Weird Sound Card Problem (distortion)

wfbberzerker

Lifer
Apr 12, 2001
sometimes when i use winamp (it also occurs when i use half-life occasionally), every other time i play a new song, it will come out of the right channel very distorted. (here is a sample of it... i used the "what-U-hear" function on creative's recorder, so im assuming its a sound card problem - every time the sound changes, thats me restarting the song) any clues as to whats going on? i just did a fresh install of windows 2000, i have the latest drivers and service pack. do i need a new sound card, or new speakers, or what?

P.S. - would just picking up a new sound card solve this? i was thinking of replacing it anyways.

EDIT: click on link in signature for computer specs, but i have a sound blaster live! value.

farmercal

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
While that really sounds like something is messed up there. I am not quite sure with your problem is but the is it possible for you to borrow a sound card from a friend then see the problem goes away just a thought. That would at least save you the expense of buying a sound card for nothing.

Viper96720

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2002
Try switching your speakers around see if the right one still is distorted. Then it's the sound card. If the left one gets distorted formerly the right one then its the speaker.