Web Hosting

UDT89

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
I've been looking at hosting and this seems good

Dixie Hosting

it was given to me in another post i made.

Basically im gonna spend at most $100 for the year. Their $100/year plan is excellent, but i dont need 50 emails. I would rather have more room or transfer. The site is gonna have many many pictures, a forums area, video content, and other things.

Anyone know a good place to go? Or how much i need in a package to support it?

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
bascially the amount you pay for is just the transfer.. hard disk space and emails make up a very small portion of the price you pay for hosting.

also look here for more info link

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
what rallispec said. not sure how much extra bandwidth would be (without going to the next plan up), but from what i understand, it's a one-time charge of $20 for an extra 200MB of storage.. i'd double check that though.. :)

on a side note, i hope the lag goes away on server 12 since the move to the new data center.. when i ping my site, it gets about the same response as i did at the old data center, but going to my empty forums, it takes a few seconds before it starts to load..

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: dakata24
what rallispec said. not sure how much extra bandwidth would be (without going to the next plan up), but from what i understand, it's a one-time charge of $20 for an extra 200MB of storage.. i'd double check that though.. :)

on a side note, i hope the lag goes away on server 12 since the move to the new data center.. when i ping my site, it gets about the same response as i did at the old data center, but going to my empty forums, it takes a few seconds before it starts to load..

supposedly it should be working fine by monday, at least thats what i've heard. i hope so-- becuase it is kind of annoying.

UDT89

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
im still reading up on the lingo of web hosting.

can you guys show me links to sites and approx. how much space it has as well as transfer?

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
i think the best thing to do is to goto WebhostingTalk Forums that rallispec linked to earlier, and goto Web Hosting Requests, list your storage/bandwidth requirements and the type things you plan to do on your site. since these guys/gals do this for a living, they'd probably have a better idea on how much bandwidth/storage you'll be needing depending on what you'll have on your site.

if you want to get a better idea on bandwidth for sites, you can always check out user profiles at dixiesys forums. if they have their website address shown, just goto http://www.their_domain.com/webstat that will show you the amount of bandwidth the sites uses..

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: ffmcobalt
I pay $3.95 / month for 600MB webspace and 10GB per month transfer limit via DixieSys. I love them.

nik

same here. can't get a better deal if you ask me.

TranceNation

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2001
I pay $3.95 / month for 600MB webspace and 10GB per month transfer limit via DixieSys. I love them.

nik

how did you get that? i thought it was 200mb and 2 gig for 3.95?

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: TranceNation

nik

how did you get that? i thought it was 200mb and 2 gig for 3.95?
july 2 for 1 deal

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000

nik

woah. how'd you manage that? that's better than the july 2 for 1 special.. i only get 400MB/6GB transfers per month for $39.50 (paid yearly) :(.. well, it's not like im going to use it up... i'll probably use up under 1 percent of my transfer limit this month.. what a waste.. :eek:

back on subject UDT89, i think the medium site plan with 7.5GB transfers is plenty (is the video content portion going to be a main feature with alot of traffic?).. and if you ever need more storage, it's that one-time $20 for 200MB..

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
You can upgrade your service for a one-time fee. +200MB for $20 fee. I got two of them. Then, for $2/GB, you can upgrade your transfer limits. And... apparently... I'm still paying $3.95 :D :D :D

nik

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
If you ask nicely Dixiesys is willing to work with ya on a customized plan.

I second what dakata24 suggested, that's how Adul found the perfect webhosting company for her website.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
*** OFFICIAL ***

Got official confirmation that my bill every month is still only going to be $3.95 for 400MB of space and 10GB transfer :D :D :D

*** CONFIRMED ***

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
*** OFFICIAL ***

Got official confirmation that my bill every month is still only going to be $3.95 for 400MB of space and 10GB transfer :D :D :D

*** CONFIRMED ***

:p

thing is though, i never use more than 3gb / 200mb

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Rallispec
*** OFFICIAL ***

*** CONFIRMED ***

That includes your forums?

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: RossMAN
*** OFFICIAL ***

*** CONFIRMED ***

That includes your forums?

yep, the forums run about 2 gigs a month, with gzip compression turned on

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
php is really easy on the bandwidth, and since people are pretty good about not going overboard on avatars and sigs and pictures and stuff.. it all helps.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i need to set my dixiesys account back up... i was on the server that got taken down... really i only used it for pics. which my pair account could handle if i could remember what my password is...

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
i need to set my dixiesys account back up... i was on the server that got taken down... really i only used it for pics. which my pair account could handle if i could remember what my password is...

how long ago did it get taken down ? do you mean server 5?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: ElFenix

how long ago did it get taken down ? do you mean server 5?

like 3 weeks ago i think.

Maverick2002

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2000
I haven't read this thread (no time/patience) but HERE is the company that hosts our website. They basically use unmanaged RackShack servers and provide their own 24/7 tech support. They have flexible plans too and I'm sure you can get a plan custom configured if you know who to talk to. Email me if you're interested.