Weights junkies: How did you decide what kind of weight/shape you wanted to be, and how do you just hold it?

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004

I've gone from ~67kg in late March when I joined the gym to just over 73kg so far, but I'm only 178cm tall (about 5'10.5" I think?), no fat to speak of, and I don't really want to end up 'bulky', 75-77kg seems like a good upper limit?

I guess I'd just cut my food intake back and slow/level off with weight increase?

/stupid questions :eek:

(I suspect I'm going to be told that 75-77 is normal for my height, and I'd have to get up to 85 or so to be considered even slightly 'bulky' ;))

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Weight gain/loss is entirely controlled by how many calories you consume over a long period of time. Want to maintain your weight? Eat a number of calories each day that is equal to your maintenance level, and you will not gain or lose a lb. The number of calories you need to eat to maintain your weight will vary widely from person to person, and will also depend on your activity level. Basically, it's something you have to determine by trial and error.

I suppose "bulky" is a subjective term. I know I will never in my lifetime be able to achieve a look that I would consider "huge" - my genetics just won't allow for it. However, I don't think anyone out there needs to worry about becoming too big, regardless of what "big" means to them.

You just don't gain muscle by accident.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Special K
Weight gain/loss is entirely controlled by how many calories you consume over a long period of time. Want to maintain your weight? Eat a number of calories each day that is equal to your maintenance level, and you will not gain or lose a lb. The number of calories you need to eat to maintain your weight will vary widely from person to person, and will also depend on your activity level. Basically, it's something you have to determine by trial and error.

I suppose "bulky" is a subjective term. I know I will never in my lifetime be able to achieve a look that I would consider "huge" - my genetics just won't allow for it. However, I don't think anyone out there needs to worry about becoming too big, regardless of what "big" means to them.

I guess I was more wondering if and how I should change my lifting routines to maintain my weight, strength, and 'build' :eek:

I'm well aware that one doesn't gain muscle by accident.

I was under the impression that by eating correctly, and working out correctly, pretty much anyone could get 'huge'?

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: dug777
Originally posted by: Special K

I guess I was more wondering if and how I should change my lifting routines to maintain my weight, strength, and 'build' :eek:

I'm well aware that one doesn't gain muscle by accident.

I was under the impression that by eating correctly, and working out correctly, pretty much anyone could get 'huge'?

Your "build" has a lot more to do with your diet than your routine. Changing your routine and leaving your diet the same probably isn't going to change much, unless you are stuck at a plateau and the changed routine helps you break out of that.

As to you second comment - it depends how you define "huge". Everyone has genetic limitations that will ultimately restrict how big, lean, etc. they can become. For me, "huge" is 6', 280 lbs, <10% bodyfat - basically, a pro bodybuilder. The vast majority of the population will never be able to reach that level no matter what they do, but I would guess that most people can make big changes relative to their untrained starting point.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
basically like Special K was saying, just cut back on your diet. If you don't want to get any bigger and you want to maintain a leaner look. Keep the calories right around your maintenance point and keep lifting hard. I would recommend changing up your routine once in a while anyway though.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Not sure what your routine is but possibly lowering the weight a little bit and performing more reps.