Weightlifting question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MartyMcFly3

Lifer
Jan 18, 2003
www.youtube.com
Originally posted by: IHateMyJob2004
Originally posted by: MartyMcFly3
Originally posted by: NuclearNed
Originally posted by: NuclearNed
Do you lift the bar off the bench yourself on the first rep, or does someone help you?

Depends how I'm feeling. Usually I do it on my own until I get to the 125-135 mark.
I warm up at 75lbs/12 reps and 95lbs/8-10reps. My goal is to get 1 rep at 155-160lbs, and aside from the first rep issue, I think i can power my way through it (i've come pretty close to doing it already) I just need that first rep thing figured out. :(

Apparently some people I lift with believe that lifting the bar off the bench takes a lot of the strength out of you. They are always offering to hand the bar to me, or at least to help me get it off the rack. I don't know if there is any truth here or not, but its something to think about.

The reason I ask all this stuff is because im testing to become a police officer and have to bench 98% of my body weight. At the testing, I can get a lift off, and plan to... I also think I can power my way through lifting the weight if I overcome this first rep issue. I only have to do 1 rep at the testing.

WHAT! When I was at my best, I never could do more than about 75% of my body weight. And I was a monster that was like an oxe relative to others. I could probably do 160 pounds when I weighed 200.

I'm guessing that this is a way of making sure that an officer can man handle someone. But a 100 pound officer in a fight with a 300 pound man has no chance if he can only bench 100 pounds.

Yeah it's all part of Illinois' POWER Test. We're required to:
1) 1 rep Bench @ 98% of your body weight - my issue
2) Run 1.5 miles in about 13:45 (for my age group) - Got this
3) 37 situps in a minute - Got this
4) Sit and Reach test - Got this as well

You can understand why I'm frustrated. Once I accomplish #1 there wont be any limitations.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Originally posted by: psteng19
Originally posted by: Sukhoi
If I can squat 225 but can't bench my bodyweight am I weak?

Weak arms/chest, decent legs/back.

That's my point. A triangle man is going to have no better of a chance controlling a criminal than I would. Sure he'd be able to give a great bearhug, but good luck actually moving the guy. I might not be able to give as good of a hug, but I could move the guy around.

You are either fat or not squatting properly. Remember when it comes to squats if your legs arent PAST parallel with the ground it aint for sh1t.

Not fat. 6'1" 173 lbs. I was at 13% BF in October, I think it's around 12% now. I squat to parallel. Not one of those sissies that goes down about 6 inches.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Try scooting up on the bench more. Make sure your head is beyond the plumb line of the bar when it's racked.

If your head isn't far enough up on the bench, when you take the bar off the rack, you have to use some very weird muscles to get it to the plane of you nipple line.

Also, make sure your shoulder blades are squeezed together, and the top of your back and your butt are the only two things touching the bench. A lot of people do bench press with their entire back, flat on the bench. This is bad form. You want to have a big arch in your back, with your shoulder blades almost touching each other, and your feet pulled back under your butt.

http://strengthnspeed.tripod.com/images/BenchPress.jpg

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Sukhoi
Not fat. 6'1" 173 lbs. I was at 13% BF in October, I think it's around 12% now. I squat to parallel. Not one of those sissies that goes down about 6 inches.

if your ass isn't at the most 6 inches from the ground, you are squatting like a sissy :p

it amazes me how many people do stuff wrong at the gym just to make them think they are strong. sometimes i spot this guy (i hate spotting strangers but if they ask me i will spot em) and he will throw 275 on the bench and be like "im gonna try to do 5." he'll then have me help him get it off the bench, and he'll literally move it about an inch or 2 closer to his chest.

this guy probably weighs like 165lbs and is about 5'10 (little shorter than me). he has looked the same in over a year. he probably couldn't even do 185lbs if he benched properly.

there are plenty of people at the gym like this though. i just do not understand why some people go for so long and don't do stuff right. if i was going for so long and didn't see any physical difference, i would definitely think i'm doing something wrong.

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
you may have injured one of your rotator cuff muscles...seek medical attention and do not lift anymore until you have figured it out...you screw it up even more..you are looking at a long pain rehab...

jC

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: 91TTZ

The reason I ask all this stuff is because im testing to become a police officer and have to bench 98% of my body weight. At the testing, I can get a lift off, and plan to... I also think I can power my way through lifting the weight if I overcome this first rep issue. I only have to do 1 rep at the testing.

That's going to let some pretty weak police officers into the force.

Benching body weight has very little to do with how effective a police officer you are.

Anyways, as far as being a "weak officer, I weigh 205, and can only bench around 170. However I can outrun 95% of the officers where I work, and can outshoot 95% as well. I can beat smaller but stronger guys at ground fighting.

By no means am I the toughest cop, but I can only bench 82% of my bodyweight and can hold my own just fine. Working on the strength part too of course.

TheCanuck

Apr 28, 2003
I weight 200lbs and rep 250lbs 8-10 times...so would that make me a Super Cop? :laugh:

Best way to improve your bench is to do other types of chest exercises as well -- incline bench, decline, dumbell flyes and work the triceps, shoulders,back etc. Breathing right and proper spacing of your hands / feet also help for stability (too wide / too narrow and you won't get a good lift).

And if you're looking for a quick increase to help pass the test try some creatine mixed with grape juice for a few weeks. It does aid in muscle recovery and can improve strength with no side effects. Plus it's legal!

MartyMcFly3

Lifer
Jan 18, 2003
www.youtube.com
Originally posted by: Chunkee
you may have injured one of your rotator cuff muscles...seek medical attention and do not lift anymore until you have figured it out...you screw it up even more..you are looking at a long pain rehab...

jC

As i said before, I dont really think its an injury just because after I get help with the first Im able to do some on my own. I cant believe how much this thread grew over night. Thanks guys. Youve given me a lot to think about/work on so far. :)

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: TallBill

Benching body weight has very little to do with how effective a police officer you are.

Anyways, as far as being a "weak officer, I weigh 205, and can only bench around 170. However I can outrun 95% of the officers where I work, and can outshoot 95% as well. I can beat smaller but stronger guys at ground fighting.

By no means am I the toughest cop, but I can only bench 82% of my bodyweight and can hold my own just fine. Working on the strength part too of course.

By my rough calculations, bench determines between 99%-100% of how good a cop, athlete, or even person you are. I don't have a calculator, though, so the number might be off.