Web Browser Mining Standard API?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Honestly, I think that the rush to block SURREPTITIOUS mining in web browsers, is throwing the baby out with the bath-water.

Internet "ads" have been a mainstay of the "free" internet, ever since it went commercial. Users have long complained about them.

What if, there was a way to "pay" sites that you visit, a small fee, via mining, that was OPT-IN, and CONTROLLABLE by the USER?

No need for a transaction account, micro-payment system, or anything of that nature. Just use a little extra CPU / GPU time and electricity on a modern low-power / high-end PC.

What we need for this, are APIs, built into web browsers and then web pages/sites, that enable this browser-controlled mining activity to happen in the background, and not interrupt every time you change pages on a site, only run in the background while you are on that site.

This would be more preferable to me (use a little extra CPU time), rather than either: 1) have to put up with ads, or 2) have to put up with a paywall after X articles on that site were read.

As a side note, this would greatly help legitimize CC rather than stigmatize it, as might happen should Firefox go ahead with blocking CC mining automatically, as if it were some sort of evil technology. (It's not, it's a tool, like ads, that can help pay for a site's existence. Some of us would prefer donating a little extra CPU time, rather than watch ads. As a bonus, the money would be going directly, more-or-less, to the site, in the form of that CC, rather than funneled downstream through a flurry of shady ad networks.)

I even suggest, having support for "mining plug-ins", like a version of NiceHash on Windows, that would integrate into the web browser, and when surfing a "mining supported site", the site would present a URL (CC address), for mining to, and the user could allow/deny it, and if allowed, it would be passed on to the mining plug-in, and mining would commence in the background. The plug-in mechanism would allow for it to be native or near-native code for performance reasons (rather than the horribly inefficient (?) JavaScript-based mining scripts), AND allow usage of GPU mining, for much better performance and profits.

There are some small things to work out, like, what if you have two "mining supported sites" open in your web browser, should they split the profits of mining (should the mining plug-in be instanced, with both mining URLs running at the same time, each sucking down half the available CPU time allocated for mining in the browser config (like BOINC does)), or should it be like web pages with audio, and have it pause the mining, if that page isn't currently in the foreground (probably the best/easiest implementation).

Edit: There could be other usages as well. People could open a "mining supported site", for a charity, perhaps, and just leave it running in the background, donating CPU time and power towards that cause. Another, could be, allow user-specified URLs for mining, for the end-user to use the browser to mine their own CC to their own wallet address(es), basically, as a more-or-less portable/multi-platform mining software app.

There are a lot of possibilities here. (Along with some distributed-computing hooks possible too, like a F@H URL or something of that nature. But that might get more complex.)

Edit: This would also go a long way towards paying internet radio stations, considering their fairly-high regulated internet broadcasting fees for playing music, much higher than traditional radio broadcast fees. Likewise, for internet "streamers". Imagine, having 1000 people watching your stream, most/all of them, mining away on ETH or BTC or whatever is mineable on a CPU or GPU these days that's worth anything (XMR? Monero?). That could be HUGE!

Edit: There would need to be browser configuration for the mining plug-in(s), to limit CPU/GPU usage, as to not take necessary performance away from content viewing. (I have to stop NH when viewing a 4K60P video on YouTube, but I can keep mining if the video is 1080P.)

Edit: The more that I think about this, this could be done with existing infrastructure in browsers! Just add URL schema handlers in the plug-in, for BTC, ETH, etc., all the different CC types that the plug-in would handle, and then the web site would open a pop-up or additional tab, containing the mining URL, and then the plug-in would automatically be called to handle that. I think that this is totally feaseable right now, without any special browser modifications. Someone just needs to write some plug-in code, possibly the NiceHash guys, to integrate things. That would be really sweet!

Last edited:

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
why would anyone want this? so you dont have a AD in the sites corner? I would rather pay a fee then give anyone access to my cpu / gfx / etc. I pay different fees already for VPN usenet few websites are yearly donation. No problem by me rather pay a little then waste time / silly hoops to save 25 cents.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Not everyone wants to make individual payments to individual sites. Plus, the site would get compensated, according to the number and length of your visits. (Ok, some ads do that too.)

But ads are visually distracting and annoying, and sometimes a security risk. It would be way better, in my opinion, to "pay" some CPU/GPU time towards the site, and they make the money directly off of that.

Do you really want to pay $0.25 every time that you go to a site?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Yeah, why would anyone want this? CC in itself is a scam, do not want to have anything to do with it.

Use ad-block plugins for browsers
or setup pi-hile DNS https://pi-hole.net/
(tested with DietPi VMware image , https://dietpi.com/#download)
or use adguard DNS https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html
even my freshtomato flashed router has ad-blocking feature.

Sometimes these DNS based ad-blocking solutions do cause problems for some legit websites (might need to turn debugging what's causing problems) so I still prefer ad-blocking plugins, which are easier to control/configure.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, why would anyone want this? CC in itself is a scam, do not want to have anything to do with it.
I disagree completely, but let's leave it at that.

Use ad-block plugins for browsers
or setup pi-hile DNS https://pi-hole.net/
(tested with DietPi VMware image , https://dietpi.com/#download)
or use adguard DNS https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html
even my freshtomato flashed router has ad-blocking feature.

Sometimes these DNS based ad-blocking solutions do cause problems for some legit websites (might need to turn debugging what's causing problems) so I still prefer ad-blocking plugins, which are easier to control/configure.
Block all ads? And don't offer an alternative for revenue? Watch your favorite sites and streamers, slowly disappear, I guess, and then the internet will become an arid desert of bot-sites, if we got your way. (Edit: Or hassle all visitors for micro-payments. CC mining would offer a relatively unobtrusive payment scheme instead, IMHO.)

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I disagree completely, but let's leave it at that.

Block all ads? And don't offer an alternative for revenue? Watch your favorite sites and streamers, slowly disappear, I guess, and then the internet will become an arid desert of bot-sites, if we got your way. (Edit: Or hassle all visitors for micro-payments. CC mining would offer a relatively unobtrusive payment scheme instead, IMHO.)

lulz my favorite sites i pay money for, and would much rather pay then a hidden amount (gpu / cpu time) that will likely cause my power bill to rise more then they will even be making. (not to mention hardware failure) Like browser hijacking wouldnt be a concern because no visible ads? how about you mine and then donate to the site.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Like browser hijacking wouldnt be a concern because no visible ads? how about you mine and then donate to the site.
Well, as I mentioned, it would be OPT-IN, and the browser would prompt for a Allow/Deny choice, when encountering a site like that, it wouldn't be "browser hi-jacking" in my model.

Sure, you could mine and donate too, but... see, that's an extra step. One that most people, wouldn't be willing to actually do, for most casually-browsed sites. This would be more or less hassle-free, with only a slightly-increased power bill. (I admit, in some parts of the world, where power costs more than in the USA, and in areas of the world without steady electricity and adequate supply (rolling brown-outs, having to keep on UPS just to stay online), then this might not be an adequate solution. But, the user could select the level of CPU / GPU usage of the mining plug-in, in theory, and donate more or less CPU / GPU time and electricity.)