Question Weighing two options for new mini PC

NewSilkTurtle

Apr 8, 2002
I hope you tech-savvy members can help one who is far less knowledgeable. I am trying to decide which of two items is better for me, or if neither one is what I need.

1.) https://www.asrockind.com/en-gb/4X4 BOX-R1000M
2.) https://www.asrockind.com/en-gb/4X4 BOX-V1000M

They are also listed on NewEgg:
1.) https://www.newegg.com/asrock-4x4-box-r1000m/p/N82E16856158076
2.) https://www.newegg.com/asrock-4x4-box-v1000m/p/N82E16856158065

One has the AMD Ryzen Embedded R1606G and the other has the V1605B. I can read the detailed technical specifications on each of them, but it doesn't tell me much because I am unfamiliar with many of the terms used.

What I need to know, in simple "layman" terms, is how might I notice a difference while using them.

I would also like to know the following:
1.) Can the exact same type of RAM be used in each one?
2.) Can a 2.5" SSD be used with either, both or neither?

I know my questions reveal just how ignorant I am in this realm. Please be patient with me? Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
A. Wrong forum

B. It is impossible for anyone to speculate on "how might I notice a difference while using them" without you specifying what you will be using them for?

C. It says right on the product page "2 x 260Pin SO-DIMM DDR4 2400" for both

D. Neither one of these systems are usable with a 2.5" SSD

. . .

Either one of these systems are a poor fit for you. The level of assembly required either:
1. Exceeds your technical expertise
or
2. Exceeds the amount of time you are willing to spend reading the spec sheet

Sincerely,
Leeea

• Wow
Reactions: GodisanAtheist

NewSilkTurtle

Apr 8, 2002
To Leeea:

A. I posted here because it seemed to me like the only real difference is in the graphics department. Which other forum would be better?

B. I do a little bit of everything.

C. As I understood it, there are minor differences in RAM that might apply in this case.

D. I spoke with a rather surly technician at ASRock yesterday who said that #2 in the OP has space for a 2.5" SSD. I hadn't noticed the similarity to #1 at the time of the conversation or I would have called back but he had already hung up on me twice.

1. I learn fast. I have built several desktops and done laptop repairs but have never dealt with a mini PC and am not up on the technology.

2. Reading the "spec sheet" doesn't help a lot when one is unfamiliar with a lot of the terms used!

Thanks for your help...

Reactions: Leeea

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
2. Reading the "spec sheet" doesn't help a lot when one is unfamiliar with a lot of the terms used!
The V1605B is between 0.8x to 10x faster depending on application. It is much faster in the "graphics department".

As I understood it, there are minor differences in RAM that might apply in this case.
News to me.

I spoke with a rather surly technician at ASRock yesterday who said that #2 in the OP has space for a 2.5" SSD.
Yea. I know exactly how he feels.

Last edited:

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Suppose I am watching a movie. What would "faster" look like?
No visible difference? They both have the exact same decode.

The primary difference will be in web browsing, system response, and rendering any 3d elements. Everyday usage on V1605B will feel much faster/smoother.

Last edited:
Reactions: NewSilkTurtle

zir_blazer

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2013
The Ryzen Embedded R1000 and V1000 series are pin compatible between them, you will even see embedded vendors that use the same Motherboard to solder in either one. V1000 is more expensive, has models with better specifications, and some models with a higher TDP range (Which doesn't apply here since they're both 15W TDP Processors, but the highest V1000 models have 45W TDP). So between those two, you can pretty much directly compare their specifications (2C vs 4C and a GPU with 128 units vs 512. The numbers are pretty clear).
Whenever the case that contains the Motherboard is the same between both models or not is another matter.

NewSilkTurtle

Apr 8, 2002
I found the answer on the 2.5" SSD. It mounts in the bottom of the case, according to the user manual I found. Both models are same in that respect. They don't recommend using a 2.5" SSD unless you keep the unit upright due to heat issues. That could be solved by mounting vertically on back of monitor.

Wouldn't the V1000 create more heat than the R1000 also?

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I found the answer on the 2.5" SSD. It mounts in the bottom of the case, according to the user manual I found. Both models are same in that respect. They don't recommend using a 2.5" SSD unless you keep the unit upright due to heat issues. That could be solved by mounting vertically on back of monitor.

Wouldn't the V1000 create more heat than the R1000 also?
You are correct, about the SSD.

And I would get the 1605B since they are so close in price. You get double the number of CPU cores and threads, and much better graphics. Which will matter over the course of ownership, as the G model will have all 4 threads being pegged at 100 percent far too often in far too many apps.

I had a ASRock deskmini 300W and the bios was pretty full featured. If ASRock did that with these 4x4s you may be able to set the power profile for the APU if heat and noise are an issue. Alternatively the Radeon software that is included with the drivers may give you access. Ryzen Master is another option if the others don't work.