Were guns originally intended to be weapons?

Were guns originally intended to be weapons?

• Yes, it is clear guns were designed to be primarily weapons

• It is unclear what the intent of the designers was

• No, guns were designed for a main purpose other than as a weapon

Results are only viewable after voting.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
When I mean originally intended, I mean were the first guns designed and built with the intent that they be used as weapons, to kill and injure living things?

This may need to be an off topic thread, not entire sure :/

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Gun powder may have had other uses, but to fire a projectile? That's to kill things. You were in a world of melee weapons, bows, or hand thrown. Guns changed everything.

Check out the Fire lance.

row

May 28, 2013
HSF said:
Historians typically recognize Chinese fire lances, which were invented in the 10th century, as the first guns. These bamboo or metal tubes projected flames and shrapnel at their targets.

doesn't specify, but i'd hazard to guess the target wasn't yaks. pretty sure next on the list were cannons, definitely not for hunting (can't wait till we get to the 2nd amendment stuff).

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Ninja's used to use blow guns with poison tips to make innocents fall asleep, so they could sneak in and assassinate their primary victims. There was a code of conduct/code of honor among ninja's to only hurt their primary target, and not injure innocents. So the blow gun was designed for that purpose.

So I need to vote, yes a weapon! Not necessarily a lethal weapon though.

*I'm totally making that up.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
doesn't specify, but i'd hazard to guess the target wasn't yaks. pretty sure next on the list were cannons, definitely not for hunting (can't wait till we get to the 2nd amendment stuff).

Yeah I found that earlier when I was getting curious what people think.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
The knife was a weapon, the hammer was a weapon. Our entire civilization is built upon arms races.

Feb 6, 2007
Obviously guns were originally invented to replace traditional cutlery, as knives and forks in the middle ages were notoriously unreliable. It was only after many an unhappy accident at the dinner table that people began to realize their potential as a weapon.

Seriously, what kind of question is this? What does it matter why something was invented? Military research was behind the design of modern rockets, but they got us to the moon. Military research was also fundamental in developing the modern computer, but I doubt you're using yours to wage war. Just because something was developed with military application in mind does not mean that it is only capable of killing.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
The knife was a weapon, the hammer was a weapon. Our entire civilization is built upon arms races.

Hammers were probably more to build as well I think.

I'm not saying it wasnt, just curious about people's definitions.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
Obviously guns were originally invented to replace traditional cutlery, as knives and forks in the middle ages were notoriously unreliable. It was only after many an unhappy accident at the dinner table that people began to realize their potential as a weapon.

Seriously, what kind of question is this? What does it matter why something was invented? Military research was behind the design of modern rockets, but they got us to the moon. Military research was also fundamental in developing the modern computer, but I doubt you're using yours to wage war. Just because something was developed with military application in mind does not mean that it is only capable of killing.

I got into a discussion with someone who said guns aren't weapons, I asked him if that was their original intent and he said he didn't know what the intent of the creator of guns was.... and here we are.

Feb 6, 2007
I got into a discussion with someone who said guns aren't weapons, I asked him if that was their original intent and he said he didn't know what the intent of the creator of guns was.... and here we are.

Well call him an idiot and move on. Obviously guns were created as weapons designed to give an edge on the battlefield; the first guns were cannons, which aren't useful for anything outside of warfare. However, just because people were using cannons to repel sieges in the 1200s doesn't mean that modern guns can't have a non-violent use. I'd still classify most guns as weapons, mind you, but you make it sound as though anyone who has a gun is just looking for an excuse to shoot a human, and that's patently absurd.

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009

I always thought they were originally invented to help clean your ears and pick your nose.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000

Many things may have been created for one use but can be used for another. Knives were not created as weapons but as tools, the spear was likely the first thing intended as a weapon. Guns however were not invented for recreational use or anything, they were created to fill a need. Very likely that need was militarily use instead of a hunting use. It is remarkable how much innovation has come from a military standpoint throughout history. I cannot imagine what someone who thinks guns intended purpose was not weaponry thinks they were intended to be used as.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
Many things may have been created for one use but can be used for another. Knives were not created as weapons but as tools, the spear was likely the first thing intended as a weapon. Guns however were not invented for recreational use or anything, they were created to fill a need. Very likely that need was militarily use instead of a hunting use. It is remarkable how much innovation has come from a military standpoint throughout history. I cannot imagine what someone who thinks guns intended purpose was not weaponry thinks they were intended to be used as.

Completely agree. Nothing more to add.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

Guns aren't weapons? That's just foolishness. Of course they are. But that's also irrelevant to the discussion of whether they should be banned. Sometimes, weapons are needed. There are predators out there - why shouldn't people be able to defend themselves?

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
To replace the spear...for hunting? No matter its provenance, man will find a way to use it for death and destruction via letting it become a violent extension of his emotions. Lots of inventions fill that bill too; knives, hammers, cars, dishes, fire (not really an invention), lamps, vases...whatever is at hand, and a gun fits the hand sooooo well.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
Guns aren't weapons? That's just foolishness. Of course they are. But that's also irrelevant to the discussion of whether they should be banned. Sometimes, weapons are needed. There are predators out there - why shouldn't people be able to defend themselves?

I just needed to establish what we were talking about before we could get into it.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
To replace the spear...for hunting? No matter its provenance, man will find a way to use it for death and destruction via letting it become a violent extension of his emotions. Lots of inventions fill that bill too; knives, hammers, cars, dishes, fire (not really an invention), lamps, vases...whatever is at hand, and a gun fits the hand sooooo well.

Well you had the bow & arrow and the crossbow in between the spear and gun. Considering the inaccuracy and weak penetration of the earliest guns I am not sure how effective they were for hunting. Small game perhaps.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
the spear was likely the first thing intended as a weapon

I doubt it.

Think fast. You are in an temperate to tropical surrounding and something is coming to eat you. Besides lie down and die what do you do? Don't just flail your arms, look around you.

PS, you can't outrun the threat.

row

May 28, 2013
I doubt it.

Think fast. You are in an temperate to tropical surrounding and something is coming to eat you. Besides lie down and die what do you do? Don't just flail your arms, look around you.

offer the leftist cowering next to you?

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I doubt it.

Omg do I poke it with a stick?!

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
This poll is silly, though I voted the obvious answer in it.

Of course, guns are weapons. Nobody denies that they are weapons.

The issue is that some people would like to ignore the purposes weapons serve OTHER THAN simply to kill people.

They also serve to kill animals for food, for fun, or to make an area safer (either for humans or other animals.)

They also serve as a deterrent, and their presence can thus REDUCE violence and harm if they are used correctly.

They also serve to wound, to stop a threat without actually killing it.

They also serve to dissuade tyranny. A government inclined toward becoming a complete Orwellian nightmare state will be given much more pause by a populace which is armed than by one which is not.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I believe they were created by Shamans for the placebo effect. People would come to them with stories of demons under their beds. The Shamans identified the source of this fear and named it a conservative brain defect, a heightened sensitivity to fearful and disgusting thinking. So they invented the gun to put under conservatives' pillows to help them sleep. Later they invented sleeping pills to help them stay that way, having discovered that while they slept the world in general was a better place.