Well crap...

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I drive a diesel VW, 2000 vintage, 250,000 miles on the clock. Runs great, but the thermostat has gone out. It won't get warm, especially in cold weather. I've put this off for a while because of COVID and the fact we just didn't use our vehicles because we weren't going places.

Diesels are at their best when at operating temp, typically 190°F. Nor do you want anyone working on a diesel. They actually have to pull a vacuum on the cooling system to purge air after a job like this. VW dealer, naw, that ain't happening, outrageous prices and labor rates.

We have a local shop that only does VW and Audi, great reputation and a fair price. So finally got it in to them, they are booked pretty solid. Dropped it off last week, and expected to get it back in a day or so. No call? So I called... recording on phone... "we are currently closed due to a positive COVID exposure... blah... blah... hope to reopen next week..."

Well crap... Wasn't in there long, interacted only with gal in office, and I'm vaccinated... but still... and they have my car.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Doh that sucks, especially since they have your car, and who knows until they reopen and can get to it. Before I had my vaccine there was an exposure at Walmart on one of the days I went. I RARELY go there, I just so happened to and of course it had to be on a day of exposure lol. I was doing a roadside pickup though so I imagine the risk was extremely low anyway.

Nov 8, 2012
I just paid $200 for a simple Acura (Honda) standard battery =/ Shits getting expensive for even standard parts.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Lead acid batteries seem to be one of the many things affected by the Covid Price Gauge(TM). Had to buy two 7.2ah ones for a small UPS and they're usually like 25 a pop they were more like $40 a pop.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Seriously! Having a car under a warranty would be nice!

$800 labor for radiator, $330 for radiator, $30 for upper/lower Gates hoses and $130 for two heater hoses as you might as well while you're in this deep.

Nov 8, 2012

$800 labor for radiator, $330 for radiator, $30 for upper/lower Gates hoses and $130 for two heater hoses as you might as well while you're in this deep.

Given the spike of prices in cars right now... specifically used cars... I would only potentially buy a new car, but ideally just hold off for a good year or 2 lol.

I need to replace my Acura/Honda at some point, but it keeps running fine, so another battery after 4 years is perfectly good investment over buying a new/used one.

(Especially since I work from home - albeit, I still do travel for work occasionally, so it does scare me into thinking I'm going to break down at some point).

Reactions: Zorba
Nov 8, 2012
Have you been ignoring those calls about you extended warranty expiring? :p

Yeah, i'm not a car fixit guy so i am a warranty-kind-of-guy.

Just don't overpay. You don't need to pay $125 for someone to install a new air filter. The filter costs < $15, and installing it is as easy as searching YouTube for a 5 minute video.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Just don't overpay. You don't need to pay $125 for someone to install a new air filter. The filter costs < $15, and installing it is as easy as searching YouTube for a 5 minute video.
Youtube University is the best. Free and you can practically find videos on anything you need to fix or learn about. It's better than college.

Couple days ago, the A/C on my Lexus LX470 stopped working when I was 2 hours away from home. At the hottest part of the day when the outside temp was reading 100 F. That drive home sucked! But after I drove home, I did simple Google and Youtube search. Saw how easy it was to replace the A/C blower motor. Literally 5 minute job while the dealership probably would charge me at least $1k. Found new non-OEM motors for $50 on Amazon and RockAuto but wanted OEM so I ordered one from Toyota dealer for $200. The crap part is I paid extra for overnight delivery and those bastards at the Toyota dealership still haven't shipped the part. So aggravating.

But Youtube University have saved me so much money, time, and aggravation. With the help of the videos, I've replaced parts and fixed my fridge, washer, dryer, deck, cars, and bunch of other things. Youtube is probably the most useful resource on the internet. You can learn how to do anything from Youtube.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Well, i can do the super easy stuff like that but a lot of things under warranty i wouldn't do myself even if i didn't have the warranty.

The dealership were i've bought my last 2 cars has pretty reasonable prices for things. Need new tires, they're the same price as a tire shop. Need some body work done, fight in line with other body shops
I even let them do my oil changes anymore. It's only slightly more than doing it myself & i don't have to bother getting rid of the used oil.

Nov 8, 2012
Youtube University is the best. Free and you can practically find videos on anything you need to fix or learn about. It's better than college.

Couple days ago, the A/C on my Lexus LX470 stopped working when I was 2 hours away from home. At the hottest part of the day when the outside temp was reading 100 F. That drive home sucked! But after I drove home, I did simple Google and Youtube search. Saw how easy it was to replace the A/C blower motor. Literally 5 minute job while the dealership probably would charge me at least $1k. Found new non-OEM motors for $50 on Amazon and RockAuto but wanted OEM so I ordered one from Toyota dealer for $200. The crap part is I paid extra for overnight delivery and those bastards at the Toyota dealership still haven't shipped the part. So aggravating.

But Youtube University have saved me so much money, time, and aggravation. With the help of the videos, I've replaced parts and fixed my fridge, washer, dryer, deck, cars, and bunch of other things. Youtube is probably the most useful resource on the internet. You can learn how to do anything from Youtube.

My only fault with Youtube car-fixing are things where it's not easily diagnosed. AC is actually one of them for me.

When the AC starts to suck - it means one thing... the coolant (freon, whatever you want to call it) has been leaking. But WHERE is it leaking? At the radiator? Random pipes? condenser? Fuck if I know.

Today for me with replacing my battery, I actually am always skeptical and asked myself... wait, is it the battery - or is it the alternator not recharging it? So I looked up a Youtube video real quick - and they went through diagnosis with a multimeter where it said "When the car is off the battery should be at or around 12.5. When you start up the vehicle, it should drop, but NOT below 10. When the car is started and running, it should be OVER the original 12.5 - because the alternator is giving it addition juice". Sure enough, that held true.

Nov 8, 2012
Well, i can do the super easy stuff like that but a lot of things under warranty i wouldn't do myself even if i didn't have the warranty.

The dealership were i've bought my last 2 cars has pretty reasonable prices for things. Need new tires, they're the same price as a tire shop. Need some body work done, fight in line with other body shops
I even let them do my oil changes anymore. It's only slightly more than doing it myself & i don't have to bother getting rid of the used oil.

Absolutely.

Believe me, I only replace certain things - the rest I leave to the pros.
Serpentine belt? Sure
Starter plugs? Sure
AC Filter + Engine Filter? Sure

Oil + filter change? I can do it, but why? Jacking the car up and getting under + hand unscrewing shit isn't worth it.
I had to replace my starter - but it required taking out the manifold and other items... fuck that. I bought the part and had a local place do the work.
Tires? Discount tire is rock-solid in reliability, might as well have them do that stuff.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Given the spike of prices in cars right now... specifically used cars... I would only potentially buy a new car, but ideally just hold off for a good year or 2 lol.

I need to replace my Acura/Honda at some point, but it keeps running fine, so another battery after 4 years is perfectly good investment over buying a new/used one.

(Especially since I work from home - albeit, I still do travel for work occasionally, so it does scare me into thinking I'm going to break down at some point).
I had three engines replaced on my Forester this year (luckily all under warranty). Finally the last time I made them give me a new long block from the factory, as opposed to the "reman'ed" short blocks.

Anyways while the car was in the shop (for 7 weeks!) we started looking at new cars. Didn't take me long to decide I just really wanted my Forester to be fixed and keep it long term. I would only but a car right now if I absolutely had to.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
My only fault with Youtube car-fixing are things where it's not easily diagnosed. AC is actually one of them for me.

When the AC starts to suck - it means one thing... the coolant (freon, whatever you want to call it) has been leaking. But WHERE is it leaking? At the radiator? Random pipes? condenser? Fuck if I know.

Today for me with replacing my battery, I actually am always skeptical and asked myself... wait, is it the battery - or is it the alternator not recharging it? So I looked up a Youtube video real quick - and they went through diagnosis with a multimeter where it said "When the car is off the battery should be at or around 12.5. When you start up the vehicle, it should drop, but NOT below 10. When the car is started and running, it should be OVER the original 12.5 - because the alternator is giving it addition juice". Sure enough, that held true.

your alternator should be putting out 13.5-14 volts.

Nov 8, 2012
I had three engines replaced on my Forester this year (luckily all under warranty). Finally the last time I made them give me a new long block from the factory, as opposed to the "reman'ed" short blocks.

Anyways while the car was in the shop (for 7 weeks!) we started looking at new cars. Didn't take me long to decide I just really wanted my Forester to be fixed and keep it long term. I would only but a car right now if I absolutely had to.

Not trying to be offensive - but if you want a long-term investment in a vehicle.... Go with Japanese. Hands down. Nothing beats it. Nothing is better. Seriously - go look at resell rates by brand if you don't believe me.. There is the whole saying of "once you drive it off the lot you lose 20% value"... Not so much with Japanese.

That means Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus - my understanding is Hyundai is also up there too, but I've never had one to fully commit.

My first 3 vehicles:
1) Toyota Tacoma truck - ran strong, no issues other than what I caused
2) Acura TSX (Running today)
3) Toyota RAV4 Prime

I've never had a "In the shop" for anything that wasn't my fault.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Not trying to be offensive - but if you want a long-term investment in a vehicle.... Go with Japanese. Hands down. Nothing beats it. Nothing is better. Seriously - go look at resell rates by brand if you don't believe me.. There is the whole saying of "once you drive it off the lot you lose 20% value"... Not so much with Japanese.

That means Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus - my understanding is Hyundai is also up there too, but I've never had one to fully commit.

My first 3 vehicles:
1) Toyota Tacoma truck - ran strong, no issues other than what I caused
2) Acura TSX (Running today)
3) Toyota RAV4 Prime
A Forester is Subaru, built in Japan.

They had a couple years of bad piston rings a some burned a lot of oil. Mine was always borderline, but decided to get it tested at 93K miles. It slightly failed the oil burn and got the short block replaced. I wouldn't have done it if I knew they were going to use a rebuilt short block, but they did. It had rod bearing fail after 1500 miles. Replaced again, plus a ton of other stuff that metal in it, that short block last 750 miles, same thing.

I called, bitched, told them I wanted everything that touches oil to be replaced factory new. They agreed. So I got a brand new long block at 103K miles, seems good so far.

The rebuild shop was a third party in Dallas and obviously has shit quality.

Reactions: Pohemi
Nov 8, 2012
A Forester is Subaru, built in Japan.

They had a couple years of bad piston rings a some burned a lot of oil. Mine was always borderline, but decided to get it tested at 93K miles. It slightly failed the oil burn and got the short block replaced. I wouldn't have done it if I knew they were going to use a rebuilt short block, but they did. It had rod bearing fail after 1500 miles. Replaced again, plus a ton of other stuff that metal in it, that short block last 750 miles, same thing.

I called, bitched, told them I wanted everything that touches oil to be replaced factory new. They agreed. So I got a brand new long block at 103K miles, seems good so far.

The rebuild shop was a third party in Dallas and obviously has shit quality.

I don't know why but when I hear "forester" I just hear "Jeep Forester" heh. Yeah, fair enough, I've heard decent things out of Subaru too. No idea if they are at the level of Honda/Toyota, but regardless I'd still trust it a million times over Ford/GM/Chrysler.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006

air filter is about as complicated as i get with working on my car. but the last time i did it, i dropped a filter clip down into the engine and it took me almost an hour to find where it was and fish it out
321gk9f.png

my problem is that if i take something apart, within a few minutes i can't remember how it goes back together. my memory was always like that but after the procedure it got WAY worse!

i used to change the oil too back when i didn't have much money, but now i take it and have someone else do it. with the high cost of 0-weighted oil it's only a few bucks more to have them do it anyway.

Nov 8, 2012
air filter is about as complicated as i get with working on my car. but the last time i did it, i dropped a filter clip down into the engine and it took me almost an hour to find where it was and fish it out
321gk9f.png

my problem is that if i take something apart, within a few minutes i can't remember how it goes back together. my memory was always like that but after the procedure it got WAY worse!

i used to change the oil too back when i didn't have much money, but now i take it and have someone else do it. with the high cost of 0-weighted oil it's only a few bucks more to have them do it anyway.

Christ you sound just like me.

I tell myself "I should take some pictures so I remember how this goes back".....

Eh... don't have my phone on me, fuck it.

• Haha
Reactions: brianmanahan

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Christ you sound just like me.

I tell myself "I should take some pictures so I remember how this goes back".....

that's a side effect the docs don't take about a lot... but then again, my memory seemed to be getting bad even in my teens.

my grandpa's spatial memory was still better than mine when he was 80 and i was 30!

luckily my abstract memory still seems to be fine. but i've been saving like crazy so i can retire early, in case that memory craps out on me too.

Nov 8, 2012
that's a side effect the docs don't take about a lot... but then again, my memory seemed to be getting bad even in my teens.

my grandpa's spatial memory was still better than mine when he was 80 and i was 30!

luckily my abstract memory still seems to be fine. but i've been saving like crazy so i can retire early, in case that memory craps out on me too.

Trudat. At this point, I don't know what to attribute to my surgery/med.

After surgery I went a bit nuts and for some odd reason... wanted to return back to work. I could have just taken more time off but I was starting to go stir crazy at home.

Ended up going back - couldn't remember the names of anyone I worked with for the last 3 years. Was definitely a weird experience. I had the memory of knowing that person and their image and going "Oh yeah that's.... uhhh... yeah, the one woman...." but coudd never connect the name. Overall that seems to have dissipated overall, but I ensure that I use it as an excuse anytime I can't remember someone's name heh.

It's also tough with a wife, because women want to tell... stories... a lot of times... and my brain just consistently says "Useless information. Discard". Not sure if it's a women thing or a wife thing, but summarization is definitely a rare commodity, so there's plenty of times that I "don't remember" /wink wink.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I don't know why but when I hear "forester" I just hear "Jeep Forester" heh. Yeah, fair enough, I've heard decent things out of Subaru too. No idea if they are at the level of Honda/Toyota, but regardless I'd still trust it a million times over Ford/GM/Chrysler.
I've had 4 Subarus, never had an issue like this before. Put about 500,000 miles totals on the four. Really just a few cheap and easy repairs I've done myself.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004

I get those calls, but when I tell them the car has a quarter of a million miles on it, and is 21 years old, they hang up on me.