Weird artifacts when playing games on RX 580

gx_saurav

Dec 5, 2012
about.me
Hello, have a look at the attached video. https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aszxh0ZtJc3snPwQAYIfGyMmkzitEQ

I just started playing Rage 2 and noticed these dots on my screen. I am using Sapphire Radeon RX 580 at default clock speed. Could this be signs of a faulty GPU which is in need of RMA? This was also happening on Shadow of the tomb raider at DirectX 12 mode.

All my drivers, BIOS etc are updated.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Really weird, but if I had to guess, since it doesn't seem to move with the scene, it makes me wonder if it's one of two things:

A) your monitor itself, have you tried trouble shooting the monitor (itself, cable, try a different one)?
B) it looks almost like an overlay, some games tend to have effects that are suppose to mimic you wearing headgear, so like static on edges, or objects obstructing the view as if the screen were dirty.

Usually when it is a rendering issue caused by the GPU, it normally tends to affect a portion of the screen being rendered, ie if a shadow the shadow would show issues and if you turn in the game the issues will remain with the shadow not dead center of the screen like it appears on your end.

Hope it isn't a faulty GPU, sucks to be out of a gaming rig when you have a new game.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think of it, that could be a VRAM issue, no? Since it seems to be affecting the end buffer, not the rendering. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable chimes in. I've had bad GPU core and bad GPU memory, and neither showed symptoms like this.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
First, do you have the latest drivers? This game did JUST come out, the current optional drivers are 19.5.1.

I would try setting graphics to bare minimum, and see if they go away.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Can't watch the video but from the screenshot it looks like stuck pixels on the monitor to me. The fact that Railven says it doesn't change scene to scene also suggests this.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Too late now, but did you ever try disabling HDCP? I didn't watch the video either but I recently was troubleshooting DVI "sparkles" on a rx 470 (it was a very mild effect most noticeable on static screens with large blocks of grey) and after quite a bit of research it was HDCP that was causing it.

gx_saurav

Dec 5, 2012
about.me
I never tried that. I should be able to keep my current RX 590 for another year I believe so not worried any more. Been playing games fine now.