Went on an interview today.....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VTHodge

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
Originally posted by: VTHodge
If you always give the "right" answer on the test, the automated scoring system might call you a liar. Like "I have never stolen", "I have never lied", "I have never left early". If it is that kind of test.

I took on of those at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and the employee said one of her super-Christian friends failed the test by giving those answers, even though they were true.

BTW, I didn't get the job because another friend of that employee walked in while we were talking and said, "Oh, are you hiring? I should work here!" So, there you go.

I thought that when I was taking an entry test for the FBI.

"Have you ever used illegal drugs"

I figured, surely the FBI doesnt want a bunch of pansies that have lived under their mothers skirt their whole life, so I answered yes. Never heard anything back.
That happened to a guy I went to college with. He was applying for a position with the State Dept after having done his co-op with them. One of the questions in his screening was "How often do you drink?". He told them "1 or 2 beers a day, then I'll usually get pretty drunk on either Friday or Saturday night." He found out from some contacts he had that that was the reason he didn't get the job. He was crushed about it.

vrbaba

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2003
If you always give the "right" answer on the test, the automated scoring system might call you a liar. Like "I have never stolen", "I have never lied", "I have never left early". If it is that kind of test.

I took on of those at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and the employee said one of her super-Christian friends failed the test by giving those answers, even though they were true.

BTW, I didn't get the job because another friend of that employee walked in while we were talking and said, "Oh, are you hiring? I should work here!" So, there you go.

I figured, surely the FBI doesnt want a bunch of pansies that have lived under their mothers skirt their whole life, so I answered yes. Never heard anything back.
That happened to a guy I went to college with. He was applying for a position with the State Dept after having done his co-op with them. One of the questions in his screening was "How often do you drink?". He told them "1 or 2 beers a day, then I'll usually get pretty drunk on either Friday or Saturday night." He found out from some contacts he had that that was the reason he didn't get the job. He was crushed about it.

LMAO at BOTH of them....

Are you even listening to yourself? Someone who does drugs and drinks every night and gets wasted every weekend... would you even hire yourself?

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Triforceofcourage
Before I leave the Director of the department says he wants me to come in tomorrow to take this personality test that is required for the company for all applicants. I received an email from this cute girl in HR a few hours later and she said everyone was impressed with me and that it was a pleasure to meet me. She also included the time for when I am coming in tomorrow to take that test.

So how did I do?

You describe how you did well then ask how did I do? Are you that insecure?

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: vrbaba

LMAO at BOTH of them....

Are you even listening to yourself? Someone who does drugs and drinks every night and gets wasted every weekend... would you even hire yourself?

You'd be surprised how many tokers are around, people who are multitudes more successful than you. Not everyone who likes to toke one up on occasion is that kid on Dazed and Confused.

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003

LMAO at BOTH of them....

You'd be surprised how many tokers are around, people who are multitudes more successful than you. Not everyone who likes to toke one up on occasion is that kid on Dazed and Confused.

Yup, one of the smartest people at my high school was a pot head, but only on the weekends :p.

VTHodge

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
Originally posted by: apac

LMAO at BOTH of them....

Yup, one of the smartest people at my high school was a pot head, but only on the weekends :p.

The thing about my friend is that when he wasn't at school he didn't drink much. He just didn't think about it. Yeah, it was a mistake to phrase it how he did and he knows it.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001

LMAO at BOTH of them....

So faced with two nearly identical candidates, do you hire the one who admitted to using illegal drugs or the one the said he never did? Any interviewer is going to play the percentages. I can't imagine why you'd think admitting it would help in any way. If you want to show you're not a pansy tell them about the bear wrestling you did a few years ago.

vrbaba

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2003

LMAO at BOTH of them....

LOL, that response only lets me to believe how NOT smart and successful you are.

The comment is not that if you do drinks/drugs, u wont be successful.... but the fact that if you tell that to the employer, he is not going to employ you over someone with same skills and doesnt admit to drinking EVERYday and doing drugs.

Next time u go for an interview be sure to mention it, even if u dont do it, so that he will think of ur friend who has done drugs and became successful and employ u based on it.

jiggahertz

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
Originally posted by: yowolabi

LMAO at BOTH of them....

So faced with two nearly identical candidates, do you hire the one who admitted to using illegal drugs or the one the said he never did? Any interviewer is going to play the percentages. I can't imagine why you'd think admitting it would help in any way. If you want to show you're not a pansy tell them about the bear wrestling you did a few years ago.

I agree, but for jobs requiring a security clearance it's always best to be up front, especially about alcohol/drug use. The majority of clearances are denied for people lying about items which would not have disqualified them. Honesty is a big factor.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: yowolabi

LOL!

I'll never forget the time I was applying for a job at a transportation company. I was working there as a temp, they loved me and wanted to hire me. All I had to do was go through the automated phone screening (press numbers in response to questions).

Let's just say that I thought honesty was the best policy. I'll NEVER do that again. The VERY next day I came into work and they said "sorry, gotta let you go...the DOT doesn't mess around with that stuff. And WTF were you thinking???!!!! Just say you never have, you dummy!"

Learned my lesson.

MixMasterTang

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
Employment Drug Policy for FBI

The FBI is firmly committed to a drug-free society and work place. Therefore, the unlawful use of drugs by FBI employees is not tolerated. Furthermore, applicants for employment with the FBI who currently use illegal drugs will be found unsuitable for employment. The FBI does not condone any prior unlawful drug use by applicants. We realize, however, some otherwise qualified applicants may have used drugs at some point in their pasts. The following policy sets forth the criteria for determining whether any prior drug use makes an applicant unsuitable for employment, balancing the needs of the FBI to maintain a drug-free workplace and the public integrity necessary to accomplish the FBI?s intelligence and law enforcement missions. Applicants who do not meet the listed criteria should not apply for any FBI position.

Criteria

Under the FBI's current Employment Drug Policy, an applicant will be found unsuitable for employment if they:

Have used any illegal drug (including anabolic steroids after February 27, 1991), other than marijuana, within the past ten years, or engaged in more than minimal experimentation in their lifetime. In making the determination about an applicant?s suitability for FBI employment, all relevant facts, including the frequency of use, will be evaluated.
Have used marijuana/cannabis within the past three years, or have extensively used marijuana/cannabis or over a substantial period of time. In making the determination about an applicant?s suitability for FBI employment, all relevant facts, including the recency and frequency of use, will be evaluated.
You can easily determine whether you meet the FBI's illegal drug policy by answering the following questions:

Have you used marijuana at all within the last three years?
Have you used any other illegal drug (including anabolic steroids after February 27, 1991) at all in the past 10 years?
Have you ever sold any illegal drug for profit?
Have you ever used an illegal drug (no matter how many times or how long ago) while in a law enforcement or prosecutorial position, or in a position which carries with it a high level of responsibility or public trust?

If you answered Yes to any of these questions, you are not eligible for employment with the FBI.

toolboxolio

Jan 22, 2007
If I've learned anything from the #1 citizen of our country.... it's that honesty is far from the best policy.

It'll get you nowhere. Stick to "what they don't know won't hurt them."

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Do not mess with anyone remotely connected to HR. You can die from it. I am not kidding, HR is the most dangerous dept to piss off.