Well, Verizon Approves 4.2.2 update for GNex. Hell hath froze over?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/03/1...alaxy-nexus-lte-changelog-it-is-indeed-jdq39/

Verizon to post up their official changelog, to make sure that the update was build JDQ39 and around 88MB in size. Thankfully for our sake, it is indeed JDQ39 and the same update as the build that leaked a couple of weeks ago, so for those who already updated, you are golden.

Also includes imaginary features, such as Miracast Wireless Display. Perhaps this is why the 4.2 update took 5 months?

One thing we’re a little confused about is the “Photo Display” section. There is a mention of enabling “wireless display,” but we know that the Galaxy Nexus doesn’t support Miracast and does not have this option. Someone at Verizon is confused.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Complaining about getting the latest release? Better than never. Most other users who don't have nexus device get shafted.

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
It does have new radios, but keep in mind, Samsug's GNex radios are just crap to begin with.

Barely OT, but does anybody have any experience changing out the antenna on this phone? I have a Gnex and it gets almost no CDMA service (the Thunderbolt next to it gets ~-80db).

On 4.1, this leads to missed calls, but SMS seem ok. On 4.2 (official and 3rd party ROMs) this leads to missed calls and no SMS service. I'm on a strong 4g and 3g service area, so I'm thinking hardware issue? The antenna part is like 15 bucks from China, so I'm tempted to try replacing the CDMA antenna before I throw this thing in the pail.

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
Well, having updated my GNex to 4.2.1, I notice that it is far less snappy than it was, including the time it takes for the display to activate when pressing the power button on, or deactivate when pressing it again. It was nearly instant before, but now it takes almost a full second.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Well, having updated my GNex to 4.2.1, I notice that it is far less snappy than it was, including the time it takes for the display to activate when pressing the power button on, or deactivate when pressing it again. It was nearly instant before, but now it takes almost a full second.

You want to update it quickly to 4.2.2. 4.2.1 wasn't very good update IMO. There is still slight delay with 4.2.2 but not as bad as 4.2.1. 4.2.1 overall was slow.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Barely OT, but does anybody have any experience changing out the antenna on this phone? I have a Gnex and it gets almost no CDMA service (the Thunderbolt next to it gets ~-80db).

You can't swap out a radio/antenna in a cell phone. Its pretty much integrated into the body and casing of the phone. Your best bet is to swap out the SIM, if that doesn't resolve the issue, warranty replace the phone. Its defective.

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
Try a new SIM.

The Thunderbolt was using the same SIM. As an aside, why would a different SIM help? I see this advice given all the time.

You can't swap out a radio/antenna in a cell phone. Its pretty much integrated into the body and casing of the phone. Your best bet is to swap out the SIM, if that doesn't resolve the issue, warranty replace the phone. Its defective.

You can't swap the radio, but you can swap the antenna in the CDMA Gnex. I'm skeptical that doing so will be productive, though. It is a second-hand phone, I'll have to check with Samsung as to whether I can get warranty service for it.

If I do end up swapping the antenna I'll update in a separate thread, there have to be some repair diyers in this forum :biggrin:

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
The Thunderbolt was using the same SIM. As an aside, why would a different SIM help? I see this advice given all the time.

The Tbolt uses a full size SIM, I forget the term. The Gnex uses a microSIM, its half the size. You did not use the same SIM in b oth.

SIMs contain the account and authentication information, if its borked, you'll get disconnected from the network when auth fails. It was a huge issue on the first gen VZW LTE phones, and gen 1.5 too.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
I actually had network problems from my SIM getting dislodged a bit, and I had to reseat it.

Anyway, I do suggest that everyone flash the new radio even if you keep the old ROM/kernel.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Back on topic . . . my SIM-less Gnex hasn't pulled the update as of about 1pm this afternoon. Not sure if you need an active SIM to get the update right now though.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
The Tbolt uses a full size SIM, I forget the term. The Gnex uses a microSIM, its half the size. You did not use the same SIM in b oth.

SIMs contain the account and authentication information, if its borked, you'll get disconnected from the network when auth fails. It was a huge issue on the first gen VZW LTE phones, and gen 1.5 too.

Does the GSM Gnex use a different sized SIM from the VZW? Cause I know mine used a full sized sim.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Does the GSM Gnex use a different sized SIM from the VZW? Cause I know mine used a full sized sim.

HTC Thunderbolt SIM.
htc-thunderbolt-verizon-4g-simcard-e1301816285851.jpg

Razr HD SIM (Used in all other Verizon LTE devices)

Motorola-Razr-HD-SIM-and-SD-Card-640x426.jpg

Popsci linked an adapter tray for the smaller type to be used in the Tbolt, but the larger type isn't going to fit in the GNex regardless.

prism

Oct 23, 2004
My Verizon GNex is currently rooted and Rom'd; is there a way for me to put it back to stock so that I can get the official OTA 4.2.2 release?

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
My Verizon GNex is currently rooted and Rom'd; is there a way for me to put it back to stock so that I can get the official OTA 4.2.2 release?
Why the heck would you want to do that? Either flash the update as a ROM, flash an update to your current ROM (if it's AOSP and still developed it should have hit 4.2.2 ages ago), or -- and if what you have is working well, I'd recommend this small step only -- just flash the radio.