Weird incident with Albion Online and my debit card

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
So yesterday I had heard about a game called Albion Online and went to their site to check it out.
I just got a fraud alert email from my bank stating that there was a charge for $99.95 to Albion Online.

I didn't click any order stuff, never got any email from them, etc.

Seems more than a coincidence.

Now I have to get a new card.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Did you use an automatic login through Facebook, Twitter, etc.?

What do you have your debit card linked to online?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
could the email be a fake?

try calling your bank and double check the fraud alert.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
There was no login.

So you never clicked a Facebook or Twitter or x icon? Did you get to the site by clicking an ad on Facebook?

What do you mean linked to?

Set up as the payment method for a service like PayPal or Apple Pay, or a vendor like Amazon that processes payments for others.

I never use a debit card for online purchases, only credit cards. So my answer would be none, except that PayPal is linked to a checking account so like having my debit card stored with them.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
It couldn't have been me by accident I don't think because the charge shows up today, but I went to the site yesterday. Although it did say location was Berlin, so maybe it was 7/20 in Berlin when it happened. Don't remember the exact time I was at the site.
I never got like an order confirmation email either

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
A few sites but all reputable, like Amazon.

You might want to switch to using a credit card instead, the fraud protection is stronger and you don't lose access to your checking account when things like this happen.

Also, see edits to my earlier response above. Did you click any Facebook type icon anywhere on their site, or get to Albion using a link from Fb or Twitter? If you never logged in, they have to have gotten your info somehow and you might want to report them to FB, twitter, etc. for their fraud. (If there's any way to do that....)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
You might want to switch to using a credit card instead, the fraud protection is stronger and you don't lose access to your checking account when things like this happen.

Also, see edits to my earlier response above. Did you click any Facebook type icon anywhere on their site, or get to Albion using a link from Fb or Twitter? If you never logged in, they have to have gotten your info somehow and you might want to report them to FB, twitter, etc. for their fraud. (If there's any way to do that....)
Pretty sure I went via Google search.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
could somebody have hacked your credentials and made a charge that way?

this whole thing seems very odd. How does just visiting a site cause a charge to a debt card?

what was the purchase date of the transaction?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
could somebody have hacked your credentials and made a charge that way?

this whole thing seems very odd. How does just visiting a site cause a charge to a debt card?

what was the purchase date of the transaction?
Purchase date is today. Visited site yesterday. I don't get how it happened. I can't explain it.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Purchase date is today. Visited site yesterday. I don't get how it happened. I can't explain it.
how secure is your computer? perhaps you have been compromised? maybe your browser?

was there anything odd about the website? perhaps an ad was infected?

I am running out of ideas.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
how secure is your computer? perhaps you have been compromised? maybe your browser?

was there anything odd about the website? perhaps an ad was infected?

I am running out of ideas.

Pretty sure I went via Google search.

If the Albion publisher isn't the scammer, it might be a referral scam, where some sleazy company gets a comission on the $100 sale. Perhaps the Google link was to a third-party site that did some kind of infection then redirect.

Or maybe it is Albion and they're somehow auto-approving an Amazon payment or Paypal or something using a hidden window or other exploit.

You might want to check your browser for add-ons / extensions / plugins.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
IMO just issue a chargeback/fraud complaint. You clearly didn't initiate the order, which means either a) you were scammed, or b) the company accepted your order without sufficient evidence it was you placing the order. Either way, let the bank's lawyers fight over it, that's what they get paid for.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
maybe this thread should have been posted in the Security sub-forum?

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
maybe this thread should have been posted in the Security sub-forum?
if the point of the thread is a warning to potential victims, then leaving it in gaming will let it reach the intended people before the fact rather than after when they are already compromised.

either way, it is a lesson on not keeping financial information on your browser.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
If you do banking online, do you automatically log in or do you log in via typing password? I don't see how this would happen though.

And as others said, stick to credit card or Paypal, much safer. Debit is a good way to have your money completely drained if it falls into the wrong hands.