Weird VRAM usage problem in BF3 (7970)

Peddeh

Jun 19, 2013
Ok, weird problem, I've no idea how to fix it.

I have this problem, where on my 7970, it's only using 500-600MB VRAM usage in BF3 (which is causing me to lose frames), the only way to fix it is by deleting the files at Documents > BF3 > Settings (which after doing so, VRAM will shoot up to 1.5GB+). However, that only works temporarily, as soon as I exit the game, go into another server, the problem is back until I delete those files again. I really don't get it, it has me stumped! :( The problem only started early yesterday, though it could of been going on longer without me noticing, it was only through noticing I was lacking frames that forced me to monitor the memory usage. The only thing I changed on my machine before then, was the CPU voltage (decrease)

Another forum suggested that investigate my card PCB for any damage, and so I dismantled it and investigated it the best I could, whilst taking pictures. The conclusion was that there was no damage, everything looked how it should be (the pictures in question: http://imgur.com/a/zdDtR#0). The people at that forum can no longer help me :( so now I bring my problem here (hence why it's my first post).

What I've tried so far (to no avail)
  • Complete re-install of Windows and of BF3
  • Cleaned out the drivers and re-installed them (even tried older drivers)
  • Disabled overclock on CPU (that's all I had OC'd)
  • Installed the latest BIOS
  • Tried posting in the Battlelog Tech Support forum, but post didn't receive a reply and is now buried
  • Disabled cloud storage in Origin

Full system specification
i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz
8GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz XMP Profile (Kingston HyperX Beast)
MSI MPower Z77 Motherboard
Corsair TX750M PSU
240GB SSD + some more hard-drive storage

Last edited:

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Do you have another card to test? Even if the card does not show physical damage on the outside, it doesn't mean that it's not damaged.

It doesn't even have to be the same brand. If you try another card and everything works as it should, it's probably safe to assume that the fault laid with your 7970.

I've never heard of a problem like this before.....ever.

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
Really strange. Are you sure you are losing FPS? Maybe do a quick FRAPS check before and after. It may be using less VRAM and still getting the same FPS.

nanaki333

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2002
What driver version are you using?

this is what i'm wondering. i had a lot of issues with anything over 12.4 on my wife's 7970 card (my 7970 xfire when i had them too). nothing like you're describing, but you could always try rolling back a driver.

Peddeh

Jun 19, 2013
Sorry for the delayed response. I stopped checking this forum for a while as I thought my thread was just going to get buried

@Carfax83: I don't, unfortunately :(

@Stuka87: 13.4, which I believe is the latest
"Cleaned out the drivers and re-installed them (even tried older drivers)"

@sushiwarrior: Yep, this is how I know.

@nurturedhate: 1920x1080, High Preset

@nanaki333: As stated in my OP: "Cleaned out the drivers and re-installed them (even tried older drivers)"

Also, I don't know if it counts for anything, but I was just playing Skyrim for the past 2hours, and that games takes up 1.5GB on average of my vram, though I've seen it peak at 1.9GB. This is without any mods, except the HD texture pack. Not sure if this is right for Skyrim.

I'm not 100% convinced there is damage to the card, like I stated in my OP, I can actually fix it, but only temporarily

"the only way to fix it is by deleting the files at Documents > BF3 > Settings (which after doing so, VRAM will shoot up to 1.5GB+). However, that only works temporarily, as soon as I exit the game, go into another server, the problem is back until I delete those files again."

Last edited:

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
This feels like a hardware problem of some kind. You can't go through that much trouble shooting (without switching cards) and come up empty handed.

One other thing you could try is to put the card in another pci-e slot. Also make sure EVERYTHING is connected properly, including and especially the power cables to the card.

Also make sure driver settings are on default, just to make certain it's not a settings issue.

Peddeh

Jun 19, 2013
That's another thing I forgot to add to my list. I already tried that, in every PCI-E slot, to no avail. Driver settings are all at default in the Catalyst Control Center, have never really touched any of the settings.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
I doubt it, it might be that way from the factory. Plus it looks long enough to still make contact.

It doesn't make sense that if you delete the settings file it fixes it until you switch servers.

If there was a physical problem with your card than deleting the settings wouldn't do anything.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Are you talking about the gold contacts? It looks pretty normal to me, although I don't have a 7970.

Still though, I think there's a 90% chance that your card is defective at this point. I think you should just buy another one (new or used), plug it in and if everything works as it's supposed to, then you know your old card was bad and you can RMA it if it's still under warranty and then return the new one for a refund...or keep it and go crossfire.

Peddeh

Jun 19, 2013
I agree with Balla, it doesn't make sense. Plus, I don't seem to have any other problem with any other games, particularly Skyrim, which is peaking 1.9GB usage (with only HD texture DLC). Though, I'm not 100% sure if this is just about right. I don't know what to do at the moment, though I think I'll save for a Titan or 780 (more than likely a 780 at this stage as I don't need the 6GB), I think this will be my first and last card from AMD. I'll look into RMA though, not sure if my warranty is still valid, but it won't hurt to enquire. I think what really concerns me about all of this, is if I picked up another 7970 (or possibly a card from NVDIA), chuck it in my machine, and still have the same problem in BF3 even after going to the extent of re-installing Windows 7 (as I have done).

Last edited:

Peddeh

Jun 19, 2013
Why don't you try Ultra preset, minus deferred AA. The 7970 should be more than capable to handle that at 1080P with a solid 60fps.

Have tried. I joined an empty server with a friend with the exact same card (same model, BIOS version, you name it etc), loaded up the same preset, his was hitting 1.5GB easily (before anyone asks, yes, same monitoring software, MSI Afterburner - yes I've tried other monitoring utilities, which all report the same value in BF3), mine was comfortably sat at nothing more than 600MB. Temperatures are nothing out of the ordinary, in fact, it's improved since I applied my own Arctic Silver 5, never hit 70c after a 2hour session in Skyrim.

Last edited:

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Have tried. I joined an empty server with a friend with the exact same card (same model, BIOS version, you name it etc), loaded up the same preset, his was hitting 1.5GB easily (before anyone asks, yes, same monitoring software, MSI Afterburner - yes I've tried other monitoring utilities, which all report the same value in BF3), mine was comfortably sat at nothing more than 600MB. Temperatures are nothing out of the ordinary, in fact, it's improved since I applied my own Arctic Silver 5, never hit 70c after a 2hour session in Skyrim.

From what I know, Arctic Silver 5 is an electricity conductor. If some of it has been misplaced, it could be short circuiting stuff. Maybe you should try replacing it with some ceramique paste instead, after cleaning it properly?

Peddeh

Jun 19, 2013
I only replaced it (the factory applied paste) with Silver 5 after I removed the heatsink to take pictures for another forum (after they suggested it could be possible VRAM damage, so I investigated). Therefor, the problem was still persistent before Silver 5 was applied. Nothing has changed since applying it, other than lowering the temps a little. I'm aware it's conductive, which is why I was very careful when applying and made sure to apply only a little to avoid it spreading too much.

Last edited:

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
OK.

Have you tried installing the card on the second PCIe 16X slot?

Also have you tried disabling Virtu MVP?

Last edited:

Peddeh

Jun 19, 2013
Tried in all PCI-E 16X slots, yes.

Don't even know if I have it enabled, how would I check?

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
I don't have a Virtu MVP mobo so I don't really know. Better check your manual.

If you have your monitor connected directly to the graphics card, I think that MVP does not come into play, but I am not sure.

Peddeh

Jun 19, 2013
You're right, it's disabled when you directly connect your monitor up to the GPU, which I have done.

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)