Question Weird ethernet test result after new rj45 connector

JasonLowther

Dec 17, 2020
Hi
I am replacing the rj45 connector on the end of a 100m ethernet cable. Every time I test the cable the tester gives a steady light number 1 and 5, and no other lights. I've even tried wiring into a socket and the same result. Any ideas / solutions welcomed! THANKYOU

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Replace it again,
or
perhaps whatever issue you were trying to solve with replacing the connector isn't from the connector. You did state it's a 100m VERY long cable.

Things happen.

Last edited:

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, you could easily have a break somewhere. Most likely places are near the end pieces especially if it had a sharp turn/bend in it. It is also possible that the endpiece is installed incorrectly. This is one of the reasons why I don't tell people to just make their own cables anymore, especially if you are trying for gigabit or higher speeds. It is simply too easy to have something not 100% correct which causes problems.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Also, there are some cable testers out there that can estimate the location of the break. I believe the function is typically called "TDR" (Time Domain Reflectometer). But most of these are going to cost you a couple hundred if not thousand dollars (fine if you are doing this for a living running wires at companies and homes as a contractor, but pretty expensive investment for a DIYer).

Reactions: JasonLowther

JasonLowther

Dec 17, 2020