Welcome to the Distributed Computing Forum ... say Hello

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skivelitis2

Jan 1, 2021
I see Smoke is a Distributed Computing Elite Member. What does it take to achieve that status? If it's hardware from this century or a knowledge base that consists of more than just being able to find the power button on my rigs I guess I'm out.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Look what showed up in my email today!

You're the Rosetta@home user of the day!
Inbox

default-user=s80-p

BOINC user boinc@boinc.bakerlab.org via ipd.uw.edu
Jan 30, 2023, 10:25 PM (9 hours ago)

Congratulations!

You've been chosen as the Rosetta@home user of the day!

Your profile will be featured on the Rosetta@home website for the next 24 hours.

I really should change my picture ... that was 23 years ago.

That photo was taken when at age 60 I made 1st String All-American NSSA (Skeet). Due to my bad back I had to "hang up the cleats" if you know what I mean.

That's when I showed up here.

My greeters were WIZ and ASSIMILATOR1 who are still and always my very best close friends. I still count my times here at the very top of my life memories.

Thanks to all of you (too many to list) for allowing me to part of your number.
Hey Greg! Great to see ya! :)

Btw, what happened to that voice chat we were going to do? I can't remember what we said in our sporadic emails, lol.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
(For some reason the forum wouldn't let me insert this into my above post!)

I see Smoke is a Distributed Computing Elite Member. What does it take to achieve that status? If it's hardware from this century or a knowledge base that consists of more than just being able to find the power button on my rigs I guess I'm out.
He was originally 'Distributed Computing Moderator', after he retired from being a mod, I guess they just edited his title?
Smoke used to be a massive part of TA for many years, I'm pretty sure he was an Elite member (for DC) long before he was a mod.
I got my Elite member status (many years ago) for my contribution to TA (not for points though, most of the time I run DC it's only on 1 rig, and it's has been that way for 2 decades).

Reactions: serialb

serialb

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
(For some reason the forum wouldn't let me insert this into my above post!)

He was originally 'Distributed Computing Moderator', after he retired from being a mod, I guess they just edited his title?
Smoke used to be a massive part of TA for many years, I'm pretty sure he was an Elite member (for DC) long before he was a mod.
I got my Elite member status (many years ago) for my contribution to TA (not for points though, most of the time I run DC it's only on 1 rig, and it's has been that way for 2 decades).

This place is a real Time Machine.
Memory of a 45-year old snapped right back to the college days.
So nice to hear from you all again.

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Welcome to the TeAm.
We are a fairly well-behaved bunch here. Always willing to help should problems arise.
Sit back, relax and let your machine(s) crunch away or join the mayhem of races. Either way, glad to have you with us.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
I just started folding for Team 198. I started with f@h back in 2004 but it is time to leave my old team behind.
Currently, I have a couple of RTX 4060s and a 14600k crunching away. I plan on adding a 4090 next month.
Welcome aboard! Our big team Folding@Home race runs during Jan and just finished, but we've got stuff going on here and there all year long if you're open to running Boinc (especially in May for the pent, which I've really enjoyed).

Oneto

Apr 2, 2017
I'll have to see what I can put together to run some BOINC stuff. I have a couple of older Xeons doing nothing right now. Depends on how loud the server gets though as it's currently in my bedroom. I need to move it to its forever home out in the barn apartment I guess.

Oneto

Apr 2, 2017
I started the server on primegrid for PrimeGrid Tour de Primes. No noticeable increase in noise level so thats good.
Just to make sure I did it right, 1 install BOINC client, 2 sign up, 3 join TAAT team, 4 crunch away

It seems to be working. Is there anything I need to do other than that? I haven't used BOINC much.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
For Tour de Primes, there may be some configuration to do on the PrimeGrid site as far as having the server give you the right tasks, but I don't know much about TdP, I'm sure another member will chime in soon. I just wanted to post to say welcome to the TeAm, good to have you!

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
I think if you choose PPSE as your CPU project and GFN16 as your GPU project you'll increase your chances of finding primes by a good bit. You just wouldn't have a chance at getting the mega prime badge/T-shirt or whatever it is.

Oneto

Apr 2, 2017
I think if you choose PPSE as your CPU project and GFN16 as your GPU project you'll increase your chances of finding primes by a good bit. You just wouldn't have a chance at getting the mega prime badge/T-shirt or whatever it is.
I made those changes. We will see what happens

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I made those changes. We will see what happens
Hi, I found your computers. There's something off about your RTX 4060. It should not be slower than my 1060 3GB. (Unless you're already running 2 or more at a time with an app_config.xml) Are you doing something graphically intensive with Windows 11?

Also, I think you're supposed to limit the number of cores running to the number of real cores you have, excluding hyper-threads. But I don't know much about these new Intel chips with big and little cores.

Oneto

Apr 2, 2017
Hi, I found your computers. There's something off about your RTX 4060. It should not be slower than my 1060 3GB. (Unless you're already running 2 or more at a time with an app_config.xml) Are you doing something graphically intensive with Windows 11?

Also, I think you're supposed to limit the number of cores running to the number of real cores you have, excluding hyper-threads. But I don't know much about these new Intel chips with big and little cores.
Yeah, the GPU is sharing time with folding@home so I expect it to be low there. I'll look at the cores being used this evening. Thanks for the input.

damric

Jan 24, 2012
Hello. I'd like to invite the TAAT crunchers to our second annual folding@home challenge at EXTREMEHW starting on February 23rd at 00:00 UTC.

There's some vendor sponsored prizes and some in-house prizes to win. Top 3 winners get fist picks of prizes then the rest are random draw so that the folding newbies can have a chance.

The rules are simple: register at EHW and post in the contest thread. Fold during the 96 hours using the team ID 239902 (change it back to TAAT when contest is over).

Hope to see some of you there, as last year was good fun.

Reactions: Oneto

damric

Jan 24, 2012
You would attract more attention making a thread just for the contest/challenge.
Will do. Just wanted to get some feelers out today since I don't really post here. I think I automatically got a membership here back when I was staff at THW. Your folding team got our attention during the [H]ardforum competition last month, and it just so happens that we're having ours this month so I wanted to send invite. I'll get a new thread prepared tomorrow.

Reactions: Assimilator1