Weed eaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I need yet another one. The last one was a Ryobi 4 stroke, without doubt the worst piece of shit I've ever had the displeasure of owning.

What's the best value? I assume that Stihl is the way to go, is there something else I should be looking at? I want a quality tool, not another piece of crap designed to run for a hundred hours. Does DeWalt make a trimmer?

Thanks in advance.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Depending on how much area you need to cover you might consider a cordless one.

May 13, 2009
I have a homelite (home depot store brand) that's lasted me 9 years and that's with my brother borrowing it every weekend for a couple of those years. Cheapest one they had in the entire store. I bet its outlived thousands of pricier ones that were bought at the same time.

I'm just one guy that might have got lucky? I wouldn't spend big money on a weed eater. Lawnmower or chainsaw I can see the point.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
I have a homelite (home depot store brand)

Uh, no. Homelite was founded in the 1920s and had a long history of professional-grade products. While Home Depot is the only US/Canada distributor for Homelite, the two brands are not otherwise connected and Home Depot does NOT own the Homelite brand.

Over the past 20 years or so, Homelite has shifted focus to consumer-grade products and the company is now owned by the same parent company as Ryobi (Techtronic Industries). Modern Homelite products are going to be essentially identical to Ryobis.

As for the OP, either Stihl or Echo. I tend towards Echo myself because they're what my father used (he has a 20+ year old Echo trimmer that still runs perfectly), but I've heard very good things about Stihl as well. I've been nothing but happy with my Echo SRM-265S. All Echo trimmers have a 5-year consumer warranty, but I doubt you'd have to use it.

ZV

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Had to make a Home depot run, they sell Echo, so I picked one up. 300 hour rated engine life and a 5 year warranty. I hope it holds up.

I use tools every day, unless it's a one time use tool, I buy the best I can find. I absolutely hate cheap tools, they will always fail, and generally I end up with four men at a standstill because of it.

Thanks for the advice guy's.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Uh, no. Homelite was founded in the 1920s and had a long history of professional-grade products. While Home Depot is the only US/Canada distributor for Homelite, the two brands are not otherwise connected and Home Depot does NOT own the Homelite brand.

Over the past 20 years or so, Homelite has shifted focus to consumer-grade products and the company is now owned by the same parent company as Ryobi (Techtronic Industries). Modern Homelite products are going to be essentially identical to Ryobis.

As for the OP, either Stihl or Echo. I tend towards Echo myself because they're what my father used (he has a 20+ year old Echo trimmer that still runs perfectly), but I've heard very good things about Stihl as well. I've been nothing but happy with my Echo SRM-265S. All Echo trimmers have a 5-year consumer warranty, but I doubt you'd have to use it.

ZV

I had wondered what happened to Homelite. They used to make pretty good equipment. I had a Homelite generator that died somewhere around a thousand hours of use. Of course when it died I needed another one that day, and couldn't find a Honda, so I own yet another Homelite.

Status
Not open for further replies.