Western Digital Annonuces 20,000RPM hard drives.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
No matter how many new crapporaptors they make, SSD is the future.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
It will bring the read\write speeds inline with todays SSD's. But what about IO\sec?
I read somewhere a cheetah 15K SCSI drive sits at about 160 IO\sec where todays SSD's do about 8K. 20,000 RPM wont bring you near that kind of IO performance.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Atreus21
Originally posted by: extra
Originally posted by: jjones
How far off are we from SSD becoming the standard on a new build?

I'd say within the next 18 months many enthusiasts will have a SSD as their main drive with Windows and other things that need high performance on it, and a large slower HDD with their data, music, and movies. It's really unavoidable at this point that that is the way things are going to be for a while. SSDs aren't going to have the space people crave for quite a while despite the enthusiasm for them. Performance is really ramping up though and the ability to have Windows and your games on a much higher performing drive will be too much for people to resist. =) 18 months I say it'll be common to see in people's builds here.

I think we'll see the biggest migration to SSD going on from the enterprise-level. A fast, cool, power-efficient drive that almost never fails has got to have them salivating.

I was at a talk a year ago with Mark Kryder and he said he didn't think SSD would make it into the enterprise/server class machines because of the amount of read/write cycles those drives go through.