Western Digital WD Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drive - $139.99 - WD30EFRX - Amazon.com

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Great price. Great reviews. seems to be a winner to me.

If only I have need for the space and not have to pay tax or else this would be instant-buy.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Why is it specified as a NAS drive? I don't see an enclosure?

Oh, I see it has WD NAS software installed in the firmware.

kleinkinstein

Aug 16, 2012
Screw Amazon and their 20 minute pricing and fake inventory charades!

newegg.png

amazon.png

cbunn

Sep 1, 2011
After perusing through Newegg ratings, reliability seems shaky.

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but it bears repeating. Newegg can't ship hard drives properly most of the time and thus the reviews are skewed for any model.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Why is it specified as a NAS drive? I don't see an enclosure?

Oh, I see it has WD NAS software installed in the firmware.
It's effectively a variant on the Greens, with the differences being based around optimizing it for NAS use. The differences are roughly as follows:

1) Time Limited Error Recovery (TLER) is controllable and enabled by default. TLER is useful for RAID use as it causes the drive to give up on reading a bad sector sooner, so that the drive doesn't drop out of the array.

2) Longer warranty. 3 years vs. 1 year

3) It has some additional stabilization mechanisms, ostensibly intended for keeping the drive head stable amidst the vibrations from other drives.

Really it's a premium consumer 5400RPM hard drive. WD has it fairly well targetted: with the small price difference between a Red and a Green, the TLER and warranty differences usually make the Red a better candidate for NAS use than the Greens.

Zxian

May 26, 2011
After perusing through Newegg ratings, reliability seems shaky.

People think that brandX is unreliable because they've had a drive or two die. NewEgg's hard drive shipping has historically been bad, so don't rely on any DoA information from them.

I've had eight of the WD Red drives in my server since November. They're quiet, fast, and so far haven't given me any issues (as they should/shouldn't). I'd definitely get some more at $139 if I needed them.

Xponential

Jun 10, 2001
It's effectively a variant on the Greens, with the differences being based around optimizing it for NAS use. The differences are roughly as follows:

1) Time Limited Error Recovery (TLER) is controllable and enabled by default. TLER is useful for RAID use as it causes the drive to give up on reading a bad sector sooner, so that the drive doesn't drop out of the array.

3) It has some additional stabilization mechanisms, ostensibly intended for keeping the drive head stable amidst the vibrations from other drives.

Really it's a premium consumer 5400RPM hard drive. WD has it fairly well targetted: with the small price difference between a Red and a Green, the TLER and warranty differences usually make the Red a better candidate for NAS use than the Greens.

Wait, are these Red drives 5400RPM or 7200RPM?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Red drives are 5400RPM. The equivalent 7200RPM drives would be the uber expensive RE drives.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but it bears repeating. Newegg can't ship hard drives properly most of the time and thus the reviews are skewed for any model.

Exactly.

FWIW, I bought 8 of these drives (from Amazon) for my server in the January/February timeframe and have not had a single issue. They've been running 24/7 for about a month now in a RAID6 array.

Last edited:

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

They also use less power than the Green series and seem to have better performance. I'll never buy another Green again.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Bought 2 of these last time Amazon had 'em for 140, maybe it's time for 2 more. mmmmm storage.