
Do a job interview and lay down that you don't want to be management, and that you want to do what you trained to do, and what you're good at doing. (Some people don't make good managers, and they know it.) You probably won't get called back. Want to shoot your career aspirations in the foot? Casually mention to your supervisor that you don't want to get into management.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Didn't you hear? Management is the highest honor and most noble thing a human being can possibly do.
Do a job interview and lay down that you don't want to be management, and that you want to do what you trained to do, and what you're good at doing. (Some people don't make good managers, and they know it.) You probably won't get called back. Want to shoot your career aspirations in the foot? Casually mention to your supervisor that you don't want to get into management.

Bingo!

I really don 't understand how keeping track of peoples hours and the planning related to it is a skill that should be paid exponentially more than someone who actually does something productive (i.e. not using ODC money).

Because of the truth you speak, I'm a very reluctant supervisor, and fall neatly into the Peter principle model.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012

financial meltdown with a side of recession?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
That is a really stupid way of looking at things. By that logic, managers are pointless because what do they produce?

Just because something is complex, does not make it less valuable. Wall street is getting paid by people. Its their money, so don't worry about that part. What you should care about is the role governments play with respect to WS.

While you are at it, you can deny climate change because it snowed in a cold place.
Right. So what do brokers produce?