Weight limits on carry-ons for air travel

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I hope to do (a bunch of) traveling. I have an as-yet unused passport, just researched and bought my first piece of rolling luggage, a Chester Minima carry-on. Have been shopping for and buying some packing cubes. I researched the luggage online, extensively... kinda fun! One maker of a video I watched said that for travel to Europe (it was made 2-3 years ago), there was a 16lb limit for carry-ons! That blows my mind! My Chester Minima weighs 6lb 13oz. Keeping it under 16lb would be a challenge. I was hoping to bring a backpack to shove under the seat in front of me, a Timbuk2 Spire. That weighs 2.5lb empty.

I am used to flying locally, have made some longer trips in the US, don't remember having weight restrictions to worry about, although I suppose there are for checked luggage, which I've done a few times, never had to pay an airline for my luggage accommodation IIRC.

So, I'm wondering, what kind of restrictions do I have to concern myself with? One reviewer (who's pretty awesome, Sarah Murdoch of Rick Steves Tours) in a 70 minute video to a big auditorium full of people, said she's gone so far as to remove clothes from her luggage and go in the women's room and layer them thick, even shoving shoes in her pockets, to get around restrictions!

Is it 16lb total weight of your carry-ons for international travel to Europe? Per item? Do such rules apply to other international travels? Do these rules vary from airline to airline? I know that some smaller airlines have tighter restrictions for dimensions for carry-ons, saw that in my online research over the last couple weeks, but other than what I said here, that's all I know. Thanks for info/tips!

Last edited: