We used to do Masters threads... maybe we'll do one this year?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
The Masters Golf Tournament started today. I'll post this thread here, just in case someone besides myself wants to talk about it.

I noticed that Tiger Woods shot 1 under par in the first round, leaving him currently three shots out of the lead. Not bad for an old man with a bum leg!

Reactions: brianmanahan

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Lets go Tiger! How great would it be to see him tie the wins record, or even beat it.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i've been watching on and off all day. this is usually one of my favorite weekends of the year.

i went to a practice round a long time ago and it was amazing. i really have to go back again.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
So as a complete casual on the sport can someone explain why the Masters is so early in the year? Isn't this the "Super Bowl" of golf?

I always found it strange to have such an event so early in the calendar. To me it seems like golfers don't have months needed to get into form.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
So as a complete casual on the sport can someone explain why the Masters is so early in the year? Isn't this the "Super Bowl" of golf?

I always found it strange to have such an event so early in the calendar. To me it seems like golfers don't have months needed to get into form.
I don't know if I would call it the superbowl especially since they have the FedEx cup championship or whatever it is called now. It is the tournament that most golfers grow up dreaming about winning though.

NASCAR has Daytona to begin the season and that was the superbowl of that "sport" until they also added a similar points/cup system.

As for why The Masters is this time of year I think it has to do with the magnolias or whatever being in bloom or something.

Reactions: Artorias

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
5 shot lead heading into the weekend...I can't recall that ever happening.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

Augusta Georgia is hot and humid as hell during summer. You wouldn't want to play golf there between June and August.

Besides, it's only 1 of 4 major championships on the PGA tour. The others are the PGA Championship, the US Open, and the Open Championship.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
after he crashed that SUV at 80-some MPH, i'm still shocked that he's walking without a cane let alone playing in the masters!
I heard him say the other day that his golf game is pretty solid... it's all the walking that might be a problem.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I can't believe so many people are this interested in watching golf...the game where watching the grass grow is literally the most exciting part...

Reactions: zinfamous

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I can't believe so many people are this interested in watching golf...the game where watching the grass grow is literally the most exciting part...

this.

golf is for ecoterrorists, racists, fascists, and apparently also brianmanahan for some reason.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
this.

golf is for ecoterrorists, racists, fascists, and apparently also brianmanahan for some reason.

boo, freezing cold take

it's the only sport old men like me can play. and anyone can play it with 50 bucks for some clubs and 10 bucks for green fees.

almost 100 years ago a relative of mine owned a couple hundred acre farm that was so hilly that it was a pain to plant and harvest

so he sold it to a friend who eventually gave up on farming it too, and turned it into a nice cheap golf course

and everyone in the community has been playing there for decades now

now private country clubs? those places are often full of stuck up people. i played one once (beautiful course!) and got paired with a rich dude and his bratty spoiled high school kid. but hey, if people have money to burn for a 25$k initiation and 10$k annual fee, nothing stopping them from building a club for other people like themselves.

that's what augusta is - and while it's hoity toity and extremely exclusive, for a week it's one of the most perfect places on earth.

Last edited:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

You should really try playing golf at some point. It's not as easy as it looks, and it will give you an appreciation for some of those magical shots that the top players pull off while watching it on TV.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Neither is doing a backflip, but that doesn't require destroying a few square miles of ecosystem to try.

didn't really seem to destroy the ecosystem when a golf course was built on farmland and is surrounded by fields that already gets herbicide/pesticide every year anyway

the course i play at seems to be the largest home for canada geese south of canada. the goose crap sometimes is like a minefield!

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
You should really try playing golf at some point. It's not as easy as it looks, and it will give you an appreciation for some of those magical shots that the top players pull off while watching it on TV.

apparently this forum has become a hotbed for ateeism
bfmd41m.png

we're gonna have to do an inquisition or something
jnHWXN4.gif

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
didn't really seem to destroy the ecosystem when a golf course was built on farmland and is surrounded by fields that already gets herbicide/pesticide every year anyway

the course i play at seems to be the largest home for canada geese south of canada. the goose crap sometimes is like a minefield!

I like golf courses. They're pretty to look at, and they tend to improve land values around them.

I think that they're easier on the eyes than a race track or a football stadium, anyway.

Reactions: brianmanahan