Web hosting advice

Lcarvone

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
Hey folks,

My Dad has an education consulting business he is trying to grow and wants to set up a simple website to post service information, testimonials, contacts, online references, point, etc. and then down the road add additional content like audio seminars and service forms. I'll more than likely be the one to set this up for him in between taking care of the kids and work. Also I am pretty weak when it comes to HTML or other coding so a site with free "site builder" type software would be great.

My overall question is I'd appreciate some suggestions on web hosts. I have seen ads for 1and1 in MaximumPC magazine as well as some others but I'd prefer first hand knowledge from forum members.

Thanks in advance

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Lcarvone
Hey folks,

My Dad has an education consulting business he is trying to grow and wants to set up a simple website to post service information, testimonials, contacts, online references, point, etc. and then down the road add additional content like audio seminars and service forms. I'll more than likely be the one to set this up for him in between taking care of the kids and work. Also I am pretty weak when it comes to HTML or other coding so a site with free "site builder" type software would be great.

My overall question is I'd appreciate some suggestions on web hosts. I have seen ads for 1and1 in MaximumPC magazine as well as some others but I'd prefer first hand knowledge from forum members.

Thanks in advance

try bestnet.net, which is a subsidiary of cybercon.com

basic webhosting for $10 per month. Very stable, backups taken routinely. one of the best networks in the world. (challenge it)

Ziptar

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2001
I have a complaint about Telnap. My site has been unavailable for over 24 hours and no response to my open ticket either. email is still working but, no http. It's happened a couple times in the last couple months. This is the second ticket I have opened and have not gotten a response.

I am moving my site to hopstpc, Hopefully Telnap will come up long enough for me to get a back up. Their support site and forums have been non existent for a long while I am not even sure they are in business anymore.

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Ziptar
I have a complaint about Telnap. My site has been unavailable for over 24 hours and no response to my open ticket either. email is still working but, no http. It's happened a couple times in the last couple months. This is the second ticket I have opened and have not gotten a response.

I am moving my site to hopstpc, Hopefully Telnap will come up long enough for me to get a back up. Their support site and forums have been non existent for a long while I am not even sure they are in business anymore.

you get what you pay for, simple as that. When i was looking for a webhost years ago, the guy from telnap contacted me on here. Needless to say my impression of him was less than desirable. I'd rather give $10/month to a "real" company than to someone who bought a server and resells the space. granted a lot of companies out there do it, but they do it for a living. like you said, I dont think it was a "business," if you ask me it was ONE guy who threw up a website and said "host with me."

having said that, I would recommend asmallorange or hostpc.

Washoe

Nov 13, 2003
My first recommendation for hosting services is alwaysTotal Choice Hosting. I've been with them for a few years now and have no complaints. My sites are always available, email is always reliable, and the support is always prompt and actually beyond expectations.

That being said, since you say you are new and you want some site builder help, you might want to look into 1 and 1. I hear they do offer site building tools, however, be advised, site building tools usually aren't all they are cracked up to be, at least not in my experience. You usually end up with this template that you are stuck with (can't change the images, can't do much with the headers, etc) - all you can really do with those is put in your own text and maybe a place for your own logo (which must be a certain size requirement, otherwise it throws out the design of the pages).

If you decide you would like to 'outsource' setting up a more customized site, send me a PM.

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Washoe
My first recommendation for hosting services is alwaysTotal Choice Hosting. I've been with them for a few years now and have no complaints. My sites are always available, email is always reliable, and the support is always prompt and actually beyond expectations.

You're kidding right? Don't let Rossman see this! ;)

If you visit their site, their SSL cert is invalid. No way I'm giving them my CC info.

Washoe

Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: LuckyTaxi
My first recommendation for hosting services is always Total Choice Hosting.

If you visit their site, their SSL cert is invalid. No way I'm giving them my CC info.

Nope not kidding... who is Rossman?

Their cert is not invalid - it looks like they do their secure transactions on a subdomain (ssl.totalchoicehosting.com) instead of the main site.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: LuckyTaxi
My first recommendation for hosting services is always Total Choice Hosting.

Nope not kidding... who is Rossman?

Their cert is not invalid - it looks like they do their secure transactions on a subdomain (ssl.totalchoicehosting.com) instead of the main site.

:Q