Weird Control Issue in Video Games

CptFarlow

Apr 8, 2005
Hey guys, been a while since I've been on here, the site looks nice.

Anyways, I am really confused. I've searched all over online and couldn't really find anything on this. I was playing Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory a few weeks ago and had to stop because at one of the last levels, suddenly Sam would constantly walk left. I tried unplugging my keyboard/mouse, changing control schemes, and nothing worked, so I gave up.

I was bored tonight and decided to fire up Freespace 2, and it just so happens that it's doing the same thing here, too. It slowly pans left. I don't understand how it can do it even when I unplug the mouse/keyboard AND change the control schemes. I'm willing to bet it will do it with other games as well.

Anyways, any help would be great...and thanks ahead of time!

thegorx

Dec 10, 2003
are these wireless mouse and keyboard ?

then it's possible the reciever is having problems or if you have another computer close by then possibly cross talking of your wireless devices.

Also another thing comes to mind is a KVM switch can cause similar issues

of course it could be the keyboard or the mouse one can effect the other, also if these aren't usb devices you have to be carefull how you plug them in and unplug them, since they shouldn't be touched while the computer is running if they aren't usb.

that's all I can think of that might help

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Do you have an old gamepad that fell on the floor and is resting upside down? Sounds silly, but I actually had a friend who was complaining of the same problem in some games he was playing with mouse and keyboard. Turns out the controller was resting on the ground behind his desk with the control stick pegged to the side.

CptFarlow

Apr 8, 2005
Thanks guys. I have a wireless laser mouse, and a wired keyboard. Both using the PS/2 slots. I actually have a gamepad that is connected. It isn't on it's side, but it just might be causing the issue. I'll check back after I test this out.

CptFarlow

Apr 8, 2005
Yup, it was the game pad plugged in. I had forgotten that since I bought it, it always had a slight left touch to it, the piece of crap that it is...

Anyways, thanks a bunch guys.