Were you a cool kid in school?

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I was never a "cool" kid, but did hang out with "cool" kids. So maybe I was "cool" enough.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Are we using "cool" and "popular" interchangeably? Or is this more of a venn diagram kind of demographics?

Not that it matters because I wasn't in either of those rings.

:p

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i wasn't THE cool kid or anything, but i was more of a "cool nerd" in highschool.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I was a loner, so no. But I am pretty sure that being uncool does not guarantee success, haha.

MarkXIX

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2010
LOL! Nope.

I was so insignificant that my teachers would mark me absent even though I was in class.

I remember my senior year in high school I was the first wrestler in like 20 years to make it to the California state finals and they announced it over the intercom and people sitting right next to me said "Who?" as I sat there.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Yeah, a lot of the nerds in my high school went on to become very well educated and successful. Some of the cool kids did too, but anecdotally it seems a lot less of them did. One guy ended up being a relatively successful drug dealer for a while though. :D

BTW, this seems to be a common theme of teen coming-of-age movies. Captain of the football team 10 years later is an alcoholic or whatever, and the ugly duckling is a sexy librarian at age 20.

I think it was a Stargate SG-1 episode too.

EDIT:

Not really, but sorta:

Stargate SG-1: Bounty

Nope. This is the only place I am cool.
Or so you think... ;)

Last edited:

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I was a NERD in high school! :(

Now? Well now I make my millins and date HOT models. :)

Whose laughing now?

K7SN

Jun 21, 2015
No I wasn't except maybe grade school where there 12 kids in a class and no-one was cool but there were some who were not cool. I was cool by default that I wasn't not cool. High School being a year younger than everyone else was difficult, Junior prom I didn't have drivers license or car. Good enough to be the only freshman to make the varsity team but then not to letter (Being a four year letterman was cool) you had to play an inning per scheduled game and being a pinch hitter, even if you got a hit, didn't count but half an inning, something my coach was aware of the last game and he had me pinch hit for my position player (outfielder) and I got a hit and he took me out for pinch runner. Never played sports for that coach or school again. College was worst, four years older than most, I was from an age where drugs were things like penicillin and aspirin, when I came back to college on the GI bill (70), I'm the only person in a psychology class who doesn't do "drugs" of some kind. I don't regret it but the only class I ever took I felt part of was ROTC and as a veteran I didn't have to take that class. Grad school I guess I was the weird guy who raced motorcycles in the desert. I come back from two-day thanksgiving break proud of my finish in Barstow to Vegas and the nerds (A word by the 70s and my friends noting my bruised and battered body and general stiffness considered me more of a fool than cool. Being cool then was more work than I wanted to do.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Nope.

But, here is the status of the "cool" kids from my school;
- dead of a heart attack at 37 (he use to juice, probably still did) leaves behind a wife and his kids
- one found Jesus, after OD'ing
- one got busted trying to smuggle drugs to Europe, in his girlfriend's vagina
- one got shot in the face by his father for doing/dealing drugs (he is supposedly now 'clean')
- one got booted from college for throwing a sofa out of her window at the dorms, she never went to another school after that,... not sure where she ended up,..
- lots of divorces
- all of them (besides the dead juicer) are 100 plus lbs overweight and have kids with health issues

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I didn't read the full study, but the excerpt in the op seems weird. 15 isn't that old; if the cool 13 year olds are already becoming uncool with 3 years remaining in high school, due to drug use or whatever, they're not cool kids, they're losers. The cool kids should be defined as the ones that remain cool through most/all of high school, to see if they then become losers upon graduating. That would be more interesting.

I was homeschooled btw but of my siblings I'm probably the one that got least involved in games and stuff, so I'd be the uncool one.

Last edited: