Weird Credit/ID Theft Issue and Question

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Question for some of you gents.

The credit card company called us because of $2000-$3000 of weird purchases that showed up on our card, stuff like hammocks, e-cigs, organic holistic pet food. o_O

The credit card company cancelled the card and dropped the charges. But now we are starting to get some of the packages.

I'm trying to figure out how they have our address & credit card.
(both my wife and I got hit in the OPM hack but OPM wouldn't have our credit card)

Also why would they ship some of these things to us?o_O

As of right now I'm thinking teen hackers screwing around

Updates at the bottom!

Last edited:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
"Hey, we're so totally going to hack you, we're going to buy a bunch of stuff with your credit card. You and your creditors will no doubt recognize the unauthorized purchases and declare fraud. But because we're actually quite nice, you're still going to get everything delivered to your house!
Happy hacks!"

:awe:

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
This way the CC company will go after you for false claim.

Enjoy fpmitap.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
"Hey, we're so totally going to hack you, we're going to buy a bunch of stuff with your credit card. You and your creditors will no doubt recognize the unauthorized purchases and declare fraud. But because we're actually quite nice, you're still going to get everything delivered to your house!
Happy hacks!"

:awe:

I know. Makes no sense!

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
This way the CC company will go after you for false claim.

Enjoy fpmitap.

lawrence-office-space.jpg

I'll watch my corn hole. ;)

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Every website I have ordered on through a CC require the addresses attached to the card. Kids forget to enter their address for delivery?

Oh well. I suppose when you are involved in something like that, it's difficult to take your time and get it right.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
If someone has your CC# it'is probably not hard to get your address too as a credit card usually has an address associated with it.

To make it not trigger fraud protection they probably opted to have it sent to your house in hopes the delivery person just leaves it at the door then they go pick it up. My guess is it's stuff that has a decent resale value and they'll probably use the money for drugs, then again they could have just done a cash back at an ATM with a replicated card.

Mar 11, 2004
That's weird. Sure your wife or you didn't go on some weird Ambien trance buying spree one night? Have any kids or someone else that might've decided to fuck with you and somehow got access to your card?

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
That's weird. Sure your wife or you didn't go on some weird Ambien trance buying spree one night? Have any kids or someone else that might've decided to fuck with you and somehow got access to your card?

My kids really aren't old enough to pull something like that. Plus the timing wouldn't work out. Neither my nor I are on drugs like that.

Can't think of anybody who's do something like this on purpose.

The fact that they had the credit card no and address makes me think some website we've used was hacked. The shipping things to us has a feeling of either a screw up or for the lulz.

Mar 11, 2004
My kids really aren't old enough to pull something like that. Plus the timing wouldn't work out. Neither my nor I are on drugs like that.

Can't think of anybody who's do something like this on purpose.

The fact that they had the credit card no and address makes me think some website we've used was hacked. The shipping things to us has a feeling of either a screw up or for the lulz.

Yeah. I almost wonder if its maybe a local place where someone got access to their database or something (that had both your card information and address) on file and maybe they thought they'd be able to snag the packages from your doorstep while you were at work or something.

But yeah probably just someone that got your info from some stolen database info and then did it for fun.

Dec 10, 2005
When my CC number was stolen a few years ago, they purchased some random supplements crap. Got some in the mail about a week later, which I promptly dropped back in a mailbox marked "return to sender" or tossed in the garbage. Perhaps some were just test purchases to see if the card worked, perhaps they are ordering stuff to your house just because...

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Update

To go with my e-cigs and hammock we now have a skateboard and something from Spy Optics possibly extreme sports sun glasses. (I'm not opening this stuff so I can send it back)

What will show up tomorrow!

WTF.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Today we received:
  • Wine
  • World Book Encyclopedias
  • Wysong Rational Holistic Scientific Pet Food

Hopefully that'll be it.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Today we received:
  • Wine
  • World Book Encyclopedias
  • Wysong Rational Holistic Scientific Pet Food

Hopefully that'll be it.

Question1: in this day and age, why do people want encyclopedias?

Question2: are you really shipping all this stuff back?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Can someone do this to my credit cards? I like free shit that I can call and get my money back on....

I suppose if you have a card that you know would be this cautious, and you bought something with said card that was REALLY odd for your history with said card, and you didn't discuss it on an online forum, then quite possibly, yes.

But good luck getting away with it on more than one occasion.

Nov 8, 2012
I suppose if you have a card that you know would be this cautious, and you bought something with said card that was REALLY odd for your history with said card, and you didn't discuss it on an online forum, then quite possibly, yes.

But good luck getting away with it on more than one occasion.
No man, I'm actually literally requesting. Will someone PM me and offer to do this for me??

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Question1: in this day and age, why do people want encyclopedias?

Question2: are you really shipping all this stuff back?
No idea who uses real encyclopedias. And more importantly How crunchy of a hippy do you have to be to buy holistic petfood.

And yes we intend to send it all back

Can someone do this to my credit cards? I like free shit that I can call and get my money back on....

Good luck with that. Although it's too bad they didn't send me a FuryX or some FPV drone parts.

If the vendor charges a restocking charge, who pays... the credit card company or you?

Discover said we send the stuff back with tracking and they'll reimburse the costs. Any charge backs won't work because they cancelled the original card.