Welcome to Windows Media Personal License Migration Service

GeminiZi

Oct 25, 2002
How come all of a sudden, internet explorer opens 15 windows of this message? This is a brand new dimension 4550 that I just got 3 weeks ago. The only changes that I've done to this system is that I took out the original hard drive, and put in my own hard drive. However I did use the dell restore cd to install xp into the new drive. What does this message mean? Should i ignore this or click the Migrate License button?
Text

Welcome to Windows Media Personal License Migration Service.

You have reached this page because you are attempting to do one of the following with content that was copied from CDs:

Restore the content on a computer or operating system that has been upgraded, or
Use existing content on another one of your computers.

PLEASE NOTE:
If you re-install an operating system or install a completely new operating system on a computer on which you have previously maintained licenses, that computer will appear to be a new, unique computer to this service when you migrate licenses. However, upgrading the operating system will not change the identity of the computer as far as this process is concerned.

Any unauthorized use of the content may be a violation of the law, including U.S. and international copyright laws, and may subject you to civil and criminal prosecution.

If you wish to read our policy page, click the link above. If you want to migrate licenses now, click the Migrate License button. Otherwise, click Cancel.

Joker81

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2000
Alot of the Factory Restores will not allow you to reinstall onto a different computer. Although Since you did get it to install I don't think this is the case. Since You do Own the computer and all other things. You are not abusing the content I don;t think.Since you own.
Did you files one the new drive you installed. Or was it a totally fresh install with a format of the drive. I would just migrate since you do own everything.

GeminiZi

Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Joker81
Alot of the Factory Restores will not allow you to reinstall onto a different computer. Although Since you did get it to install I don't think this is the case. Since You do Own the computer and all other things. You are not abusing the content I don;t think.Since you own.
Did you files one the new drive you installed. Or was it a totally fresh install with a format of the drive. I would just migrate since you do own everything.

So this is definitely an OS license problem? But I didn't reinstall onto a different computer though. I did a fresh install with a format on my own hard drive.

bozo1

Diamond Member
May 21, 2001
Read all about it.

Briefly:

If you copy music from CD using Windows Media Player 7 or 7.1 with the "Enable Personal Rights Management" check box selected, or Windows Media Player for Windows XP with the "Protect content" check box selected, or Windows Media Player 9 Series with the "Copy protect music" check box selected, a personal license for the music is created on your PC.

Sounds like you (or whomever), used WMP to rip CD's and had one of those options checked at the time.

GeminiZi

Oct 25, 2002
If you copy music from CD using Windows Media Player 7 or 7.1 with the "Enable Personal Rights Management" check box selected, or Windows Media Player for Windows XP with the "Protect content" check box selected, or Windows Media Player 9 Series with the "Copy protect music" check box selected, a personal license for the music is created on your PC.

Sounds like you (or whomever), used WMP to rip CD's and had one of those options checked at the time.[/quote]

I have Windows Media Player for Windows XP, the checkbox for "Protect content" is checked by default. Should I uncheck this checkbox? This is my computer and only I use it. I did not rip any cds at all, but I have downloaded music and movies online and played it on Windows Media Player.