Well we didn't end up going with an X5 (pics)

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Found a good deal on an 04 A4 Quattro Cabriolet. Dealer maintained, $12K with 52K miles and brand new tires.
IMG_20130209_143923.jpg

The g/f loves it... so great success all around.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
12k with only 52k miles? Wow. Heated leather seats too? Seems odd having AWD + heated seats + rag top. But it's an all season kind of quirkyness.

Nice find!

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
12k with only 52k miles? Wow. Heated leather seats too? Seems odd having AWD + heated seats + rag top. But it's an all season kind of quirkyness.

Nice find!

Yeah, optioned up with premium package, infotainment package and heated seats. Definitely wanted the wintery stuff, even though it's a cabrio :)

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009

Heated seats actually have more use on a convertible as they open up the temperature range of top-down driving.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Damn, you're like the master deal finder. I should pay you to find me a car. That's a nice deal.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Winter is a great time to buy a convertible -

Repairs are what scare me about Audi VW cars like nothing else.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Eh - I don't know about this generation of Audi/VAG products. While it may be dealer maintained, the maintenance costs and general repair on these monsters are atrocious :X

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Eh - I don't know about this generation of Audi/VAG products. While it may be dealer maintained, the maintenance costs and general repair on these monsters are atrocious :X

I'm willing to bet you've never owned one and have zero basis for this assesment. Blank statements like that come almost exclusively from people that have only owned civics and camrys.

< Owned B5 A4, 2.7T A6, 4.2L S4

Last edited:

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
I'm willing to bet you've never owned one and have zero basis for this assesment. Blank statements like that come almost exclusively from people that have only owned civics and camrys.

Yeah, but by your own chronicles of those on this here forum, didn't they all give you shits, or you had to do major shits to them, and ultimately don't own them anymore?

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Yeah, but by your own chronicles of those on this here forum, didn't they all give you shits, or you had to do major shits to them, and ultimately don't own them anymore?

The only project was the S4, I put some 40K+ on on both the A4 (starting at 80K) and A6 (starting at ~100K) without any major expense.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

Hah - you can't tell me that repairing anything on this is going to be cheap:

s4v8-2.jpg

But hey, don't take my word for it: VWVortex B6 S4 Reliability

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Hah - you can't tell me that repairing anything on this is going to be cheap:

s4v8-2.jpg

But hey, don't take my word for it: VWVortex B6 S4 Reliability

Rebuild set ran me ~$800
img0301ig.jpg

Short block from a burned car another $1200
img0532ay.jpg

The S4 thing is function of maintenance - if you buy it used and previous owner used jiffy lube every 15K miles, odds are you will have problems with the cam adjusters, valve guides or in the worst case scenario oil consumption due to scoring.

I'm actually not a big fan of the car for other reasons, namely totally idiotic gearing and vague-at-best steering response. Between the v8 s4 and something like an e46 m3, it's totally no contest. M3 is sharper and better in every dimension, save the shifter feedback.

Last edited:

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
The b6 a4 is notoriously unreliable. The engines had sludging. Timing belts snapped. Etc. I think pretty much all b6 cars are dealer maintained since Audi gave free maintenance back then. Its ~850 now.

I don't know I don't really work on cars but I had a b8 and know a few other b7 owners and be owners who have had issues with oil burning and injector failures. Yes anecdotal but Audi deserves their reputation.

The b5 is supposed to be pretty solid from what I've read.

Last edited:

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
The b6 a4 is notoriously unreliable. The engines had sludging. Timing belts snapped. Etc. I think pretty much all b6 cars are dealer maintained since Audi gave free maintenance back then. Its ~850 now.

I don't know I don't really work on cars but I had a b8 and know a few other b7 owners and be owners who have had issues with oil burning and injector failures. Yes anecdotal but Audi deserves their reputation.

The b5 is supposed to be pretty solid from what I've read.

B5 and B6 cars share the same engines (the 30v v6 and the 1.8T). The turbo 4s definitely had some sludging issues, again something I'd attribute to maintenance.

Also the CVT transmission on the fwd cars is a disaster; wouldn't touch that w/o fidelity warranty.

2.0T in the newer cars is the one with oil burning/bad piston rings that Audi is recalling. My brother has a B8 A4 and audi so far has given him free PCV valve and waiting to see if he needs all new botom end.