We're all complaining about gas prices but are you doing anything about it?

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
We're all getting gouged at the pump, but has anybody actually done anything about this. Car pooling, public transportation, bicycle...? Im considering it.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Sure am. I bike to work now and the woman would do the same, but has no where to park her bike and the distance is pretty far.

imported_Trippin315

Golden Member
Nov 23, 2004
Like what, stop driving. We are all had by the short hairs. I am just going to suck it up. An extra 5-10 dollars a week is not going to kill me. If it will kill you, you have bigger issues.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
I have ~53 mile commute each way, and I'm crossing state lines. No real options except to just eat the price hike. :(

RCN

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2005
I'm not complaining and you riding a bike or whatever is not going to lower my gas prices. There is increasing demand elsewhere.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Trippin315
Like what, stop driving. We are all had by the short hairs. I am just going to suck it up. An extra 5-10 dollars a week is not going to kill me. If it will kill you, you have bigger issues.

That depends on your income. Yeah, if you are out of college and in a career it is not as bad. While in college, it can be a problem.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
You're only considering it? I take mass transit to work and school. Only drive on weekends. I fill up once a month at the pump. Went to the pump on Saturday, had a $5 bump from the previous fill-up.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Doing anything about it? We're Americans, of course we're not doing anything about except complaining.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Trippin315

Unless you drive a gas guzzler, I agree with you in that you should not be complaining about the financial impact the increased gas prices are having on your life. But what I am complaining about it the fact that I need gas, the price is ridiculous, and I can't do anything about it. If coffee prices started to go up, i would switch to tea. There are no substitues to gasoline many of us feel like we're being rap*d.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Sure. I resorted to using Nigerian scams to pay for my gas bills. Even though I rake in $100,000 a month, I'm barely breaking even :(

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
ive never complained, and am not hurting.

yet.

just waiting until i can get a Viggen and average mid 30's highway since my main commute will be highways, opposite of rush hour.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Not possible for me to bike to work. No public transportation available. Nobody lives close to me. So no.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
My car got 39 mpg last time I filled up. I only drive when necessary and walk pretty much everywhere on campus.

Udel

Sep 2, 2005
Originally posted by: FoBoT
i don't know about any gouging

Then you don't know enough. Look at how oil is priced, what the real value of it is, and how they exploit shortage fears to line their pockets. Big oil is a business like anything else, they aren't doing you any favors.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: Udel

Then you don't know enough. Look at how oil is priced, what the real value of it is, and how they exploit shortage fears to line their pockets. Big oil is a business like anything else, they aren't doing you any favors.

bottled water has a higher profit margin than gasoline

are the bottled water companies gouging?

KarmaPolice

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
yeah..little things like riding your bike and car pooling will help. but there is no stopping the beast. Nothing like that will solve our problems...we either need A) new energy source or B) find a much more effecient hybrid that can be made cheap..

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003

The bottled water prices have been consistent for as long as i can remember.

RCN

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2005

The real value? The real value is what people will pay for it.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Yeah, I've got six mullas in my basement. They get to go home when oil prices drop. Turnabout is fair play :p

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000

He's a knee-jerk liberal and the tinfoil hat creates interference that won't allow the facts to make contact with his brain. If he is not a liberal then he is in recruitment since he is wearing the tinfoil hat.