Well, Ebay for the win! (Battlefield 3 complaint)

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Well, finally bought BF3. Found somebody advertising an ENGLISH key on ebay to redeem on Origin for $30.00. I went in and redeemed, and the Game is in RUSSIAN.

The add mentions NOTHING about this, states clearly including the title that its an English game.

I called Origin twice, they will do nothing.

I filed a dispute with Paypal, who denied it. I called them and they credited me $15 back and said to file a dispute with the FBI. Because I bought an "Intangible item", they cannot give me the full $30 back.

So once again, Ebay screws me over, and I have a Russian copy of BF3 and am out $15.00.

watek

Apr 21, 2004
If you want you can just download the russian to english files and play the game

Oct 25, 2006
If you did any reading at all whatsoever or googled it, you would learn that Russian keys are valid for english games

Also Origin will not do anything because its not "legal" to use foreign keys for games distributed in the US, though they wont do anything to stop you, they won't help you.

Classic case of PEBKAC

maevinj

Nov 20, 2004
Battlefield 3 Complaint? how so?
Sounds like a good lesson on not buying origin keys off Ebay...

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
If you did any reading at all whatsoever or googled it, you would learn that Russian keys are valid for english games

Also Origin will not do anything because its not "legal" to use foreign keys for games distributed in the US, though they wont do anything to stop you, they won't help you.

Classic case of PEBKAC

This is not what Origin has told me, so tone it down with the snotty remarks. I clearly bought a game being sold as English, stated multiple times. When I redeemed the key, it's Russian. I simply never got what I purchased, bottom line. Pointing me out is stupid as I clearly bought a Key stated as English. Yes I made the mistake of buying off ebay, I'm now aware of that. I'm just venting.

I don't feel I should have to install and alter the game to play in English since I clearly bought the game that was supposed to be in English. The seller has offered no explanation.

I asked Origin about changing the language to Russian manually, and they stated not to do this.

Ebay has also already removed the User access to sell since I reported it, yet, would not give me my money back.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2006
This is not what Origin has told me, so tone it down with the snotty remarks. I clearly bought a game being sold as English, stated multiple times. When I redeemed the key, it's Russian. I simply never got what I purchased.

Ebay has also already removed the User access to sell since I reported it, yet, would not give me my money back.

It's not a complete lie. There is absolutely nothing stopping you from using the key for a normal edition of the game. Absolutely nothing.

Every single 30$ key on ebay for BF3 is going to be that, unless its someone just undercutting everyone else. Every single 30$ key is going to be from a Russian copy. And every single one of them works for the ENG version of the game.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Contact ebay and file a dispute saying not as described. Ebay sides with the buyer almost every single time when that is the problem.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
This is what happens when greedy people try to be greedy. The game was discounted on legit places like Amazon multiple times. You were greedy and someone took advantage of you.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
It's not a complete lie. There is absolutely nothing stopping you from using the key for a normal edition of the game. Absolutely nothing.

Every single 30$ key on ebay for BF3 is going to be that, unless its someone just undercutting everyone else. Every single 30$ key is going to be from a Russian copy. And every single one of them works for the ENG version of the game.

How do I do this, since Origin tells me there is no way?

I can download English files and use a Switcher to change them, but Origin tells me this is against the Digital rules of the Game.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
This is what happens when greedy people try to be greedy. The game was discounted on legit places like Amazon multiple times. You were greedy and someone took advantage of you.

Huh?

Are you serious?

I'm greedy for buying a game on ebay for $30?

You do realize that I was sold something that wasn't as stated? How am I being greedy?

Going by your logic, you only buy Games at full retail price because "your not greedy?"

If I was going to be Greedy, I'd download a Torrent, and not come on here worrying about staying Legit.

Last edited:

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Really? No one has mentioned this yet?

You can use a language changer, OP. Your copy of BF3 is perfectly fine. You just need to mod it so that it uses English, and it will work identical as if you would've bought the English version.

http://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/battlefield-3-origin/bf3lang.html

I've verified it's safe.

Edit: Oops, didn't read the entire thread. Maybe they say it isn't allowed, but you could try using the language changer anyway. What's the harm?

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Of course Origin is going to tell you not to do it, the same way Intel will tell you never overclock your processor and GM will tell you never look under the hood of your car. Business as usual.

Doesn't mean it's not ok though. Just do some googling and I'd imagine you can figure it out.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Really? No one has mentioned this yet?

You can use a language changer, OP. Your copy of BF3 is perfectly fine. You just need to mod it so that it uses English, and it will work identical as if you would've bought the English version.

http://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/battlefield-3-origin/bf3lang.html

I've verified it's safe.

Edit: Oops, didn't read the entire thread. Maybe they say it isn't allowed, but you could try using the language changer anyway. What's the harm?

Thanks, I will give this a go.

Earlier today I found I could do this, but Origin tells me you can only do this to Physical Retail copies of the game. Digital Codes are specific to language and are not allowed to be changed. Called them twice, told same thing.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Of course Origin is going to tell you not to do it, the same way Intel will tell you never overclock your processor and GM will tell you never look under the hood of your car. Business as usual.

Doesn't mean it's not ok though. Just do some googling and I'd imagine you can figure it out.

My concern is my Origin account. As long as its safe, I'll try it.

They said not to do it. I don't want my account blocked.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004

Classic case of PEBKAC

Um no, classic case of garbage customer service.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
My concern is my Origin account. As long as its safe, I'll try it.

They said not to do it. I don't want my account blocked.

Considering how many people have bought a Russian copy, used a language changer, and had zero problems with it, I'd imagine you'll be fine. The mod just changes a few registry entries locally on your computer and won't interfere with your Origin account in any way.

Just don't go running your mouth about it on the EA forums or to their support staff, and you'll be fine. :)

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Considering how many people have bought a Russian copy, used a language changer, and had zero problems with it, I'd imagine you'll be fine. The mod just changes a few registry entries locally on your computer and won't interfere with your Origin account in any way.

Just don't go running your mouth about it on the EA forums or to their support staff, and you'll be fine. :)

haha.. Thanks. I'll give it a go.

I was just venting here. Sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way. Wasn't trying to be greedy. Who wouldn't try to save $15 on a game?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I don't think you should do the mod if it breaks any of Origin's rules, since if they do audit your account, it is possible you will be blacklisted, and lose your account. Not worth the supposed saving, but if people tell you, do it, just don't tell Origin, that sends up huge red warning flags.

I still don't know why people try to save a buck on fleabay, end up getting burnt, then complain to anyone but fleabay about how it don't work. It isn't the companies who made the item in question fault, since you didn't buy it from them or a boxed / retail copy.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I don't think you should do the mod if it breaks any of Origin's rules, since if they do audit your account, it is possible you will be blacklisted, and lose your account. Not worth the supposed saving, but if people tell you, do it, just don't tell Origin, that sends up huge red warning flags.

I still don't know why people try to save a buck on fleabay, end up getting burnt, then complain to anyone but fleabay about how it don't work. It isn't the companies who made the item in question fault, since you didn't buy it from them or a boxed / retail copy.

Well, I use ebay a lot, and for the most part, Most are honest. I'll admit though I've never purchased a Key before on ebay. I always use Steam.

It's not like I was trying to rip Origin off, I just thought I'd save $15. All I want to play is the campaign, I could always download a Torrent but am trying to stay legit here. I don't pirate games. I'm not into Multiplayer Shooters much.

This person was new to ebay so no feedback to base off of.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I'm shocked. $30? Wasn't it just recently on sale for that exact price? Too bad you missed out.

Aaaand there's your biggest mistake right there.

The one time I'd ask ebay for a refund and they deny it as being "intangible item".