Went Surfing for the First Time

ROTC1983

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2002
Went surfing today for the first time on a 11 foot long board. Loads of fun. The only bad part was coming back in, I kind of drifted towards a shallow area and I got stranded there with my board. Afterwards, a wave came knocked me into the rocks and I cut my left hand, my legs, my toes, and hit my head. That wasn't fun and I still had ways to go swimming in. Surfing rocks though. I recommend that everyone try it. :)

oblizue

Jan 8, 2002
How hard was it to start out?
Any previous experience with other boards?
Where did you go?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
haha, you're suppsoed to catch a wave in ;)

And where the hell did you find an 11' board, the 60s? But yeah, surfing rocks :)

ROTC1983

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2002
Originally posted by: oblizue
How hard was it to start out?
Any previous experience with other boards?
Where did you go?

First time for me today. My friend took a class yesterday and taught me some of the tricks. I can now stand and take the waves back in. Only took me about an hour till I could actually stand up. I was surfing in Waikiki near the Hale Koa.

ROTC1983

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2002
Originally posted by: notfred

And where the hell did you find an 11' board, the 60s? But yeah, surfing rocks :)

I tried to catch a wave in but none came. Then all of sudden the rocks showed up and I got stranded on them. That sucked.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ROTC1983

I tried to catch a wave in but none came. Then all of sudden the rocks showed up and I got stranded on them. That sucked.

Oh well, you'll get better, surfing takes lots of practice :)

ROTC1983

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2002
Originally posted by: ROTC1983

Oh well, you'll get better, surfing takes lots of practice :)

Yeah, I hope my reef burn gets better soon. I was bleeding the whole time on the bus and the walk down the hill to get back home :( Its cool though, I was soo happy that I went surfing. Can't wait to go again. I will have to buy my own board though.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Buy one shorter than 11'. Even if you want to stick with the longboard, get a more modern tri-fin 9'0".

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Brand name doesn't mean much with surfboards, really. In most areas there are a bunch of respected local shapers who can put out boards that are jsut as good as HIC or Rusty or Al Merrick or any other of the big brand names. Actually, often you end up with better boards from the local guys, since surfboards are still msotly shaped by hand, and believe me, Al Merrick doesn't shape every board with his name on it. Most are shaped by other guys that no one's ever heard of. If they were really that great, they'd be putting thier own names on the boards.

Anyway though, not to be rude or anything, but you're not going to notice the sublte differences in bottom contour and fin placement till you've got a year or so of experience under your belt, anyway. I say you should start off by buying a used board in good shape and pretty close dimensions to what you want (I was surfing on longboards at 9'0"x21"x3", which is really pretty much ahigh performance design. you would be fine with a bit more width or thinkness) from any shaper with a good reputation. You'll also save $200-300 by buying used, and you'll learn how to avoid the rocks while using a cheap used board, instead of a $500 custom shaped board :)

ROTC1983

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2002
Brand name doesn't mean much with surfboards, really. In most areas there are a bunch of respected local shapers who can put out boards that are jsut as good as HIC or Rusty or Al Merrick or any other of the big brand names. Actually, often you end up with better boards from the local guys, since surfboards are still msotly shaped by hand, and believe me, Al Merrick doesn't shape every board with his name on it. Most are shaped by other guys that no one's ever heard of. If they were really that great, they'd be putting thier own names on the boards.

Anyway though, not to be rude or anything, but you're not going to notice the sublte differences in bottom contour and fin placement till you've got a year or so of experience under your belt, anyway. I say you should start off by buying a used board in good shape and pretty close dimensions to what you want (I was surfing on longboards at 9'0"x21"x3", which is really pretty much ahigh performance design. you would be fine with a bit more width or thinkness) from any shaper with a good reputation. You'll also save $200-300 by buying used, and you'll learn how to avoid the rocks while using a cheap used board, instead of a $500 custom shaped board :)

Thanks a lot. Shouldn't be too hard to find a used board in Hawaii. I can crash that as many times as I want. Can't wait to go out again. I will let ya know how things are going when I get a board.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Cool. I hope you stick with it. Sometimes it can be challenging at first, but once you get into it you'll love it :)
I surfed from 7th grade through two years of college, and now I live 75 miles from the beach while I finish school. Surfing and the ocean is the thing I miss most... more than my family, actually. As soon as I graduate I'll be moving back to the coast. :)

Pictures from near my parent's house

Kenny

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2002
Do'h, tricked again. This is the second time I've seen a surfing thread, but thought it was about websurfing. :(

MrCodeDude

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Pssh, surfing sucks. Actually, I've never been. Snorkling and Scuba diving in Monterey Bay is pretty cool though. My friend's dad was a licensed SCUBA instructor.
-- mrcodedude

ROTC1983

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2002
Originally posted by: MrCodeDude
Pssh, surfing sucks. Actually, I've never been. Snorkling and Scuba diving in Monterey Bay is pretty cool though. My friend's dad was a licensed SCUBA instructor.
-- mrcodedude

I went snorkeling on Moorea about a week ago. It was so beautiful. I want to get Scuba Certified as soon as possible. That would be so awesome.