Wesley Clark's patriot act

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
I like this man.

On a campus where students march and chant in lines, not in puppet-brandishing crowds, Clark declares that dissenters are the true patriots: "Patriotism doesn't consist of following orders?not when you're not in the chain of command. For the American people, for citizens in a democracy, patriotism's highest calling isn't simply following what the administration says. It's not blind obedience. It's not unquestioned adherence. The highest form of patriotism is asking questions. Because democracies run on dialogue. Democracies run on discussion. No administration has the right to tell Americans that to dissent is disloyal, and to disagree is unpatriotic. ?"We need a new spirit, a new kind of, a new American patriotism in this country. ? [T]his new spirit of patriotism should be dedicated to the protection of our rights and liberties. ? In times of war or peace, democracy requires dialogue, disagreement, and the courage to speak out. And those who do it should not be condemned but be praised."

Slate

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
But...but...XZeroII says he sucks....I'm so conflicted! :p

Seriously though...good stuff. It's a refreshing change from the dissent = traitor message we have had over the past few years...

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
I've said that numerous times, criticizing the president is the most patriotic thing you can do but I never thought I'd hear it from a 4* general tho who's boss has been the prez.

What a refreshing anomaly.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
It'll be interesting to hear what he has to say when he figures out what it is that he wants to say.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Ultra Quiet
It'll be interesting to hear what he has to say when he figures out what it is that he wants to say.
You mean like Bush did in 2000?

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

No Red, not like Bush in 2000. What I am saying is that he just started and he doesn't seem to have formed "detailed" positions on a lot of things. I think that was the point of the Slate article and I agree. I am very interested in what he has to say and I'll be more interested as some details emerge.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

No Red, not like Bush in 2000. What I am saying is that he just started and he doesn't seem to have formed "detailed" positions on a lot of things. I think that was the point of the Slate article and I agree. I am very interested in what he has to say and I'll be more interested as some details emerge.

My bad, I read "Wants to say" as "Has to say".

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
totaly agree with him, democracy only works with questions being asks, if people dont ask questions we might as well have kings and queens and power being transferred from one family member to another, kinda like what saddam had planed for his retirement

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
His "position" on patriotism is merely stating the obvious. His answers to the hard questions will be much more telling.

I asked in the original "hat in the ring" thread if anyone knew where he stood on actual issues, and pretty much killed the thread. Apparently, nobody had an answer.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
The highest form of patriotism is asking questions
it doesn't follow from that that you're only a true patriot if you dissent. you can ask questions and then agree once your knowledge is sated.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Just another vote whore whoring for votes.

Doubt if I will ever vote for some one who tows the party line...

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: sward666
His "position" on patriotism is merely stating the obvious. His answers to the hard questions will be much more telling.

I asked in the original "hat in the ring" thread if anyone knew where he stood on actual issues, and pretty much killed the thread. Apparently, nobody had an answer.

I must have missed that thread, but you do realize it's only been a few days since he's announced his intention to run for the presidency?

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Moralpanic
Originally posted by: sward666

I must have missed that thread, but you do realize it's only been a few days since he's announced his intention to run for the presidency?
Yes, thank you. It just seemed a bit premature for folks to be stroking each other off, and it still does.