Jan 31, 2004
E8400 @ 4005
445 FSB
Prime95 tested 12 hours stable

voltages:
CPU - 1.35 in bios 1.31 in CPU-Z 1.28 to 1.3 under load
NB - +.01
FSB - +.01
DDR - 1.86 (should be 1.9 is there vdroop for ram also?)

Temps:
Idle:
Core 1: 43
Core 2: 38
Load:
Core 1: 65
Core 2: 60

It spikes as high as 68 but generally doesn't stick there. Also these are from CoreTemp\Everest\HW Monitor. RealTemp are 10c less.

Is the voltage reading from CPU-Z is the correct one?

inverse

Jan 31, 2004
Ah graysky, I've studied your guide before OCing. Best OCing guide I've read :D

As for lapping, don't think I'd ever have the guts to do that :(

graysky

Mar 8, 2007
Thanks, glad you found some value in the guide. As to lapping, sure you do. Try the HS first, once you see that it's pretty easy to do, you'll wanna give the IHS a try too. It really isn't that hard.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
Originally posted by: graysky
Thanks, glad you found some value in the guide. As to lapping, sure you do. Try the HS first, once you see that it's pretty easy to do, you'll wanna give the IHS a try too. It really isn't that hard.

How do you keep from making a flat, but tilted surface? That's what I'd be worried about. Maybe it's a fear over nothing.

dajeepster

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: DSF

How do you keep from making a flat, but tilted surface? That's what I'd be worried about. Maybe it's a fear over nothing.

random, circular motions... but then if it is circular, is it really random? :confused:

actually it was a figure 8 movement... at least it was when I lapped my 1800+ way back when

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

It's not really an issue to have flat but tilted when you are mounting a HSF that uses springs to maintain the pressure between the HSF and the mobo.

The springs will ensure the flat but tilted HSF or IHS is equally loaded across the surface. If your HSF doesn't mount with spring loaded pressure (my Tuniq's do) then you could be asking for trouble by lapping without being positive as to the pitch you are creating.

When spring-loaded, the HSF may "lean" to one side by an imperceptible amount but it won't be the leaning tower of Pisa if that's your concern.

graysky

Mar 8, 2007

Key is not to press down as you do it. Let the sand paper and the weight of the HS do the work for you and change your sand paper frequently. Read this lapping guide I wrote up based on my experiences for more.