Weak WiFi signal from router

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
Just got a referb E2000.

The router is in one end of the house and the wireless-N blu-ray player is in the other. I'd say roughly 60ft with 6-8 walls in between. Zero signal to the player which I guess is understandable.

However, the Wii that is 2 rooms over so about 20ft and 2 walls gets 1 bar. That just seems bad imo.

Is this normal?
Should I send it back?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
"60ft with 6-8 walls in between".

Any Router will "S**k". under this condition. Wireless was Not designed to go through 6-8 walls.

Get one, or more Wireless Routers, lay a cable out of the main Router's room to one or two central location in the house and install the secondary Wireless Routers as an Access Point.

Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

:cool:

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
"60ft with 6-8 walls in between".

Any Router will "S**k". under this condition. Wireless was Not designed to go through 6-8 walls.

Yeah, I already knew that. I was more concerned about the 1 bar @ 20ft and 2 walls.

Mr.Wolfclaw

Jul 31, 2011
Well that was informative.
:p

If you look around the number of people including myself that have had major issues with the E series due to poor wireless signal/performance and buggy firmware.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
maybe throw ddwrt on it and play with the radio mW settings. i know my old netgear was crap until i actually lowered the radio power down to like 40mW i think. then the reach and reliability shoots way up... might just be my specific model though.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
maybe throw ddwrt on it and play with the radio mW settings. i know my old netgear was crap until i actually lowered the radio power down to like 40mW i think. then the reach and reliability shoots way up... might just be my specific model though.

The Scientific explanation.

What the Signal Strength Bars mean in Wireless hardware?

http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html

Mr.Wolfclaw

Jul 31, 2011
I'm happy your e4200 is working, your in a exclusive group.

I tried various firmware for the E4200, official, DD-WRT, Tomato and although the later two improved performance, a lot of features still didn't work, 5ghz N, USB, media streaming and the like which I purchased the E4200 to do and have now replaced with a Netgear WNDR3700 and not looked back.

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
There was a batch of "E series" units with bad radios. However the other things to try is switching channels. You may have a lot of interference around you such as other networks, baby monitors, security systems, phones etc. They can seriously wreck performance. To give you reference... around my area in the last 2 years about 8 new "2WIREXXX" and other misc named networks have appeared. I personally just pulled cable to get decent performance only 80 feet away.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
LOL, what a big to do for a $35 (free shipping) piece of plastic with few Oz of silicone and metal.

5 BigMac's type of meals for the same money do much more damage and go down the drain in few hours to begin with.

:colbert: - :'( - D: - o_O - :p

Just a little perspective.