Well water sulfide question

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
So I'm on well water, have been for many moons. Sulfides in the water, treated with hydrogen peroxide. We've had a bit of a drought which I think has concentrated our well water to the point where we started smelling it, so I turned up our treatment mixture, but we're seeing odd behavior. Right now I can turn on the water, it'll run for a few minutes and smell normal (increased amount of bubbles too, indicating we're a little too high on peroxide), but then after several minutes the smell comes back. We notice it on cold side, so nothing to do with the hot side of our infrastructure. I'm running it about double the normal peroxide currently and our system has gone through a flush cycle since then as well. Thoughts?

MadScientist

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
What type of system are you using to treat your well water?? Does your system use aeration (air injection)?? We own a small cabin up in the Smokies in TN. Our well is 320' deep. We treat the water with a series of triple cartridges and an iron, hydrogen sulfide filtration system similar to this one that uses a combination of air injection and resin beads. Pentair Filtration System When I smell sufide breakthru, about every 2 months, as per its manual, using a small plastic hose, I suck 2 quarts of 3% hydrogen peroxide into the filter thru its air injection port, let it sit for ~1 hour then run a full regen cycle.
https://www.henrydrillingandpump.com/3-methods-of-removing-hydrogen-sulfide-from-well-water
Our biggest problem, since the well is so deep, is a lot of sediment. Our neighbor, whose well is 380' deep, put a sleeve in his well. I may also do that and add a sendiment settling tank.

Last edited: