Question Weak sound on Fujitsu laptop

KarolR2

Jun 12, 2018
I have an old Fujitsu Lifebook U Series and the music plays weak and a bit strange. i don't think it was always like that.
It has a Realtek High Definition Audio driver which looks O.K in Control Panel

taisingera

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2005
It could be the speakers. If the laptop is very old, the seal on the speakers gets brittle and sound either distorts, gets low or goes out completely. I have an old Dell XPS17 and the left speaker volume has gotten low compared to the right.

taisingera

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2005
Try ebay or Amazon. I just use external USB speakers since it is a 17" laptop that doesn't get moved. Did you try using headphones to see if music sounded strange via headphone jack? If not then it is probably the speakers. If it sounds strange with headphones, check for the latest Realtek driver or it may be the sound chip on motherboard going bad.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Ensure that the issue isnt the audio out jack. These jacks employ switching mechanisms to switch the speakers out then over to the jack that has been inserted (typically external speaker or headphone set). Over time sometimes these internal switch contacts oxidize or become dirty from dust resulting in poor or intermittent contact. (Typically crackling or weak sound or even sound out of just one speaker.)

Spray a drop of DEOXIT into the subject audio jack & cycle it a bunch of times using a headphone or external speaker jack (making & breaking the internal switching contacts) to determine if there is an output change due to poor contact. If the switching is the source of the problem, then cycling the switch mechanisms (particularly when using DEOXIT) almost always clears up the problem.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
pretty sure any speakers you can get to fit should work, perhaps a long search on ebay for the model number / serial of speaker after taking the laptop apart?

taisingera

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2005
Even if you do find the speakers for your laptop, you might have to take the whole laptop apart to replace them. It is true for my case Dell XPS L702X. I read the manual and saw that the speakers were the very last step.

KarolR2

Jun 12, 2018
I thank you all for the magnificent ideas. i can't go out and buy Deoxit now (i can buy Corona instead...)
But i will try. and the advice about the speakers as well, thanks, a very serious forum