Weird realization - are conservatives just better at logistics?

Mar 15, 2003
So after my 3rd "progressive" choice in a home remodeling project blows up in my face (Lowes has no idea where $6,000 worth of appliances is which is causing a domino effect of delays while the last time evil conservative bigot Home Depot missed a scheduled delivery they immediately made it right by refunding the whole purchase because I had to miss a day of work) I had the troubling realization - "the racist old american floor guy and uber conservative italian counter guys i've worked with have been friggin' spectacular, the 'lead with your heart' decissions have been cluster fuck after cluster fuck. Now I do my research, I background check /google stalk EVERYONE but nearly every time I'm made the "progressive" hiring decision I've regretted it...Logistics, sticking to a budget and timeline, attention to detail - by and large, one group (not race, the old school racist arab bathroom remodel - superb!) sticks to targets the other doesn't.. Is this why the founder fathers were racist? They had a better filing system? If this doesn't make any sense i've been around a lot of fumes

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2003
I'm not sure what a "progressive" choice of contractor is.

I guess I'm chattier than most, the shit that's said's during an install and interview's revealing. last conversation with tub refinisher, when playing video games with your latin kings weed dealer, just let them win.. I know my point is obtuse, I've met A LOT of people in the past month (renovating 2 apartments for my dad) and there are commonalities between viewpoints and skillsets. My wife i think got to the heart of it "one group respects the old and hard way of doing things, the other's always looking to 'hack' and find a better way or shortcut, which blows up in their faces more often than not"

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I guess that it kinda makes sense... the "progressive" contractor is going to be too busy at the moment going to BLM rallies and yelling at everyone on Facebook to wear a mask to focus on your project.

I'm trying to avoid talking about politics on ATOT, though, mostly because the moderators punish us by sending the topic to the wastelands of the P&N forum. I'm still trying to get the stench off of me from the last time one of my posts went there :)

You failed regarding not talking about politics in ATOT and you failed by continuing to talk about moderator actions outside of Moderator Discussions. Please do better.

admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: highland145

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Your wife sounds smart. You should let her handle the rehabs ;^)

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I don't think I've ever divined the political leanings of my contractors unless they go out of their way to let me know. Ironically usually the best ones are the lazy hippy looking dudes who probably had a blunt for breakfast as long as they have a competent back office keeping them on track.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
all the construction guys i know, except for one, say that covid is fake.

so even though the state called for non-essential work to stop, they kept on working right through it and make fun of people who wear masks.

i guess that made them more productive over the past few months.

the guy who actually took it seriously still had to go to work, so he slept in his car for a few weeks so he wouldn't get his immune-comprimised dad sick.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
So after my 3rd "progressive" choice in a home remodeling project blows up in my face (Lowes has no idea where $6,000 worth of appliances is which is causing a domino effect of delays while the last time evil conservative bigot Home Depot missed a scheduled delivery they immediately made it right by refunding the whole purchase because I had to miss a day of work) I had the troubling realization - "the racist old american floor guy and uber conservative italian counter guys i've worked with have been friggin' spectacular, the 'lead with your heart' decissions have been cluster fuck after cluster fuck. Now I do my research, I background check /google stalk EVERYONE but nearly every time I'm made the "progressive" hiring decision I've regretted it...Logistics, sticking to a budget and timeline, attention to detail - by and large, one group (not race, the old school racist arab bathroom remodel - superb!) sticks to targets the other doesn't.. Is this why the founder fathers were racist? They had a better filing system? If this doesn't make any sense i've been around a lot of fumes
Just when I thought you had plumbed the depths of stupid posts, you go and do this.

BTW, your last sentence saves the post. :p

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Just when I thought you had plumbed the depths of stupid posts, you go and do this.

e3nTyK6.gif

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
There are plenty of examples of good and bad on both sides. Are you comparing older and younger tradesmen?

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
As I seem to remember you previously expressing understandable concerns over stereotyping, it surprises me that in this case you are looking for affirmation for a "progressive" (whatever you mean by that) craftsmen stereotype. Are you sure it isn't their eye color that is the difference? 😞

Mar 15, 2003
As I seem to remember you previously expressing understandable concerns over stereotyping, it surprises me that in this case you are looking for affirmation for a "progressive" (whatever you mean by that) craftsmen stereotype. Are you sure it isn't their eye color that is the difference? 😞

Oh, I'm indian - we live in and with stereotypes as a valid form of pre-cognition, though I am trying to unlearn quite a bit and know it's not a good thing. But noticing things is something I can't not do, and there's just a weird lack of organizational skills I'm seeing with skillset and organizational skills across levels of "enlightenment" (and being liberal myself I find it curious). Basically, Ron Swansons type are proving to live up to the stereotype